Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post workout shake... neccessity.... or hogwash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post workout shake... neccessity.... or hogwash!

I have found recently that I have been relying more on food instead of shakes... I eat tons of protien before a workout, and keep things like breads and pasta on hand post workout....

I dont know if im really noticing any difference... whats your take?

You need protein after your workout too bro.

Comment

For me shakes are more easier. I workout at lunch so I don't have time to come back to work and sit at my desk and heat and eat real food. Shakes I take to the gym ready, on the way back to work I down a whey/glycoload shake.

I would rather eat some chicken/beef and rice. After a work out I am starving.

Comment

Isn't the point of the shakes to get the carbs into your system faster than you would with food? Plus, you need simple sugars, dextrose/malto....which are easier just to incorporate with protein in a shake.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishgirl
          Isn't the point of the shakes to get the carbs into your system faster than you would with food? Plus, you need simple sugars, dextrose/malto....which are easier just to incorporate with protein in a shake.
          This can be done easily with a class of gatorade along with your meal.

Real food is always beter but shakes are easy. I myself have a shake with some fruit added right after a workout and then have a real meal about an hour after that.

Comment

i have "real food" with gatorade and/or water usually.

Comment

Protein shakes will be absorbes by the body at a quicker rate than solids. I always blen up two whole eggs with 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 tbs heavy whipping cream, 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder in 16oz od COLD water. An excellent carb/protein mix.

Comment

I think shakes are a pain in the a**. I hate haveing to clean a blender. I do real food - all the time and I don't think it has hindered my gains at all.

Comment

for me its food, i cannot drink a shake cause i feel weak and empty. Its got to be something really heavy and high in protein.

Comment

The current thinking is to get not only protein into your system within 60 mins of a workout, but also some glutamine product. this is certainly most easily done with one of the recovery shakes on the market. You can always wash doen your solid food protein with a glutamine drink.

Comment

a preworkout shake has shown to be more affective than PWO. Drink some simple carbs and protein right before the gym, then just hit up some good solid food when you get home

Comment

Before work out i'll down whey protein mixed with juice only. Then after my work out i'll have whey protein mixed with a carbo-force drink and a plate of solid food. I use a container instead of a blender because it's much quicker and easier to shake and mix up unless ofcourse your trying to add solids into the mix. Just eat your solids separate from your shake so you can just use a container which is much easier to use and clean.

Comment

Working...
                        X