Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workout program critique- overtraining? need adjustments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout program critique- overtraining? need adjustments?

I am wanting to switch from my current routine which has been higher rep more and more for hypertrophy. My goal is to gain strength and gain muscle definition. I would like input on what you guys think of this routine. Would I be training to much? not enough? do the set/rep ranges need to be changed? (to make things simpler than saying sets and reps behind each workout it will be put like this for example: 3*4-6 which means 3 sets for 4-6 reps) also any input is much appreciated!

MONDAY- LEGS
    SQUAT 4*4-6
    LEG PRESS 3*6-8
    LEG CURLS 3*6-8
    LUNGES 3*6-8
    DEADLIFT 3*8-12 (ON BOX LIGHTER WEIGHT)

TUESDAY – CHEST
    FLAT BARBELL BENCH PRESS 4*4-6
    INCLINE DUMBELL PRESS 3*6-8
    DUMBBELL FLYS 3*6-8
    CABLE FLYS 3*8-12 (high, middle, low for one set)

WEDNESDAY - BACK/MIDDLE&LOWER TRAPS
    WIDE GRIP PULLUPS 4*10
    STRAIGHT ARM CABLE PULLOVERS 3*6-8
    CLOSE GRIP CABLE PULLDOWN 3*6-8
    BENT OVER ROW 3*6-8
    WIDE OVERHAND GRIP SEATED ROWS 3*6-8

THURSDAY - LEGS
    SQUAT 4*4-6
    LEG PRESS 3*6-8
    LEG CURLS 3*6-8
    LUNGES 3*6-8
    DEADLIFT 3*8-12 (ON BOX LIGHTER WEIGHT)

FRIDAY – CHEST
    FLAT BARBELL BENCH PRESS 4*4-6
    INCLINE DUMBELL PRESS 3*6-8
    DUMBBELL FLYS 3*6-8
    CABLE FLYS 3*8-12 (high, middle, low for one set)

SATURDAY – SHOULDERS&UPPERTRAPS/ARMS
    SEATED SHOULDER PRESS 4*4-6
    ARNOLD PRESS 3*6-8
    FRONT LATERAL RAISES 3*6-8
    SIDE LATERAL RAISES 3*6-8
    UPRIGHT ROW 3*8-12
    BARBELL SHRUGS 3*6-8

SUNDAY – REST

if your natty its probably over doing it. if your on aas your fine.

Comment

From MY personal experience, 4x 6-8 reps or 5x5 reps HEAVY weight helped me with strength gains as long as adequate food intake was met and supplementation.

for high reps (4x18-20) with high intensity (about 45sec rest) I've noticed that I can reach a much stronger mind to muscle connection, there is much more pain to endure and it makes working out much more fun. My muscles also become more dense with high reps/high intensity.

I think if u want muscle definition, do high intensity workouts (short rest periods) and just make sure your diets dialed in to reveal and define your muscles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also supersets and dropsets are effective and fun as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Androman View Post
          Also supersets and dropsets are effective and fun as well.

thanks, been doing a higher rep routine with supersets and dropsets for about 4 weeks. I've liked the results thus far just lacking the strength gains a bit it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
            if your natty its probably over doing it. if your on aas your fine.
            Not on aas but will be taking sarms... Still overdoing it you think?

Comment

Originally posted by dgio View Post
              Not on aas but will be taking sarms... Still overdoing it you think?
              Yea. If your doing legs with intensity twice a week is 2 much for a natty. One body part per week. Heavy as you can go but with controlled range of motion.

Comment

I'm natural and I tend to lift heavy for my compound movements but during the isolated movements I just do what my body wants to do. Lifting is supposed to be a therapy so if high reps will help relieve stress, then high reps are the plan for the day, and vice versa when it comes to moving heavy weight.

Comment

You need to squat 5x5 with a weight you can complete for 6 reps. each week you add 10 lbs etc
                  Same goes with bench, 5x5 but instead you add 5 lbs.

also you need a light day for squat and bench. do like 5x8 reps with 70% of the weight used on the heavy days

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                    Yea. If your doing legs with intensity twice a week is 2 much for a natty. One body part per week. Heavy as you can go but with controlled range of motion.
                    thats not right at all.

you gotta squat / bench twice a week for optimal strength gains and technique improvements. the heavy day you go with 75-85% of your 1RM for 2-5 reps, and on the light days you stay at 60-70% of 1RM for sets of 5-8 reps to improve technique.

Comment

Originally posted by TR3N View Post
                      thats not right at all.

you gotta squat / bench twice a week for optimal strength gains and technique improvements. the heavy day you go with 75-85% of your 1RM for 2-5 reps, and on the light days you stay at 60-70% of 1RM for sets of 5-8 reps to improve technique.
                      That's false

No need to train twice a week for optimal strength, period.

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
                        That's false

No need to train twice a week for optimal strength, period.
                        If you run a Westside method type of program, sure you'll be squatting once a week. But there's evidence out there that suggest

high frequency + high volume + low intensity

is better than

low frequency + low volume + high intensity

Comment

but i can only speak for the natty people.

geared people respond good to anything in strength training.

Comment

Should post more often:D

Comment

Working...
                            X