Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I take an exercise physiology graduate class two nights a week. The guy who teaches my lab trains most of the islanders. He was trying to explain to me that i would get the same resutlts if I did one set to failure of a certain bodypart (say chest) than if i did 3 sets to failure of the same bodypart. He was trying to say, that if you do one set to failure (perfect form, etc.) then the rest is just overkill.

He gave me a sample workout for chest:

Incline - 1 set to failure
    Flat Bench - 1 set to failure
    Decline - 1 set to failure
    Fly's - 1 set to failure

So in other words it would only be 4 sets for my entire chest workout. He went it to it more deeply, as far as stimulating the certain muscle fibers (1,2,2a,2b) and said there is plenty of research to back this up. I just want to know if anyone has ever heard of this. It didnt make too much sense to me, just because it goes against everything I have ever done. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Im no excercise phisiologist but I dont believe it. I would say between 10-15 set is optimal. That is for big muscle groups such as legs chest and back.6- 10 sets for small grops like bi's tris' and shoulders.
    Last edited by speedracer59; 12-11-03, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I never heard anything like it, but if it were true, you'd think more people would have adopted this. It would sure cut down on gym time!!

Comment

didn't Dorian use something similar to this method? or was it, he only counted his final set his 1 set... everything else was "warming up"? i dunno, but i recall reading sometihng about Dorian training like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishgirl
          I never heard anything like it, but if it were true, you'd think more people would have adopted this. It would sure cut down on gym time!!
          Thats my only aruement against this. Why wouldnt everyone be working out like this because god knows it would cut down on time.

Comment

Originally posted by GearTripper
            didn't Dorian use something similar to this method? or was it, he only counted his final set his 1 set... everything else was "warming up"? i dunno, but i recall reading sometihng about Dorian training like this.
            I've been looking for info. on this but have not come up with really anything. Im going to email my professor and ask him for the studies.

Comment

bump... interesting. and would love to cut down my time in the gym... even if its true, i would probalby have a hard time putting it into practice..... I wouldnt feel like i had done enough.

Comment

It makes sense to me but only if your able to hit those deep muscle fibers on one set which realistically is hard to achieve but not impossible for some. As for me , and the years i've been training my body requires more than 1 set. That 1 set for me would be the stimulant set for what's to come in order to hit my deep fibers.

Comment

Working...
                X