Cardio right after workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio right after workout?

I usually do my cardio on off days - 2 days/week, but I'm thinking of adding some more cardio to cut down the fat.

Does anyone recommend doing cardio, maybe a walk on the treadmill for 20 mins after some workout days?

I've heard that's not a good idea from some, but others do it, and it's fine.

I'd love to do cardio seperately, but I can't go to gym twice a day.

Thanks for feedback. :D

My general impression is that if someone has enough energy for cardio after weightlifting, they need to add some intensity to their weightlifting session. Looking at it from the recovery perspective, if you have truly depleted ATP and muscle glycogen from your muscles during weight training, my guess is that you will be in a catabolic (muscle wasting) state. Although you may lose some fat through additional cardio, my guess is that you will also have increased muscle loss during that time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogar
      My general impression is that if someone has enough energy for cardio after weightlifting, they need to add some intensity to their weightlifting session. Looking at it from the recovery perspective, if you have truly depleted ATP and muscle glycogen from your muscles during weight training, my guess is that you will be in a catabolic (muscle wasting) state. Although you may lose some fat through additional cardio, my guess is that you will also have increased muscle loss during that time as well.
      Yeah, that's what I thought. What about running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? Fat burning or muscle burning state?

Comment

In my opinion if fat loss is your goal, cardio right out of bed, on an empty stomach, is the way to go. You will lose muscle but remember fat loss is what you're trying to accomplish. Besides, I think the muscle loss you experience will be less than you fear.

Comment

If you can only get to the gym once a day I would run after so it dosent effect your workout. Also who says you have to be at a gym to run. Hit the streets by your house. You will get more out of it than a treadmill.

Comment

I also, would run after...good call speed

Comment

Originally posted by TheRussian
              Yeah, that's what I thought. What about running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? Fat burning or muscle burning state?
              I agree with believer on this one. According to what I have read, running in a fasted state will burn fat perhaps three times faster than when you are not fasted. You will also burn some muscle, but you can minimize that if you use a HIIT type workout and keep the total time to less than 30 minutes.

Comment

Never do cardio on an empty stomach in the AM.After sleeping all night without food,your body is in a negative nitrogen balance,and a catabolic state.Any exercise at this time will only increse catabolism if there are no nutrients present in the system.Who popularized this and created sheep that blindly follow it?how is a little food in your system going to halt fat burning?If you must do it in the early AM, drink a protein drink about an hour before cardio.You never want to be in a state of negative nitrogern balance ,that`s why we as bodybuilder`s, eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.Walking on a treadmill on a slight incline ,should be no problem after training.Your glucose and glycogen supplies will be depleted from the training,and this is an optimum time to use fat as fuel.You will not lose muscle as long as your diet meets your own particular protein requirements.Keep protein high at all times,especially when trying to lose fat.If you as a bodybuilder, cannot walk 20-30 minutes at a moderate pace after training, you have probably over-extended yourself and overtrained.Except on leg day of course, where you should do no cardio.45-60 minutes with the weights should be your goal,seperate from 20-30-minutes of cardio depending on your goals.Stimulate ,don`t annihalate! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X