Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Cardio effect strength gains?

Evidence based training

If your goal is to maximize strength gains, ideally you’d avoid cardio (regardless of intensity) altogether. However, if you need to add conditioning work into your program, it seems that high and low intensity conditioning work have similar negative effects on strength gains (you’ll still gain strength, but those gains will be smaller).

For hypertrophy, however, HIIT seems to be a better option than LISS, provided you can adequately recover from it. Overall, the results of this meta-analysis are in line with a prior meta-analysis examining concurrent training with lower intensity cardio.

If you add conditioning work into your training, try to separate lifting and conditioning sessions by at least 6 hours. If you can do your conditioning and lifting on different days, that’s even better.

too much cardio yea for sure. timing is the most important cardio. i've always done it after a workout so it doesn't sap my strength.

Comment

Too much cardio may 'kill' muscle gains because: It will increase calories used per day, which can prevent you consistently being in a caloric surplus required for building muscle size and strength (if you do not eat enough). It may hamper recovery, as your physical conditioning and caloric intake may both suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
        too much cardio yea for sure. timing is the most important cardio. i've always done it after a workout so it doesn't sap my strength.
        Agreed. I do my cardio on non-weight training days.

Comment

From my experience no. As long as your fueling yourself with the proper nutrition and dont dip into a hypo caloric state or do cardio before your heavy weight training

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

muscle mass and increase their strength are typically wary of cardio training fearing that prolonged bouts of running, rowing, or other work that emphasizes stamina and endurance will have a detrimental impact on their strength.

Comment

Working...
            X