high reps or low reps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high reps or low reps?

if i am trying to build as much mass as possible should i stick with low reps and heavy weight?

also, do you consider low reps 6-8 or 4-6?

To some extent this is dependent on your individual muscle fiber percentages (e.g. if you have almost entirely slow-twitch fiber, then low reps won't do you much good for hypertrophy).

For the most part, though:
    - higher reps (8-12) works more toward hypertrophy (gaining muscle mass), and does less toward gaining motor unit efficiency (so you'll get bigger faster than you'll get stronger)
    - lower reps (<5) works more toward improvements in neurological functioning, and less toward muscle mass, so you'll get stronger faster than you'll get bigger.

Bottom line - if you're more concerned about getting bigger, use higher reps. What constitutes "higher" kinda depends on how long you've been training. If you haven't been lifting long, use 10-12 reps. If you've been lifting for a few years, use 8-10.

Other bottom line - do different stuff! If you use mostly high reps, break it up by going low reps for a few weeks.

Comment

I wouldnt go over 12 reps. If on your last couple of sets if you can do more than 12 reps go up in weight.

Comment

2-6 rep range, as heavy as you can stand!!

Comment

I would try it both ways eveybody will be diff

Comment

good point

Comment

Up your calories and protein for mass gains.Keep reps between 5-12 on most exercises training pyramid style.This way you hit both types of muscle fibers for complete development.Low reps don`t build size anymor,e than high reps cut you up,it`s mostly dietary changes that accomplish this with intense training.Train as heavy as possible for the amount of reps you`re shooting for whether it`s 5 or 20,work hard!

Comment

Yikes Im scared to even reply to your post seeing that you already know the answers to your own posts. LOL PEACE! KIR

Comment

Working...
                X