Training for boot camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for boot camp?

My friend is enlisting and shipping out for boot camp in June. Now he asked me to train him at the gym, so he would be in shape enough for boot camp to be a cake walk. How would you go about doing this? I only know how to train like a bodybuilder.

run run run run run run puke puke run run run run run run

other than that nothin will make boot camp a cake walk

Comment

a lot of long distance running.....along with push ups, sit ups, chin ups....that deal...basically anything that sucks....also make him do shit to where he wants to quit and push him harder...so you can get his mind right.........mental toughness is key

Comment

Re: Training for boot camp?

Originally posted by TooPowerful4u
        My friend is enlisting and shipping out for boot camp in June. Now he asked me to train him at the gym, so he would be in shape enough for boot camp to be a cake walk. How would you go about doing this? I only know how to train like a bodybuilder.
        cake walk? your freind will be sadly disappointed if he thinks its gonna be a cake walk.......the physical aspect of Marine Corps. boot camp is the easiest part in my opinion.

honestly i expected a lot more running and PT.
        the hardest part about boot camp is the mental stress he will be put through for which nothing will prepare him for.

I assume you are talking about Marine Corps. right?
        If you mean army or air force or navy then the correct term is basic training not boot camp. The Marine Corps. boot camp is the longest most grueling basic training of all branches of military, and is designed to be the most stressfull environment one has ever been through so that you learn how to preform/succeed under incredible amounts of pressure.........if you are gonna train him physically the run his ass to the ground!

if your buddy can do 100 crunches without stopping, preform 20 chin ups, and run 3 miles in 18 minutes then he will earn a perfect score on his PFT and should not have any problems physically.

did you know....
        after one completes their enlistment in the Corps. they can go serve in any other branch of military w/o going through that branches basic training? but if anyone from any other branch wants to join the Marines after their enlistment is up they have to go through boot camp.
        Former heavy weight boxing champ of the world riddick bowe joined the Marines and dropped out of boot camp after a matter of days! and im pretty sure he was physically fit, so that gives you a little idea of how tough it is.

Comment

Re: Re: Training for boot camp?

Originally posted by LARGELI
          cake walk? your freind will be sadly disappointed if he thinks its gonna be a cake walk.......the physical aspect of Marine Corps. boot camp is the easiest part in my opinion.

honestly i expected a lot more running and PT.
          the hardest part about boot camp is the mental stress he will be put through for which nothing will prepare him for.

I assume you are talking about Marine Corps. right?
          If you mean army or air force or navy then the correct term is basic training not boot camp. The Marine Corps. boot camp is the longest most grueling basic training of all branches of military, and is designed to be the most stressfull environment one has ever been through so that you learn how to preform/succeed under incredible amounts of pressure.........if you are gonna train him physically the run his ass to the ground!

if your buddy can do 100 crunches without stopping, preform 20 chin ups, and run 3 miles in 18 minutes then he will earn a perfect score on his PFT and should not have any problems physically.

did you know....
          after one completes their enlistment in the Corps. they can go serve in any other branch of military w/o going through that branches basic training? but if anyone from any other branch wants to join the Marines after their enlistment is up they have to go through boot camp.
          Former heavy weight boxing champ of the world riddick bowe joined the Marines and dropped out of boot camp after a matter of days! and im pretty sure he was physically fit, so that gives you a little idea of how tough it is.
          Hey bro one day if you get some time will you share some of your experiences in boot camp with us. I have been looking into the Marines for the past month and I like hearing stories. How long were you in for? And do you have a good job now?

Comment

how long does this guy have to get into shape and does he have any training under his belt?

Comment

this is the seals program

Suggested Student Preparation
              The following workouts are designed for two categories of people: Category I are those future BUD/S students that have never or have not recently been on a routine PT program. Category II is designed for high school and college athletes that have had a routine PT program. Usually athletes that require a high level of cardiovascular activity are in Category II.
              Swimming, running and wrestling are good examples of such sports that workout your cardiovascular system.
              Workout for Category I
              Running: The majority of the physical activities you will be required to perform during your six months of training at BUD/S will involve running. The intense amount of running can lead to over stress injuries of the lower extremities in trainees who arrive not physically prepared to handle the activities. Swimming, bicycling, and lifting weights will prepare you for some of the activities at BUD/S, but ONLY running can prepare your lower extremities for the majority of the activities. You should also run in boots to prepare your legs for the everyday running in boots at BUD/S (Boots should be of a light weight varity i.e. Bates Lights, Hi-Tec, etc.).
              The goal of the category I student is to work up to 16 miles per week of running. After you have achieved that goal then and only then should you continue on to the category II goal of 30 miles per week. Let me remind you that category I is a nine week build up program. Follow the workout as best you can and you will be amazed at the progress you will make.

the first nine weeks:
              Week 1

Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 15 min. 4-5 days/week
              Week 2

Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pushups: 5 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 5 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 15 min. 4-5 days/week
              Week 3

Running: No running
              Pushups: 5 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 5 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 3 sets of 4 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 20 min. 4-5 days/week
              Week 4

Running: 3 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pushups: 5 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 5 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 3 sets of 4 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 20 min. 4-5 days/week
              Weeks 5-6

Running: 2 / 3 / 4 / 2 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
              Pushups: 6 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 6 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 2 sets of 8 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 25 min. 4-5 days/week
              Weeks 7-8

Running: 4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
              Pushups: 6 sets of 30 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 6 sets of 30 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 2 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 30 min. 4-5 days/week
              Week 9

Running: 4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
              Situps: 6 sets of 30 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 3 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 35 min. 4-5 days/week

Second 9 weeks:
              Week 1 & 2

Running: 3 / 5 / 4 / 5 / 2 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
              Situps: 6 sets of 35 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 3 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Dips: 3 sets of 20 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 35 min. 4-5 days/week
              Weeks 3-4

Running: 4 / 5 / 6 / 4 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
              Pushups: 10 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 10 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 4 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Dips: 10 sets of 15 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 45 min. 4-5 days/week
              Week 5

Running: 5 / 5 / 6 / 4 / 4 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
              Pushups: 15 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 15 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 4 sets of 12 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Dips: 15 sets of 15 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 60 min. 4-5 days/week
              Week 6 and beyond

Running: 5 / 6 / 6 / 6 / 4 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa
              Pushups: 20 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Situps: 20 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Pullups: 5 sets of 12 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Dips: 20 sets of 15 dips, Mon/Wed/Fri
              Swimming: Swim continuously for 75 min. 4-5 days/week
              As you can see, this program builds your endurance and your strength. Also, looking at this program, rest days are few and far between. Hence, one should take in an adequate supply of the necessary nutrients and water. There is no doubt that such a program as this one will work, however, doing this program requires commitment and determination. The exercises are simple - they involve no sophisticated movements or machines. After the fat has been shed and the muscle is packed on, try out for the SEALs and see if you can make it.

Comment

whats up man im a new guy to this board just had to switch from another board cause its shutting down but anyway i am in the mililtary and honeslty the best thing he can do is run alot do pushups alot and crunches alot and get used to getting up early and goin all day..just my 2 cc's....chub

Comment

Semper Fi LargeLI....former Marine here myself. I agree that the hardest part of bootcamp is the mental stress. I had a greater feeling of accomplishment graduating from recruit training than I did from high school, college or graduate school. BSH

Comment

Originally posted by BrickShitHouse
                    Semper Fi LargeLI....former Marine here myself. I agree that the hardest part of bootcamp is the mental stress. I had a greater feeling of accomplishment graduating from recruit training than I did from high school, college or graduate school. BSH
                    i hear ya, ooh rah brutha!

Comment

Army here....I can't relate to the Corps' boot camp, but we were attached to the first MEF during Iraqi Freedom....they're a great bunch of guys, gung ho mo fo's. The physical part of basic training was not too difficult, but I was in pretty decent shape. Run, do pushups and situps, and you'll be good to go. Nothing can prepare you for the mental part of it...and I'm sure the Marines are a lot worse than we had it.....but you get used to it. The best advice I can give is to STAY POSITIVE!!!

Comment

I went thru PI Parris Island in 1980 when they still slapped people around a good bit! The mental is much tougher than the physical of course they both go hand and hand. Examble every time you or fellow marines screw up everyone has to pay! the best physical training would be running and circuit course were you do exercises one after the other the marine corps uses this a bunch. Also boot camp is in like four phases breaking people down and then slowly building them back up. My platoon started with like 85 people and graduated with 55 so 30 couldn't hack it or were recycled put back a few weeks. Most reserve units now have a beginners bootcamp were they give them a small sample for a weekend! Anyway Semper Fi you Jarheads

Comment

Ex Australian Army here.

Our basic was 13 weeks and was in all honesty physically not too bad. A lot of people drop out, however at the time I was playing semi pro rugby here and was 19 so was in very good aerobic and anaerobic condition anyways.
                          Infantry school was harder physically. A lot more upper body work, rope climbs, obstacle courses, long marches and time challenges (ie. there is a trailer with only one wheel, a log and a length of rope. How are you and your guys going to get it up the hill in front of you. You have 15 minutes. GO)

Best fun I have ever had

Comment

Like every one else said the physical part is not that hard. I've some sorry assed recuits get through it. have train to the point were he can get a 300 PFT (listed above). Then all he has to worry about not being a mental pussy. They fuck with your head non stop.
                            The hardest part for me was not getting enough food. I've always eaten like a body builder and going to 3 meal a day and running all the fucking time I lost a LOT of mass. I dropped over 20 lbs at PI and I was less than 10% BF going in.

Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jarhead
                              [B]Like every one else said the physical part is not that hard. I've some sorry assed recuits get through it. have train to the point were he can get a 300 PFT (listed above). Then all he has to worry about not being a mental pussy. They fuck with your head non stop.

For mental tougness:
                              Lock him in a room for a week with an ex-girlfriend. That will be as mentally challenging as it can get :D

Comment

Working...
                              X