Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training delts....

hey anyone else have this problem?

every time i train chest, my front delts are just as sore as my pecs, and tris. My bi's are pretty sore the next day too, so i dont do back and bi's for another couple days. Then after my back/bi days my rear delts are freakin sore too! So my question is, am i working my delts enough already or do i really need to give them a separate work out in between? i fear that if i do then they will be over trained.

From what I read, it sounds like you some help on your technique. Maybe you can't get someone knowledgable and expierenced to follow you through your workouts one or two times.

Comment

Bump the same exact thing happens to me

GR03

Comment

Its most likely your form, and weight, and your routine on dividing up your body parts. EX: I don't work arms out for a week and the following chest day and back day my arms feel sore because they haven't been trained. I do chest and shoulders in the same day, its hard but I don't have time to go 2 the gym 5 days a week only 4.

I'm on a 1 day on 1 day off 1 day on 1 day off 1 day on 1 day on 1 day off, so its like MWFS, Rest in the between those.

But with form, make sure you keep those hands at the correct width apart when doing chest.

Comment

when you bench you are working your front delts along with your chest.....triceps are also worked....are you pinching your shoulder blades in toward one another when you bench?.....this will help...

Comment

I would guarantee it is FORM + Too heavy weight = pain in delts an bi's. I honestly wish I could grab everyone with bench techinque problems and just show them the what to's and not to's, for a couple workouts. If I were you, I was politely ask if someone you can see is a VERY good bencher, to give you a few tips or ask if you can work in with him on one of his chest days. If he isnt a complete asshole he will let you work in with him once. I can see a good bencher from a mile away. The way the first lay down on the bench, where they set their shoulders, where they set their feet, how their chest is set to except the weight. Many aspects to benching and if you learned the correct way of benching, your max will increase tremendously in a very short time. PEACE! KIR

Comment

Originally posted by Racer814
              when you bench you are working your front delts along with your chest.....triceps are also worked....are you pinching your shoulder blades in toward one another when you bench?.....this will help...
              Agreed, watch your form and angle.

Comment

I tell you something else that will jack up your delts......punching a heavy bag.....try it.......

Comment

Originally posted by KeepinItReal
                  I would guarantee it is FORM + Too heavy weight = pain in delts an bi's. I honestly wish I could grab everyone with bench techinque problems and just show them the what to's and not to's, for a couple workouts. If I were you, I was politely ask if someone you can see is a VERY good bencher, to give you a few tips or ask if you can work in with him on one of his chest days. If he isnt a complete asshole he will let you work in with him once. I can see a good bencher from a mile away. The way the first lay down on the bench, where they set their shoulders, where they set their feet, how their chest is set to except the weight. Many aspects to benching and if you learned the correct way of benching, your max will increase tremendously in a very short time. PEACE! KIR
                  well youre kinda sending mixed messages here arent you? youre talking about useing a certain form to maximize my bench press yet eliminate useing my delts at the same time???

beleive me dude i have good form when it comes to maxing out on bench. Ive lived around power lifters and the power lifting life style my whole life, and i think thats where my problem is. useing a power lifting form to push heavy weights will recruit muscle fibers from your delts and tris and even lats as much as your pecs. so if im going to change anything about my for it will be the type of change that will NOT help my max because i will need to focus more on the contraction of my chest and try to minimize use of my delts.

and let me clarify...its not pain im feeling in my delts its soreness, no different from if i worked delts the day before. they feel good and my question was that if after chest days my front delts feel sore like they got a good work out and after back days the rear delts fell good too then would it be over kill to train delts again on a seperate day.

Comment

the majority rules in this case. i use dumbell, its the only way i can keep my delts out of the move.

Comment

NOT necessarily Large. And I've met MANY bros who thought their form was perfect until meeting certain bros in my gym and then suddenly 3 weeks later they have 40lbs more on their bench. But I dont see you bench so I have no idea. I know that I can hit 125 reps on bench, or I can go for mass 1-2 rep sets for my workouts and I dont feel any pain in my delts. And I've had rotator cuff surgery done. So as I said, maybe some type of form issue. But regardless, lets bring up another fact.

There are MANY bros who think they have a delt problem when in fact they ave an upper Bicep tendon problem. This can cause you to beleive you are having shoulder or rotator cuff problems when in fact, you may have bicep tendons that are either too thick, or are strained in the rotator cuff area. How do I know this? I have had shoulder surgery done by chicagos BEST shoulder surgeon. He explained to me in great detail showing me models of how this occurs. I myself have very thick bicep tendons in my rotator cuff area which gives me the illusion of having shopulder problems from time to time, when in actuality it is my bicep tendons giving me these problems. Many heavy benchers will incorporate every muscle possible to get the weight up. Stressing out even the biceps in the range of motion making it aggravated and swell, therefore putting more pressure on the rotator cuff area, giving the illusion of a shoulder problem.

Im not saying this is the problem, but definitely another possibility. You should get this checked out. An MRI will be able to show the thickness of the bicep tendon and whether or not it is getting in the way of the rotator cuff movement.

How is that for info for you? PEACE! KIR

Comment

Originally posted by KeepinItReal
                        NOT necessarily Large. And I've met MANY bros who thought their form was perfect until meeting certain bros in my gym and then suddenly 3 weeks later they have 40lbs more on their bench. But I dont see you bench so I have no idea. I know that I can hit 125 reps on bench, or I can go for mass 1-2 rep sets for my workouts and I dont feel any pain in my delts. And I've had rotator cuff surgery done. So as I said, maybe some type of form issue. But regardless, lets bring up another fact.

There are MANY bros who think they have a delt problem when in fact they ave an upper Bicep tendon problem. This can cause you to beleive you are having shoulder or rotator cuff problems when in fact, you may have bicep tendons that are either too thick, or are strained in the rotator cuff area. How do I know this? I have had shoulder surgery done by chicagos BEST shoulder surgeon. He explained to me in great detail showing me models of how this occurs. I myself have very thick bicep tendons in my rotator cuff area which gives me the illusion of having shopulder problems from time to time, when in actuality it is my bicep tendons giving me these problems. Many heavy benchers will incorporate every muscle possible to get the weight up. Stressing out even the biceps in the range of motion making it aggravated and swell, therefore putting more pressure on the rotator cuff area, giving the illusion of a shoulder problem.

Im not saying this is the problem, but definitely another possibility. You should get this checked out. An MRI will be able to show the thickness of the bicep tendon and whether or not it is getting in the way of the rotator cuff movement.

How is that for info for you? PEACE! KIR

KIR thats good info bro, and i do appreciate it. But i think i may have put out the wrong impression with this thread.

i do not feel like i have any type of injury bro, and its not a BAD pain i feel in my front delts after a chest workout. its a GOOD pain. its sore like it should be the day after you work a muscle. my only question/concern was that if my front delts feel like they got a good workout after chest day, and the rear delts feel like they got a good work out after my back day then do i still need to have a separate shoulder workout or would that be overtraining.

Comment

We're all different but I personally have never felt much need to work either anterior delts or posterior delts as they do seem to get plenty of work from chest and back workouts. That just leaves medial delts and sometimes I feel them quite a bit in my chest workout. Shoulders can be nororiously easy to overtrain so you very likely need
                          only do a few lateral raises or wide grip upright rows for shoulders.

Comment

Well it seems you need alot of work on your technique. If you are getting such a "great" workout to your anterior deltoids from your chest routine you aren't doing something right.

Comment

I am no guru, but I was experiencing the same problem (for years!). Turns out, it wasn't my shoulder muscles that were sore, but my bicep tendons getting inflamed from years of heaving lifting. Making the jump to anabolics at one time didn't help either, my tendons really stressed under the heavier weights I could lift. It has been about a year of experimenting with different routines to find lifts that don't irritate my shoulders when doing chest, but so far the 3/4 rep w/dumbells has been my best solution thus far. Presses, flys, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X