Crossroads...cut or bulk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossroads...cut or bulk?

I would appreciate any comments with regard to which to pursue. My ultimate goal is to gain LBM. After a 3 week stint of poor eating habits, very limited amounts of sleep and a lot of external stress, I have lost 10+ lbs of mass, mosly on chest, traps and arms. Anyway, finally I will be able to devote more attention to my health again and have since addressed these issues. Should I cut down lean and then bulk or go for the quality gains and then cut? Obviously, my diet plan depends on which path I pursue. My recent bf is about 17-18% (maybe a bit less now) and unfortunately, most of it resides at the waistline.

Eventually I'd like to get down to approx 10-12% bf. I'm 5'-10" @ 177# right now. I plan to perform cardio 30-40 mins 3x a week (possibly more sessions, if necessary), and HST 3x a week for lifting. Someone, point me in the right freaking direction, please...

OK Im not even sure what your actual goals are. Competitions or just want to look good? Anyway, those who know me already know what Im gonna say here. GO BIGGGGGGGG! Get as big as you can or want to and then cut up. Hell I've been to 6'2 and 294 and still want bigger before cutting up. At 5'10 you can EASILY throw on another 40-50lbs and then cut at around 200-205. Well, that is just what I would do. I dont like being skinny or small. I'd rather be 275 with 12% then 225 at 8%. But hell that just me. PEACE! KIR

Comment

Arrrr!! Go big, he says :D LOL. I just want to look good because I have way too much scar tissue from (abdominal midline and clavicle areas) surgeries to compete. I'm just going to do it for me as a personal goal. Yes, I want to gain mass but I wasn't sure about if it is easier to cut 1st to get a better start on a lean gain with my current bf% or just try to bulk now and just do all of the cutting after. I realize that either way, I'll still need to cut after, so I might as well just do it all after the bulk. Thanks, KIR. :cool:
      Last edited by Primal Instinct; 12-26-03, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Its good to keep an eye on your bf at all times, even when bulking. Dont let it get out of control brutha. Every bulking cycle doesnt need to add on 20lbs. You can go on a lean buling cycle where you put on 10lbs on nice clean muscle mass, rather then 20-25lbs of muscle, fat and water. Personally I like going on bulking cycles and taking lower doses of Clenbuterol to keep the bf in check. I usually do 80mcgs/ed for 16 day cycles a couple times during a bulking cycle just to keep it all in check like I said. This way I can throw on 12lbs of good weight. I'm getting to the stage where I wont be putting on much more weight. It's getting too hard on the body now at my weight. But you have MUCH room to grow. Go bulk, watch your diet, and you will put on some nice muscle mass. Cardio can help control fat and water also, keep that in mind. A lot of times, I do agee that people should cut their bf down to at least around 12-14% before jumping on gear, but brutha, we all know when you got it you want to take it. So just go for it and watch the diet. PEACE! KIR

Comment

Eat a well balaced diet of 6 meals per day,Do cardio 3 x weekly and watch the mirror.There is no reason you can`t change your body composition and shed a little bodyfat, while building some more muscle size.Keep protein high,carbs moderately low, and fats minimal.At your height and BF %, you`re not really all that big .Lose a bit of fat, and eat to gain muscle, not just bulk.Eat cleaner,and do low intensity cardio.We`ve all seen the ads where a guy weighs 200 fat pounds then "after" he still weighs 200 pounds but is a lot leaner.That`s what I mean by changing body composition. Good Luck!!
          Last edited by ski; 12-26-03, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Im all about LBM bulking, while watching my BF%. There is a fine line you can walk and still gain bulk and be shredded at the same time... of course a fast metabolism helps also..

But if you cant have the best of both world I would bulk simply because its winter

Comment

The bulk phase while watching the BF% is the way to go with this type of personal goal in mind. Along with the eating, sleeping and training you said you were able to do now, this should be reached.

Comment

Thanks to KIR, Ski, Nekrawulf and New Mass for your input and support. Bulking it is! I plan to start soon in conjunction with Doom's transformation contest. :woot:

Comment

Working...
                X