Using BF% measuring tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using BF% measuring tools

Does anyone use their own tools to measure BF%? I usually have mine measured by my personal trainer, but been thinking of getting one of those tools myself.

Anyone use those themselves, and how's the accuracy.

10x

I use an electronic BF analyzer, which is reasonably precise if you measure the same way each time--first thing in the morning after emptying your bladder and before drinking anything. I also had my BF measured by a personal trainer using a caliper and the measurement came out about 4% lower. I think this is typical, and based on the way I look in the mirror, I think my actual BF is about half way in between the two. I cannot measure myself with a caliper, though. The measurements came out all over the place. Bottom line is they are good for showing trends, but don't expect them to be dead accurate if that makes sense.

Comment

True enough Cogar.I use a BF% scale ,it`s not accurate but you can still see if you`re losinf BF by the decreasing percentages. I prefer to go by the mirroe anyway ,it never lies.If I`m ripped good ,they don`t ask me my BF% onstage anyway.

Comment

LOL Ski. Very true m brutha.

PEACE! KIR

Comment

It's my opinion that the caliper is the all around most acurate. It's been my experience that the water, scale and electronic methods are the most inacurate. The caliper may not be exact but it's the closest to exact of the above mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogar
            I use an electronic BF analyzer, which is reasonably precise if you measure the same way each time--first thing in the morning after emptying your bladder and before drinking anything. I also had my BF measured by a personal trainer using a caliper and the measurement came out about 4% lower. I think this is typical, and based on the way I look in the mirror, I think my actual BF is about half way in between the two. I cannot measure myself with a caliper, though. The measurements came out all over the place. Bottom line is they are good for showing trends, but don't expect them to be dead accurate if that makes sense.
            Dehydration makes it read as a higher body fat since the signal goes through your body too slow. And if you have a significantly large base it can read as extra body fat too. I had a guy who used the eloctronic Tanita and it said he was like 28%. He didn't look anywher near that. So I went and used the calipers and he was mor like 12%

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
              It's my opinion that the caliper is the all around most acurate. It's been my experience that the water, scale and electronic methods are the most inacurate. The caliper may not be exact but it's the closest to exact of the above mentioned.
              The problems with the Hydrostatic is that alot of times people can't or won't release all the air out of there body and they float more than they should. But if done correctly is is +-< 1% accurate.

Comment

Thanks guys. I need to get myself tested. I'm around 191-192 lbs now. (I started at 165 in early summer) People say I look bigger, but I feel fatter :) My estimate is around 17-18%, which would mean I made decent LBM gains.

Comment

Yea that's some great gains. But if you can lean out a bit more and only loose maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch avg in size you will hear even mor comments about looking bigger when you havn't actually gained any size. The less the muscle is washed out by fat the bigger and better it will look.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                    Yea that's some great gains. But if you can lean out a bit more and only loose maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch avg in size you will hear even mor comments about looking bigger when you havn't actually gained any size. The less the muscle is washed out by fat the bigger and better it will look.
                    Thanks for the advice bro.

I'm gonna get up to around 196lbs or so by end of Jan, then start cutting. I plan to be in the low-mid 180s by early April.

I figure about 9 weeks of cutting to lose around 10-12lbs. Sounds realistic? (I consider myself in the middle of an ectomorph - mesomorph scale.)

Comment

I personally use a Tanita body fat scale with an Athlete mode. It doesn't really matter what form of body fat measuring device you use as long as you use the same kind every time. I don’t believe any for is accurate but as long as you use the same method you can track gain and decrease , The bottom line is as long as my abs are ripped I'm cool

Comment

Working...
                      X