Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can’t get your calves to grow?

Can’t get your calves to grow?

You don't train them correctly or with enough intensity and frequency, that's why you don't see any growth.

Lets break it down.
    THE CALF MUSCLES:
    The calf muscle, on the back of the lower leg, is actually made up of two muscles:

The gastrocnemius is the larger calf muscle, forming the bulge visible beneath the skin. The gastrocnemius has two parts or "heads," which together create its diamond shape.
    The soleus is a smaller, flat muscle that lies underneath the gastrocnemius muscle.
    The gastrocnemius and soleus muscles taper and merge at the base of the calf muscle. Tough connective tissue at the bottom of the calf muscle merges with the Achilles tendon. The Achilles tendon inserts into the heel bone (calcaneus).
    During walking, running, or jumping, the calf muscle pulls the heel up to allow forward movement.

That's the anatomy part. The gastrocnemius is the part you see the most and the soleus is the less seen (but just as important) support below the gastrocnemius.

Your calf training is probably not a priority to you. You have a dedicated chest day, back day, leg day, etc. Or maybe your doing a Push, Pull, Legs split. But you don't have a calf day, or make them a priority on leg day.

How do you get bigger calves, what's the answer?
    Train them more, lots more. Train them with more intensity, focus, and frequency. MAKE THEM A PRIORITY.
    Here's a couple ideas:
    (1.) Train them first on your leg day.
    (2.) Add them in on your rest or cardio day.
    (3.) Another way to add more volume to your calf training is to do 10-20 reps after/between every set on arm day.
    (4.) Stay consistent, you won't see visible changes in a couple weeks. However in 6 months you'll see significant change if you stay dedicated to your calf training.

Now as far as HOW to train them, well that can be the toughest part.
    Almost every article or "How To" guide will tell you something different. High reps, low reps, don't "bounce", heavy weight, body weight, standing, seated, etc. etc.
    But in all actuality it's really not that complicated. You should do all of the above. Don't limit your calf training. Mix it up!
    Here are a couple simple tips to apply to you calf training:
    (1.) Focus on QUALITY reps to start. (you can "bounce" out the last reps of the last set). Pay attention to the feel of the exercise. Don't just bang out the reps. Think "mind muscle connection".
    (2.) Incorporate single leg calf raises. (I like to use these to start to ensure both calves are activated equally)
    (3.) Use the leg press at the gym or the hack squat to get some heavy training in.
    (4.) Do both seated and standing calf raises. Seated can be done with dumbbells or a barbell on your knees sitting on a bench.
    (5.) Vary the rep schemes. Do some "explosive" sets. Do some slow negative sets. Do some "drop sets". Do some "rest pause" sets. (when short on time I'll do rest pause to 50-75-100 reps just to get high volume in a short time)
    (6.) Vary foot width. Do one set feet close together, the next set feet 4 inches apart, next set 8 inches apart. (this will have the same effect as turning toes in or out)
    (7.) A common 2x4 or a 45lb plate to place the front part of your foot on, this will guarantee full extension. I have a 2x4 that is raised by two furring strip boards for support on either end.

Bottom Line is your not doing enough! Prioritize your calf training with more intensity, volume, and focus. And you WILL see growth.

Below is a picture of the calf board I use at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Pushtoday View Post

Can’t get your calves to grow?

You don't train them correctly or with enough intensity and frequency, that's why you don't see any growth.

Lets break it down.
    THE CALF MUSCLES:
    The calf muscle, on the back of the lower leg, is actually made up of two muscles:

The gastrocnemius is the larger calf muscle, forming the bulge visible beneath the skin. The gastrocnemius has two parts or "heads," which together create its diamond shape.
    The soleus is a smaller, flat muscle that lies underneath the gastrocnemius muscle.
    The gastrocnemius and soleus muscles taper and merge at the base of the calf muscle. Tough connective tissue at the bottom of the calf muscle merges with the Achilles tendon. The Achilles tendon inserts into the heel bone (calcaneus).
    During walking, running, or jumping, the calf muscle pulls the heel up to allow forward movement.

That's the anatomy part. The gastrocnemius is the part you see the most and the soleus is the less seen (but just as important) support below the gastrocnemius.

Your calf training is probably not a priority to you. You have a dedicated chest day, back day, leg day, etc. Or maybe your doing a Push, Pull, Legs split. But you don't have a calf day, or make them a priority on leg day.

How do you get bigger calves, what's the answer?
    Train them more, lots more. Train them with more intensity, focus, and frequency. MAKE THEM A PRIORITY.
    Here's a couple ideas:
    (1.) Train them first on your leg day.
    (2.) Add them in on your rest or cardio day.
    (3.) Another way to add more volume to your calf training is to do 10-20 reps after/between every set on arm day.
    (4.) Stay consistent, you won't see visible changes in a couple weeks. However in 6 months you'll see significant change if you stay dedicated to your calf training.

Now as far as HOW to train them, well that can be the toughest part.
    Almost every article or "How To" guide will tell you something different. High reps, low reps, don't "bounce", heavy weight, body weight, standing, seated, etc. etc.
    But in all actuality it's really not that complicated. You should do all of the above. Don't limit your calf training. Mix it up!
    Here are a couple simple tips to apply to you calf training:
    (1.) Focus on QUALITY reps to start. (you can "bounce" out the last reps of the last set). Pay attention to the feel of the exercise. Don't just bang out the reps. Think "mind muscle connection".
    (2.) Incorporate single leg calf raises. (I like to use these to start to ensure both calves are activated equally)
    (3.) Use the leg press at the gym or the hack squat to get some heavy training in.
    (4.) Do both seated and standing calf raises. Seated can be done with dumbbells or a barbell on your knees sitting on a bench.
    (5.) Vary the rep schemes. Do some "explosive" sets. Do some slow negative sets. Do some "drop sets". Do some "rest pause" sets. (when short on time I'll do rest pause to 50-75-100 reps just to get high volume in a short time)
    (6.) Vary foot width. Do one set feet close together, the next set feet 4 inches apart, next set 8 inches apart. (this will have the same effect as turning toes in or out)
    (7.) A common 2x4 or a 45lb plate to place the front part of your foot on, this will guarantee full extension. I have a 2x4 that is raised by two furring strip boards for support on either end.

Bottom Line is your not doing enough! Prioritize your calf training with more intensity, volume, and focus. And you WILL see growth.

Below is a picture of the calf board I use at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hes's still at it.. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodybuildin...donkey_raises/

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
      Hell yeah he is, with an actual fucking donkey.....sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey799
        While training, my calf muscles get tired, and i feel the hard and painful. Can somebody tell me the cause for such condition. This pain started after a long running session in winter.
        While I don't have any personal experience with calf pain after running long distance...evidently it's pretty common.
        Here are some links to articles about that specifically.

https://www.running-physio.com/calf2/

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-...s-muscle-pain/

Comment

Working...
        X