Stretching before training reduces strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretching before training reduces strength

If you stretch your muscles first before starting training, you will reduce the quality of your training session. You’ll develop less strength, researchers from Sao Paulo State University write in an article that will be published soon in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

The researchers did experiments with a couple of dozen women whose average age was 65.The women had started doing fitness training four months before they were subject to measurements, and trained three times a week. In the researchers’ exercise laboratory the women had to exercise their legs at maximal strength.

On some occasions the women started with a Standing Unilateral Quadriceps Stretch, shown in the illustration. In this exercise you stretch the muscles with slow movements and hold the stretch for a few seconds. After that the researchers tested the women’s maximal strength a couple of times after each other. On the other occasions the women exercised without stretching.

The women developed less maximal strength in their legs as a result of stretching. The table below shows this. MVC is the abbreviation for maximal voluntary contraction, a measurement of strength.

It’s not the first time that sports scientists have recorded the negative effect of stretching before training. One theory that has been put forward to explain the effect is that stretching reduces the connections between the muscles and the nervous system. This study shows that this is not the case. It seems that stretching changes something in the muscle itself.

"If static stretching is used to improve flexibility, then it is recommended that this stretching is not practiced just before the performance of activities that require high levels of muscular force", the researchers conclude. They emphasise that they studied a static form of stretching, and therefore can say nothing about other forms of stretching.

Source:
    Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research Oct 2009 23(7) 2149-54.

I can believe the logic there.

But I'm not training legs before stretching hams, no way

not benching without stretching out, nooo way

Don't care too much about strength to risk that

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
      I can believe the logic there.

But I'm not training legs before stretching hams, no way

not benching without stretching out, nooo way

Don't care too much about strength to risk that
      i like to do light stiff legs deads when i work hams. you get the stretch and also working the muscle.

for chest, my stretch is simply a warmup of lighter weight, no need to stretch like those tools laying on the ground etc..

Comment

Working...
      X