Extreme Blood Pressure During Intense Weight Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Blood Pressure During Intense Weight Training

This article blew me away. Never heard of such insane numbers but apparently is not uncommon during intense training especially if you are holding your breath during a heavy set.

Blood Pressure

Blood pressure is expressed by two numbers: the systolic blood pressure and the diastolic blood pressure. The systolic blood pressure is the higher of the two numbers and represents the highest pressure against the arterial walls when the heart contracts and pushes the blood through the arteries. The diastolic blood pressure is the lower of the two numbers. Diastolic pressure is the lowest pressure in the artery, and occurs when the ventricle is filling and the heart is at rest.

During Exercise

Blood pressure does increase in direct proportion with the intensity of the exercise. Systolic blood pressure increases to meet the demands of the body during exercise, and can increase from 120 mmHG before exercise and exceed 220 mmHg during exercise and still be considered normal. Lifting extremely heavy weight can often cause your blood pressure to increase to extremely high levels that can exceed 480/350 mmHG. This is extremely dangerous, and usually occurs when the lifter holds his breath during a heavy lift.

After Exercise

After exercising, your systolic blood pressure should progressively decline during active recovery such as low-intensity walking. During a passive recovery such as sitting or lying down, your systolic blood pressure may drop suddenly due to the pooling of blood in your hands and feet. Additionally, because the blood vessels have widened slightly during exercise to allow for greater blood flow, there may be a drop in diastolic blood pressure following exercise.

Long-Term Adaptations

Regular endurance exercise can result in a decrease in resting blood pressure in individuals with borderline or moderate hypertension, and can also result in a decrease in blood pressure during submaximal exercise notes Jack H. Wilmore and David L. Costil, authors of Physiology of Sport and Exercise.

"can exceed 480/350 mmHG." Huh, that's why I see stars sometimes when I deadlift heavy.

Comment

I was just about to make a thread on BP. Apparently it can go up if you are extremely good looking too.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
        I was just about to make a thread on BP. Apparently it can go up if you are extremely good looking too.
        i dunno, i've seen plenty a red faced fat fucked slobs with high bp.

Comment

Working...
        X