Let's talk "Birthcontrol Pills"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk "Birthcontrol Pills"

"i started taking birthcontrol pills in early febuary and having all kinds of trouble in the last ten days, started 2 days earlier then the doctor told me, It was unbelivable how bad it was, I had to go to ER, I was freaking out so bad "anxiety attack" ... it happened 4 am in the morning and i was dosing off to sleep when my my puppy started wining and rootening at me to wake up, so i did and got out of bed to see what was going on, it was nothing but blood everywhere, i opened the door and was going to the bathroom, when i fainted cause of the sight, my doggs woke up my mother and she took me to the ER, doctors ran test and I have been home, they said theres nothing that they can do now, but its still unbelivable how bad it is, " my appetite has demished, i can barely take 2 bites out of a sandwich, and the cramps i have are totally just taking over, tyenol doesn't seem to help, I go back the GYN doctor on March 9th, she told me to keep taking the pills, "WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK I SHOULD DO??" WHAT IS YOUR EXPERINCES WITH BIRTHCONTROL PILLS???

The only reason i started the pills is b/c theres a chance I might have "PCOS" polystic ovarian sydome..... 1 out ten women have it and don't know.. some have very small amounts and never really bothers them, its hard to detech it unless you are missing periods or having them consanitly, WEBMD has great information on PCSO if you like to check it out....

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 19 or 20 and for years I tried different birthcontrol pills but after intermittant bleeding even after being on the same pill for 4 months at a time I gave up. I had irregular periods for years with terrible cramping. When I was 25 I had about 4 monthly periods in a row (my cycles were about 36-38 days apart) and then became pregnant. However, since the birth of my daughter my periods became regular but I wanted to try the pill for birth control reasons and I went through the craziness again of bleeding inbetween, cramping, etc. I gave up...the pill simply does not work for me. My periods are now regular with 28 day cycles with no medical treatment. :)

If I was in your shoes I'd call the dr. back and tell her that I was not going to stay on that pill...there are many different kinds of pills to try out, but severe cramping and bleeding shouldn't be happening. There is an adjustment period that you will likely go through on any bc pill, but it shouldn't be this bad. Definitely keep your appt. with the GYN. If you don't like what she says, find another doctor.

**I'm moving this thread to the women's section because you'll get more responses there.

Comment

OKAY, THANX MRS P. ... SO WAS IT HARD TO DATE ANYONE WHILE ALL THIS WAS GOING ON, THATS MOSTLY THE REASON I HAVEN'T DATED IN THREE YRS... EXCEPT NOW I BEEN TALKING WITH THIS GUY BUT HAVEN'T REALLY DONE ANYTHING YET, WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.. NOW THAT I HAVE BEEN ON BIRTHCONTROL ...
      BESIDE LAST TEN DAYS MY CONFIDENTS BEEN REALLY HIGH, YES I AGREE THAT IT WILL TAKE TIME, I THINK IT IS THE BIRTHCONTROL I AM TAKING THAT T IS LIKE IT IS...CUZ ITS NEW... "YASMINS" ITS CALLED, BUT THANX FOR THE ADVICE, IT WAS REALLY GOOD ADVICE, I CAN USE ALL THE ADVICE ON THIS SUBJECT I CAN GET TOO :) , AND I'LL LET YA KNOW THE UPDATE..... "IT IS NICE TO KNOW OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING THOUGH THE SAME THING, OR WENT THOUGH.... I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT UNTIL A FRIEND MENTION IT TO ME... YA KNOW "

Comment

You're welcome and I hope you feel better very soon.

I was married when I was 18 so dating wasn't an issue. We've been together 20 yrs. this September! Keep in mind, even if you're on birth control, use a condom, you don't want an STD!

Learn as much as you can on the net and even make some notes with questions for your doctor's visit. If she doesn't respond in a way that you like, find another doctor. It took me a long time to learn that not all doctors are created equal. You want someone you can talk to, not just someone who tells you what to do.

Comment

Good advice Mrs. P... I always used condoms and I had a bf in college, so i decided to get the pill, I was on Ortho-Cyclen - the one that helps with blemishes too... The first month I blead everyday! Then into the 2nd month when that finally stopped I started loosing it... my brain would all of a sudden make the room spin so bad that I couldn't stand up and immediately was sick... this happened at least once a day. I went to see a neurologist thinking something was wrong with my brain. They recommended that I stop taking the pill. It took about 2 months for all of those wierd symptoms to wear off. I have never taken them and won't ever again.

Now that I am older and I worry about taking something like that which controls hormones and my reproductive system, I'm so glad I'm not on them. I would never want to mess with my body like that.

With condoms, I've gotten so used to using them and my husband, I told him about what had happened with me on the pill and told him that we would have to use comdoms... this was when we were dating. He was jsut like ok. There was no problem on his part. We've also had to use them married to.

Recently I found a great condom. My husband loves it too. It's made of polyeurethane instead of latex. It's really thin and you can feel the heat of the cum (which you can't when using a latex). My husband said it feels like he isn't wearing one at all, and they always feel slippery. They are Trojan Supra.

Comment

Last year at this time, I had just gotten off of Depo Provera and started on Orthocyclen. Let me tell you, I'm so glad that I did. I guess I'm lucky that the Pill is working for me...especially after what happened with Depo. I started Depo in May 2002. My periods were a little weird at first, but then in the beginning of July, my period just didn't stop. Seriously, I had my period for 6 months straight! I decided in January not to get my 4th shot because I was sooo depressed with having my period for that long (I was in hopes that I would be the lucky ones in which it would stop). My doc told me to try the Pill - and especially because after a day of taking it, my period would stop. Let me tell you...I basically got my life back from switching! I'm sorry that you are having horrible side effects from it, but I'm sure that you will find something that works for you.

Comment

I was on the pill for 6 years before I got my IUD...and let me tell you what a battle it was to stay on them sometimes...Heres some info from a "pro" lol

Most people when they first start taking the pill will experience side effects that can last anywhere to a month to 3 months, depending on your body chemistry and your "will" to get used to them. I had to be switched to so many different pills that it would take too long to name them all. Most of the time they caused "morning sickness, " headaches, and like Dreamgirl, they would affect my balance. Birth control pills also make your womanly discharge a little thicker than normal. I didn't think that was such a bad thing though. And some would decrease my sex drive....so its all a matter of finding what works best for you.

My moods were also greatly affected, sometimes I was normal and turn into a raging bitch at the drop of a hat...one time I was laughing and crying at the same time!! Some caused EXTREME mood changes, like depression and anxiety...one doctor switched me (for a stupid reason btw)and then when I came back two weeks later crying because I was depressed...which is NOT normal for me, she decided to put me on anti-depressants. I took one of those and knew that depression wasn't my problem. I switched back to my old pills, (and changed doctors) and I returned to normal.

FROGGIE you may need to switch to something else. That may be causing a lot of your problem. I found that the tri-phasic ones caused less "trama" to my head, like ortho-tricyclen. Actually I used those for a while and they were the best, I think. :D

Also when taking pills you should always take them at the same time everyday....taking them at different times, even a few hours apart can cause your hormone levels to rise and fall causing all kinds of problems like bleeding and mood swings.

I've also tried Depo-Provera and the once a month shot, Lunelle...and all I'm gonna say is that it was HORRIBLE...talk about loosing lots of blood....

Unfortunately I am having some problems with my IUD so I may have to go back on the pill. :(

I am also considering the patch...it has the same hormones as the pill and actually made by the company that makes Ortho-trycyclen. I am speculating that it may be less mood swings because the patch distributes hormones in a timely and precise manner into the bloodstream. The only drawback is that some women experience a lot of breakthrough bleeding their first couple of months on the patch. And you have to replace it every weeks for three weeks. The last week you stop and have a period.

There is also the Nuva-Ring, but I don't know too much about that...it does not really appeal to me.

Hope this helps...

Comment

When I was 21 I went about 2 months were I was constantly bleeing like everyday with awful cramps. They had me on the pill and the bleeding wouldn't stop. I basically went through the same thing that MrsPuddles wrote about earlier. I had to make more than a couple of visits to the doctor in order for them to find out what I had.

Comment

I just had my IUD taken out about two weeks ago:( And now I'm back on the pill...Thankfully no problems with it yet except some nausea, only because I didn't take at the same time. I really do miss my IUD.....keeping up with a pill everyday gets on my nerves.

Comment

Mousie; I had the same problem with Depo! I was on it for a year, gained 30 lbs and said, "to hell with this" and went off of it in September, and had a period that lasted from september to a month ago when I started the pill and got back to normal. Beware of Depo! Still waiting for the weight to come off, though...

Comment

Working...
                    X