Pulled/Strained Hamstring???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled/Strained Hamstring???

I need some muscle advice. I had trained for a little over 3 weeks to do a 10K (6.2 miles) and a few days before the race my right hamstring started to hurt but not to the point that I couldn't run. It was just a little sore. So I went to the race on Saturday (2/28) and did really well compared to what I had started with, but WOW my right hamstring is in so much pain now. I know I over worked it but please give me some advice on what stretches or workouts or anything I can do to ease the pain. It hurts even when I am sitting and walking. I took Sunday off and I did arms and walked for 30 minutes yesterday so I have been taking it easy for the past 2 days. It wasn't hurting when I was walking yesterday becasue I was going so slow but the way it feels today I might have just made it worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!!!

What did you do to it those few days before the race that made it start hurting?? Were you training any more vigorously than normal, or doing ANYTHING different?

Comment

Nothing out of the ordinary. I am a runner at heart and I have been working out for quite some time but I did start training pretty hard from the very beginning. The only thing that I could think of would be increasing my speed, but I had been working on that this whole time. I would increase my speed at least once a week and I was running about 6 days a week. When I started the training I was doing a (I know this is so slow) 12.5 minute mile (very first day, outside, up and down hills). So I did have to tain hard to get my speed up. I was running both inside and outside (it has been pretty rainy in TX so mostly inside on the treadmill). It is feeling a lot better today though. I have always stretched before and after all of my runs, but maybe I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Comment

Stretching may not be enough to get your muscles warmed up. It may benefit you to warm up by walking for 5-10 minutes after you stretch. I don't think you pulled a muscle, you may have just overexerted it, or sprained/strained it. If it were pulled, it would be a lot more painful....meaning you would be heating it to relieve the pain, and/or something would have happened, like a "pop" or some weird noise.

Comment

Working...
        X