Post workout meal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post workout meal

Generally I have a shake post workout and hour or so after Im done, but lately I have been really hungry for food!

What do you think is more beneficial or..what do you do? Eat a small portioned meal (carb and protein) or opt for a shake?

A shake just doesnt cut it for me all the time, I need to eat not drink!

what time are you working out? if you're hungry - and still have another meal, then take your meal. if you work out right before meal time, eat your normal meal.

i workout fairly late and usually end up having my post workout shake around 10:30/11pm... if i stay up late, i might have some cottage cheese before i go to bed.

Comment

I suppose it would depend on what time you are working out...what you have eaten all day. If a shake does not cut it -- and you are indeed hungry for the real deal -- perhaps during the course of the day you are not getting in enough cals.

Comment

I tend to workout in the morning around 10:30 or 11am. Sometimes I will get up at 8'ish and eat something, and do housework untill finished, then head to the gym.

I like to workout on an empty stomach so I let a meal digest for an hour or more before I go no matter what time of day it is. Somedays Im just more hungry than others after my workout.

Comment

if you're eating at 8, then working out mid-morning - i would think you should have your shake, then eat another full meal. the shake is to replace the energy you expended during your workout and the meal is to feed your body.

when's the next time you get in a meal then? you post workout shake should not be considered your "lunch".

Comment

Post workout, I would probably opt for a shake along with some egg whites on a whole wheat english muffin with turkey. I have been eating my version of the "egg mcmuffin" for quite while now an it makes a good breakfast.

Thanks for the help I will use eveyone's advice to good use!

-T.

Comment

I always have at least 50g of simple carbs along with 35 grams of protein immediately after I train.(to refuel my glycogen stores).
              Then I eat again, protein and carbs, probably an hour and a half later. :)

Comment

One piece of advice- for your body to reap the full benefits of a post workout shake, it's imperative to eat the shake RIGHT AFTER you work out...take it with you if need be...Then have a solid meal 1-2 hrs after..That way you are able to benefit from the nutrients at the right time, AND get your solid meal!!!

Comment

I used to have post workout shake including both protein (30g) AND carbs (tried 20-40 g and different kinds) but my stomach just couldn`t handle it.

Now I just have a fast absorbing protein shake and my stomach is doing MUCH better. Don`t know why this is -maybe something to do with absorbion. Then I eat normal meal when get back home fron the gym.

Comment

I have a shake mixed with Gatorade immediately post work out the a meal about an hour or so later. I read somewhere the simple sugars in the gatorade help to replenish glycogen stores. :)

Comment

I eat like a small lumber jack an hour after working out! ;-)

As mentioned above: REAL foods like; turkey, sweet 'tater's, brown rice. Raw almonds are yummy too!

Comment

Working...
                      X