Incline DB Press technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incline DB Press technique

I was wondering how you get your heavy weight up for incline db press? I normally put the weights on my knee and bounce my knees up a bit to get some momentum to get the weights above my head. However, I can not do this with db's heavier than 30 pounds. If I get a spot, to help me raise the weights, I can do a set of 10 reps with 35 pound dumbbells.

Do any of you have a technique to get them above your head without knocking yourself out?

For me it's pretty much the same. Throw the db up from you knee and rest it on you shoulder, and then throw up the other one and then lean back and press for the sky. After time you'll get used to it and it'll be like second nature. And in the long run, doing them without a spot will make you stronger in the bottom half of the lift. Usually the guys I see asking for the spots on lift off, are the ones who aren't going down low enough in the lift.

Comment

or, if you want to get technical, the heavier the db I use, the straighter I keep my arm when I swing it off my knee (it's hard to picture, I know) so that as it swings into position, when it weighs my arm down, I actually have it in a good position to lift

what's tough, though, is handing yourself dbs for decline db presses

Comment

Originally posted by go Yankees
        what's tough, though, is handing yourself dbs for decline db presses
        That's the easier one imo. Just grab the db's, pull em up and hold them on your knees and then just lay back with the db's on your chest and then out and press. All good.

Comment

If you don't have a spotter as an option, I really like the dumbell power hooks, especially on flat bench where it really hurts my rotator cuffs if I start really low. They hold the dumbell and then you can hang the whole thing off a bar and start in a more natural position. I have these for when I'm working out at home.
          http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?act...uipmentID=2801

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
            If you don't have a spotter as an option, I really like the dumbell power hooks, especially on flat bench where it really hurts my rotator cuffs if I start really low. They hold the dumbell and then you can hang the whole thing off a bar and start in a more natural position. I have these for when I'm working out at home.
            http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?act...uipmentID=2801
            Too Cool...

Comment

When I incline anything over 100lb dumbells, I will stand in front of the bench and lean forward slightly with the dumbells on my knees. Then in one fluid motion I rock back into the bench and throw the weights into the contracted position while following them with my knees. I like this way because I do not have to deal with the initial liftoff. The only problem is you have to get good at it - practice first with lighter weight. My friend thought it was a good idea, so he tried to mimic me and ended up clocking his dome with the dumbell. It has the potential to be dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by malibu barbie
                I was wondering how you get your heavy weight up for incline db press? I normally put the weights on my knee and bounce my knees up a bit to get some momentum to get the weights above my head. However, I can not do this with db's heavier than 30 pounds. If I get a spot, to help me raise the weights, I can do a set of 10 reps with 35 pound dumbbells.

Do any of you have a technique to get them above your head without knocking yourself out?
                i use my knees to throw the weights to my chest like if i were on the lower part of the movment then once im ready i just press up. you will get stronger and more comfortable as time goes on.

Comment

Working...
                X