Dreaded Cellulite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded Cellulite!

As a spin off to the hamstring talk, it got me thinking about one of my own personal problems. Cellulite. Now standing up relaxed, most people would say "WHERE??". But one day recently my sister who thinks i had a perfect figure was blown off her chair when i bent down to pick something up and she seen a dimple in my leg from quite a distance. It made her decade, but has driven me insane ever since. So it's basically when I take a squat position (guess who no longer wears shorts on leg day), I get a couple of dimples in the backs of my legs half way between my knee & Butt. I recently changed my diet which was not bad before, but now im being a bit more dedicated and strict. So i'm kinda unsure as to wether I also need to be upping the cardio or concentrating on my leg workout. You read all about cellulite not being so called normal stored fat & how hard it is to get rid of. I don't know what or who to believe & I find it bizarre that I even have it after all the running I do. Thank god i don't have it like mashed potatoes, but it's just 2 or 3 dimple like dents & i wouldnt have cared too much except my silly sister thinks she hit the jackpot spotting them & wont shut up about it. haha. So any theorys, advice would be so much appreciated?

Originally posted by xxxkazxxx
    As a spin off to the hamstring talk, it got me thinking about one of my own personal problems. Cellulite. Now standing up relaxed, most people would say "WHERE??". But one day recently my sister who thinks i had a perfect figure was blown off her chair when i bent down to pick something up and she seen a dimple in my leg from quite a distance. It made her decade, but has driven me insane ever since. So it's basically when I take a squat position (guess who no longer wears shorts on leg day), I get a couple of dimples in the backs of my legs half way between my knee & Butt. I recently changed my diet which was not bad before, but now im being a bit more dedicated and strict. So i'm kinda unsure as to wether I also need to be upping the cardio or concentrating on my leg workout. You read all about cellulite not being so called normal stored fat & how hard it is to get rid of. I don't know what or who to believe & I find it bizarre that I even have it after all the running I do. Thank god i don't have it like mashed potatoes, but it's just 2 or 3 dimple like dents & i wouldnt have cared too much except my silly sister thinks she hit the jackpot spotting them & wont shut up about it. haha. So any theorys, advice would be so much appreciated?

Well, first off- the time that you see them (when squatting) is the best time to spot them, but a position you are rarely in. In addition, when you do bend that way, you have very little muscle control. Meaning gravity is pulling on whatever fat you do have. I mean, think about it- when you straighten back up you use your butt and quad muscles. But, when you are in that position, your skin is being compressed...therefore making the dimples more visible.

Very few females don't have cellulite. It is simply the genetic makeup of a female vs. a male. Cellulite is also genetic. When women get down to about 12 or 13% BF is normally when cellulite is minimal. Cellulite varies from female to female. However, it may not necessarily be stored fat and hard to lose. Many women find that when they lose BF, some of the dimples go away. Also, the back of the legs and hips on a female is where most women store their fat.

Losing cellulite means simply losing BF, since cellulite is fat. The way you do that is by changing and/or increasing cardio, weight training, and a stricter diet. The way you lose BF is by expending more calories than you take in.

Comment

Well I DO KNOW I certainly can get my BF down. Its at about 18 - 19% thanks to a very leisurely Xmas! And that is taken on one of those scales. I'm not sure I trust them to the old fashioned pinch test, so it could be slightly higher or lower.

I'm a bit worried if I up my cardio anymore than I already do it will be too much and is it possible to just get my BF down with strict diet? Iv'e always maintained a good weight with cardio & weights but just kept an average diet. Not a bad one. 5 days a week i ate great, but I had a pizza if i wanted one on weekends or drank the glass of wine or two or three to watch my fave TV show and used butter on whatever needed it. Now is my first conscience effort to follow some diet rules. So maybe that will make the difference? I run alot and I am just scared to up the cardio incase it prevents me gaining muscle size.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxkazxxx
        Well I DO KNOW I certainly can get my BF down. Its at about 18 - 19% thanks to a very leisurely Xmas! And that is taken on one of those scales. I'm not sure I trust them to the old fashioned pinch test, so it could be slightly higher or lower.

I'm a bit worried if I up my cardio anymore than I already do it will be too much and is it possible to just get my BF down with strict diet? Iv'e always maintained a good weight with cardio & weights but just kept an average diet. Not a bad one. 5 days a week i ate great, but I had a pizza if i wanted one on weekends or drank the glass of wine or two or three to watch my fave TV show and used butter on whatever needed it. Now is my first conscience effort to follow some diet rules. So maybe that will make the difference? I run alot and I am just scared to up the cardio incase it prevents me gaining muscle size.

Well, first off all, the scale you bought isn't giving you a very accurate measurement of your BF. In fact, the old fashioned pinch test is one of the best. Those scales are simply not a good indicator. They are for the general population. I remember I got on my parents scale and it said something like 28%. When in fact I was around 16% based on my pinches. All those scales take into account is your height, age and weight, and come up with a number. It doesn't take into account that part of that weight could be muscle.I would have someone who knows what they are doing check your BF for you wach week. That way you are able to gauge where you are holding your fat, and where you are losing it, and most importantly that you are making progress.

It is possible to get BF down with a strict diet. But people have the best results when incorporating that diet w/ training and cardio. But if you want to get down to 12 or 13% BF, we're talking a contest diet. Do you really know what that entails? There are several things I need to know before making this determination: what you eat and wehn, how much cardio you do, and what the type of weight training you do. The thing that confuses me is about your cardio. You say you want to put on muscle and run a lot. I will tell you this- running can hinder muscle gains in your legs- plain and simple. Don't get me wrong- it's a great cardiovascular workout- but ever notice how most runners have skinny legs??? You dont' necessarily have to up the cardio, you probably should change the type of cardio you do.

Comment

I just want to add, that don't assume your bf is lower than what the results were either. Those kinds of scales will be off in both direction. Not saying you do have more bf, just it's best to get it checked more accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
            I just want to add, that don't assume your bf is lower than what the results were either. Those kinds of scales will be off in both direction. Not saying you do have more bf, just it's best to get it checked more accurately.

Agreed. If available in your area try water dunking method for accurate BF% count.

Comment

Working...
            X