Knee Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Pain

I was wondering if anyone here has ever broken a knee and had it heal back completely normal? I broke mine a couple years ago and no matter how much strength training I do its always a little sore...I'm fine when I run, but when I do quad extensions or full incline on treadmill, it aches. I definately can't do squats or lunges anymore, those tear me up big time. Just wondering if its happened to anyone else and what advice you could give me? My Dr. is a POS and just tells me basically I have to live with it. Any advice would be fabulous!

Thats a tough topic I think. Because women should actually lift light weights to strengthen their bones. But lifting after a bone has been broken? Thats a good topic of conversation. Hopefully some people will be able to shed some light.

Comment

You are going to need to give more details to your injury. Your knee isn't a bone itself, but a joint system. More than likely you torn something.

Comment

K, I shattered my knee cap into 4 pieces...Originally I had torn the ACL and after surgery, wasn't using my crutches when I was supposed to, fell down some stairs and thats when I shattered my knee...I'm a rockstar, I know;)
        Thanks for the responses...

Comment

With the kind of damage you described, I would say you will have to live with a certain amount of pain. Some of the reason for using the crutch after an ACL surgery is you could have had a possible bone bruise, your meniscus was damaged but would have healed itself if you had used your crutchs and the ACL isn't strong enough to support complete function; this would loosen the acl and make the knee joint slide also possibly damaging the meniscus. Also there may be continous damage being done to the bones since the meniscus may not be there. You may have caused extensive scar tissue in the joint and your pattella (knee-cap) is probably not ever going to be perfectly in it's track. A possible option is full knee replacement surgery, where they turn everything into metal and plastic in the joint. You would have to talk to your orthopedic to get further details specific to you.
          Last edited by Shibby; 05-17-06, 05:49 AM.

Comment

I've had an ACL replacement and bucket handle tear of the meniscus in 07/04. It took me about 10 months before I could get back to running. I started lifting weights prior to that, but I've never fully recovered from atrophy in my quad. In December I started training for an Ironman and my knee went all to hell. I ended up getting it scoped and the Dr. found I had 80% damage to my medial meniscus, 30% to the lateral meniscus, & mild chondromalacia.

The patellar chondromalacia is caused by the knee not tracking properly and basically the knee cap can hit the femur causing pain. I'm guessing that your knee cap being broken in 4 places has caused it to be hit your femur a little and cause you pain. Rehab and sometimes surgery to shave a little of the patella can help this situation. I wouldn't let a physician convince you to have a lateral release because I believe this compromises the integrity and stability of the knee.

Also, when I've been going through rehab in Austin, my PT told me that they do not allow any of their patients to do leg extensions. According to them, leg extension place too much stress at the top and bottom of the movement on the ACL, so I'm guessing a lot of folks would recommend doing other movements to strengthen your quads. Best of luck in becoming pain free.

Comment

Thanks for all the great information, more than I got from the doctor, lol...

What kind of quad exercises would you recommend? I don't know of alot more I can do aside from the extensions/squats/lunges...Thanks so much:D

Comment

I don't have much knowledge on your injurt, but if you can't do the above exercises, here's what I would suggest:

Seeing as how you said your knee is ok when you run, what about box step ups w/ a DB in each hand? Basically, you get a box or those step shelves and put the tiers underneath and step up.... The only other thing I can think of is leg press....you'll have to see how that feels. As for the squats that are hurting, are you doing them with a BB? If your gym has a flat squat press machine, that usually takes the pressure off the knees somewhat. :)

Comment

What redsquirrel mentioned is good. Also, my physical therapist had me doing some reverse step ups. Basically, taking a flight of stairs and going up them backwards. You have to concentrate to and do it slowly to keep the tension on the quads. I don't remember the exact #'s they had me doing but you could probably start at 5/6 steps for 5 sets and work up to 10/12 steps for 8/10 sets.

Comment

I am currently in physical therapy for my knee pain. They have me doing excercises for strengthing my quads and my hips. at home I do a lot of the rubber band excercises and at the gym they want me to do the hip machine where you swing the arm around for inner and outer thighs everyother time i go. The PT doesn't want me doing any sort of lunges. They want me to do the leg press machine doing sets with both legs and also sets with each individual legs. Make sure that I never overdo it with weight because that can just make it worse. Hope this helps.

Comment

Good suggestions ya'll! I totally appreciate it! I definately do leg presses, those don't hurt toooo bad, do them with my toes pointing in and away and also normal. Dreamgirl I do the adducter and abductor also, love that machine:D
                      Thanks Redsquirrel and SonofBone for your information as well! I'm soakin it all in:D

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie
                        Good suggestions ya'll! I totally appreciate it! I definately do leg presses, those don't hurt toooo bad, do them with my toes pointing in and away and also normal. Dreamgirl I do the adducter and abductor also, love that machine:D
                        Thanks Redsquirrel and SonofBone for your information as well! I'm soakin it all in:D

On leg press, you almost always want to point your toes somewhat outward. You should do this for a couple reasons:

1- it is wayyy less stress on the knees...(wink, wink!)

2-your range of motion is usually increased slightly allowing you to almost put your knees to your chest when doing a rep.

When your toes are pointed straight or in, your range of motion decreases and there is more emphasis put on the knees rather than the quad. :)

Comment

Also- the adductor/abductor machine will not build your quads.

It will help build your inner thigh muscle and help define your outer quad.

Comment

Just focus on the kinesiology of the knee - maintain proper ankle, knee and hip alignment at all times - ensure your knee "tracking" stays true to its normal form...

Comment

Working...
                            X