I need some knowledge!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some knowledge!!!

I was at my sisters yesterday and found a bottle of pills on her counter that id never seen before. My sister is the kind who would rather maintain body weight from chemist bought pills full of laxatives & caffeine rather than propper food & exercise! I asked her what they were and she said she didnt know, but it gave her energy when she took enough of them and it was a change from her usual weight loss pills and No Doz! I was horrified as usual & said i was gonna go straight home and search the internet then ring her back with a lecture.

Pyridoxine - 100mg per tablet!

So ofcourse after research, i end up here with the questions. Ive read a few things here on SM, but i dont take any extra stuff so to speak, so its all to scientific for me the way most of you guys write in relation to cycles and extra supplements. In a nutshell, if she is taking 4 - 6 tablets a day, is that likely to cause long term harm?

And in dummy terms, when exactly do people training take it? Just during a cycle? or is it a nessesary supplement taken everyday?

Pyridoxine isn't a weight loss pill. It's one of the B complex vitamins (B6).

Comment

Originally posted by blm
      Pyridoxine isn't a weight loss pill. It's one of the B complex vitamins (B6).
      Yeah I know that much. She dosnt use it specifically to lose weight. She uses it because taking 4 or so of them increases her metabolism momentarily, which in turn makes her go about her day a little faster & combined with eating like a rabbit, she then drops weight. Rediculous I know!!
      Last edited by xxxkazxxx; 10-21-06, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Are you sure it was 100 mg per tab? A normal dose for a woman is 1.5 mg's per day...

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat
          Are you sure it was 100 mg per tab? A normal dose for a woman is 1.5 mg's per day...
          I'll double check :)

Each tablet contains 100mg Pyridoxine hydrochloride! Maybe that is not 100% pyridoxine? But a mix?

Comment

Hmm.....its an OTC pill bottle, right?

Would it be just some type of multi vitamin mix maybe?

Comment

Well if she really is taking 4 or so a day of Pyridoxine hydrochloride at 100mgs per pill she is overdosing. Vitamin B6 can cause neurological disorders, such as loss of sensation in legs and imbalance, when taken in high doses (200 mg or more per day) over a long period of time. She is taking 400mgs per day..

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                Well if she really is taking 4 or so a day of Pyridoxine hydrochloride at 100mgs per pill she is overdosing. Vitamin B6 can cause neurological disorders, such as loss of sensation in legs and imbalance, when taken in high doses (200 mg or more per day) over a long period of time. She is taking 400mgs per day..
                Thanks guys (and girls FB) :)

Your concern at the levels just had me reserch more and I most of what I read sounded like this
                http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/...pyridoxine.php

The dosage short term might be okay, but long term not good at all. So i'm about to jump on the phone and give a lecture.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxkazxxx
                  The dosage short term might be okay, but long term not good at all. So i'm about to jump on the phone and give a lecture.

Cheers!
                  :bravonew: Bravo Kaz! All you can do is educate your sis and make sure that she is aware of what she is taking can be harmful when taken improperly. Like most people, trying to lose weight, they think there is quick fix with supplements. Half the time they don't even know what they are taking, usually something they heard about or a friend may have recommended. They aren't aware of the risks involved when taking these things. Stay educated and informed is all we can do. Good luck with your sis.

Comment

Originally posted by bad14u
                    :bravonew: Bravo Kaz! All you can do is educate your sis and make sure that she is aware of what she is taking can be harmful when taken improperly. Like most people, trying to lose weight, they think there is quick fix with supplements. Half the time they don't even know what they are taking, usually something they heard about or a friend may have recommended. They aren't aware of the risks involved when taking these things. Stay educated and informed is all we can do. Good luck with your sis.
                    Thanks b14u :) I rang her straight away and told her. Then told her she may aswell eat a tablespoon of Vegemite instead. And on the vegemite subject. I almost mentioned the stuff in my last post, but figured not to since it's an aussie addiction & wasnt to sure ya'll would know what i was talking about. But a few days ago on the news i heard America has now banned it.

Vegemite is something aussie children are brought up on. It's as much a part of a kids diet here as breast milk is. The jar label actually reads *One of the worlds richest known sources of vitamin B*. Its a spread you put on sandwiches and toast. I think USA stocks it for Aussie tourists, cause most Americans think it tastes like sh$#. Well I started to notice my daughter go a little crazy at certain times of the day when she was growing up. Eventually i realised it was always after she had eaten vegemite. Vegemite is extremely high in B vitamins. Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflaven & folate. Parents here are always complaining because their kids are hyperactive and act insane & start on the A.D.D factor!. I always try and tell them its the vegemite, but i get shot down as being rediculous since vegemite has been eaten since the dawn of australia! Now, on the news a few days ago, i heard vegemite has been banned in the USA because of its high folate content & total Vitamin B content.

I know ive raved on, but if your country gets it, why cant ours!

Comment

Now ive just read that they didnt ban vegemite. Stupid Media. Ya never know whats true and whats not!

Comment

Vegemite, eh? I'll have to see if I can find any around here. Maybe it can help boost my energy level at times. lol

Comment

youtube.com has a few funny videos of people trying vegemite!

And just to add to the confusion. We also have something called Promite. Which to date, is my favourite spread of all time. Next to Natural PB ofcourse!
                          Last edited by xxxkazxxx; 10-26-06, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Now I know what Men At Work meant by "vegemite sandwich" in that song...lol

Comment

Originally posted by bad14u
                              Now I know what Men At Work meant by "vegemite sandwich" in that song...lol
                              You know who Men At Work are? You must have loved your 80's music!

Comment

Working...
                              X