Circuit training!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit training!!!

Well, ladies and gents- I started circuit training this week, and all I can say is WOOFTIE- it is tough!!! Much tougher than lifting really heavy, and I would say harder than a workout of drop sets. I started it because I think my body has really plateaued with the workouts I've done in the past

It's lined out as a 3 days split...well, that's how I'm doing it anyway. You do each set as they tell you with NO REST in between movements.

Day 1 -Back, bi's & abs. 3 sets each for 10-12 (18 total sets)
    Day 2- Chest, shoulders & tri's. 3 sets each for 12-15 (18 total sets)
    Day 3- Quads, Hams and calves. 3 sets each for 12-15 (18 total sets)
    Day 4- off
    Day 5-Full body 1 set of each body part for 15(18 total sets)
    Day 6- AM Yoga- 20 min
    * I added day 5 & 6 workout myself

This week I warmed up doing 10 min of cardio and then straight to the circuit. I did 2 circuits each day and then 20-30 min of cardio after. On Days 1 & 3 I did 30 min of cardio at lunch also. Next week, the cario increases to 30-40 min after I do the circuit 3 times. Each week it varies, and the whole program is lined out for a 6 week program.

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on these types of workouts. Also, should I throw in a couple non circuit workouts once or twice a week, or should I stick with this for the duration? I am following a pretty strict diet. This week, I went out for pasta at lunch for a semi cheat meal. I'm wanting to simply maintain the muscle I have, and lose BF. In fact, if I lose a little muscle, that would be ok too.

OK - you say you're doing 3 sets of each for two circuits - are you doing one exercise per bodypart? Or one exercise the first circuit and then a different exercise the second circuit?

What's the program you're following - would I be able to see it somewhere...

Comment

Here is what it looks like: Days 1,2 & 3

Bicep Machine 1x12-15
      Pullups- 1x10-12
      Crunches 1x10-15
      Seated Curl 1x12-15
      One Arm Row 1x12-15
      Sit ups 1x12-15
      Conc. Curls 1x12-15
      Pulldowns 1x12-15
      Crunches 1x15

Pec Dec 1x10-12
      Tricep Mach. 1x12-15
      Front Raise 1x12-15
      Incline Pushup 1x12-15
      Pushdown 1x10-12
      Lateral Raise 1x12-15
      Bench Flyes 1x12-15
      Skull Crusher 1x10-12
      Shoulder press 1x12-15

Machine Squat 1x15-20
      Leg curl 1x12-15
      Calf Raise 1x12-15
      Lunges 1x12-15
      Leg press 1x12-15
      Stand Calf raise 1x12-15
      SL Dead Lift 1x12-15
      Bicycle Crunch 1x15-20
      Leg extension 1x12-15

Comment

Great - thanks RS!

Comment

Normally, I think infomercials suck, and while I'm sure there is a large markup, I found an infomercial for P90X that looks pretty interesting. This plan has 12 different workouts ranging from yoga to cardio to resistance. The goal is to become much leaner in 90 days and it is also geared to change things up as your body reaches plateaus. The results that people have had look real & it kind of reminds me of what you're doing. Good luck with your plan. It looks like a challenging workout.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone
            Normally, I think infomercials suck, and while I'm sure there is a large markup, I found an infomercial for P90X that looks pretty interesting. This plan has 12 different workouts ranging from yoga to cardio to resistance. The goal is to become much leaner in 90 days and it is also geared to change things up as your body reaches plateaus. The results that people have had look real & it kind of reminds me of what you're doing. Good luck with your plan. It looks like a challenging workout.

I think that's the one one of our female members is doing - wonder where she is...

Comment

i'm a little confused. you do 1 set of each exercise in quick succession (no rest in between) and then repeat the whole thing again, right. two sets each, per exercise is 18 sets total...but your post mentions 3 sets so am i right to understand you do this for a total of 24 sets?
              i used to do a similar circuit, only in between circuits, i would hop on a cardio machine and go at a high intensity for 5 minutes. then rest for 2 minutes, repeat.
              i used moderate weights and i used 30-20 reps.
              they really smoke you after....

Comment

Tank, Here is what she is saying...I'll layout Day 1

Originally posted by redsquirrel
                Day 1 -Back, bi's & abs. 3 sets each for 10-12 (18 total sets)

This week I warmed up doing 10 min of cardio and then straight to the circuit. I did 2 circuits each day and then 20-30 min of cardio after. On Days 1 & 3 I did 30 min of cardio at lunch also. Next week, the cario increases to 30-40 min after I do the circuit 3 times.
                Originally posted by redsquirrel
                Here is what it looks like: Day 1

Bicep Machine 1x12-15
                Pullups- 1x10-12
                Crunches 1x10-15
                Seated Curl 1x12-15
                One Arm Row 1x12-15
                Sit ups 1x12-15
                Conc. Curls 1x12-15
                Pulldowns 1x12-15
                Crunches 1x15
                Notice there are 3 separate biceps, back, & abdominal movements, so basically, 9 separate movements & she does this circuit 2 times. That is where she is coming up with 18 total sets. The 10 - 12 is reps per set.

Comment

cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

This looks like an awesome workout! I haven't been to the gym in a MONTH! ugh! I can't believe that I am admitting that. I was going to start back today... I've been so busy with Christmas and we just got a puppy - purebred German Shepherd... so I've been running home to let her out instead of going to the gym. I'm going to start this today. Yea! Thanks RS for posting this! It looks tough! :):):)

Comment

Well, I did day 1 and my chest is tight and bicepts are hurting... the pull ups were killer! I did them, but it took awhile to get through. I'm going back today, thanks RS again for posting this.

Comment

You're welcome!!! I get such an unbelievable pump from this workout, and I'm always sore! I think the biggest reason for that is simply because every week you are changing your workout. Doing that will yield great results. I really think it does work. Only do it for a 6 week stint, though. Otherwise, your body can start burning muscle.

It's recommended that after a 6 week cycle of this type of training, you switch to more of a bulking phase. Or, in other words- lift heavy w/ low reps for 4-6 weeks.
                        :)

Comment

Working...
                        X