Birth Control, Hypothyroidism, and Weght Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Control, Hypothyroidism, and Weght Gain

Posting here in case anyone else wants to add thoughts on the situation.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 7-8 years ago. The symptoms were increasingly there but I couldn’t figure what caused them until I got a full set of bloodwork done. The biggest flags for me were weight gain (25-30 pounds gained in about 2 years), excessive fatigue and constant headaches. I attributed a lot of what was going on to hormones, namely estrogen. A dose of 25mcg of levoxyl was prescribed to help level out what was going on. At the same time, I also started birth control.

I gained *more* weight (another 20-30 pounds over 5ish years). I also was going through a rough time and eating like shit but the amount of weight gain was unacceptable. (For those who’ve known me on the board, this time is when I basically walked away from here.) But hindsight is 20/20. So about June of last year, I stopped the birth control and kept going on with the 25mcg levoxyl. I noticed my weight plateaued even with exercise 4-5 times a week and monitoring my food intake.

Let me add some important details: I’m not a huge “diet” person. I don’t monitor each and every calorie or carb or fat. When I say “monitor my food intake”, I mean cutting out fried foods. Prepping meals at home vs. eating out. Less carbs, more proteins. I also adjust my meals based on how I feel after eating them (energy levels, etc.)

After speaking with my doctor, we made some important changes. We increased the amount of levoxyl from 25mcg to 50mcg. This was unusual since my thyroid levels were in the “normal range” but still higher than where they were when compared to bloodwork before it was acquired. She also insisted that I continue with birth control but switched to Nuvaring instead of tri sprintec (both for obvious birth control reasons but also to regulate my cycle and associated symptoms). Since the change being made earlier in the summer, I’ve lost around 20 pounds, down 2 pant sizes and I feel fucking amazing.

I’m not seeking an evaluation from anyone on anything specific but I just wanted to share what the journey was like for me.

Good shit mofo. I wonder if it's purely the thyroid or a mix of the increased dose and diet. Meaning if you had kept eating exactly the same but still increased the dose would you have lost the same 20lbs.

Anyway good to hear your doing good. I like the honesty.

Sent from my Moto G6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
      Good shit mofo. I wonder if it's purely the thyroid or a mix of the increased dose and diet. Meaning if you had kept eating exactly the same but still increased the dose would you have lost the same 20lbs.

Anyway good to hear your doing good. I like the honesty.

If I told you what I was eating, you would have banned me from the board. Tons of sugar and processed food. If it was deep fried, I ate it. No amounts of levoxyl could have helped.

I just wish I didn’t wait as long as I did to finally address the issues. Losing the weight has been a bitch. And now I’m having to come to terms that my boobs are gonna shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by mofo View Post
        If I told you what I was eating, you would have banned me from the board. Tons of sugar and processed food. If it was deep fried, I ate it. No amounts of levoxyl could have helped.

I just wish I didn’t wait as long as I did to finally address the issues. Losing the weight has been a bitch. And now I’m having to come to terms that my boobs are gonna shrink.
        Live and learn fatty. :D

Plus guess what, when you do eat junk food here and there it will be so much better tasting. When you eat clean, junk food becomes a treat. When you eat that shit everyday you get used it, taste buds get dull.

Comment

I do know that some birth control can make you gain weight like crazy, particularly the rod implant in your arm. My ex gained 20lbs from having the implant. I also know of some other similar instances and they all coincided with starting birth control.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
            I do know that some birth control can make you gain weight like crazy, particularly the rod implant in your arm. My ex gained 20lbs from having the implant. I also know of some other similar instances and they all coincided with starting birth control.
            Yeah. I can’t justify getting something implanted in me. The arm implant or IUD just freaks me out because I have no control of removing it myself.

Comment

Just wait to have sex until your married. Pretty simple. Worked great for me! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
                Just wait to have sex until your married. Pretty simple. Worked great for me! :D
                I’m sure there are plenty of people who believe that is what I’m doing. I’m waiting for “the one”.

Comment

Did we make you feel better Mofo?

Comment

Did we make you feel better Mofo?
                    I never really felt bad but I appreciate you guys. I was more so ashamed of myself and what I let myself become over the last few years is all.

Also, y’all are a bunch of weirdos anyway.

Comment

Good to see they got it all figured out and you're feeling better. Sucks to feel down when it's out of your hands.

Tapatalk sucks balls

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
                        Good to see they got it all figured out and you're feeling better. Sucks to feel down when it's out of your hands.

Tapatalk sucks balls
                        Nah bro. She said she's not feeling better because she never felt bad.

Comment

Nah bro. She said she's not feeling better because she never felt bad.
                          I meant more about self confidence. Feeling good about losing the weight and what not.

Tapatalk sucks balls

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
                            I meant more about self confidence. Feeling good about losing the weight and what not.

Tapatalk sucks balls
                            You are clearly flirting with her

Comment

You are clearly flirting with her
                              No, I'm flirting with you red.

Tapatalk sucks balls

Comment

Working...
                              X