Training Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Legs

I just started lifting again after a long hiatus. Today I did legs (sqauts & deads) and it felt very weird. Like my quads felt like they were going to cramp up and maybe give out any moment during the squats. I always felt this, even when in better shape, to one degree or another. It is a very different sensation from lifting any other muscle group. Do other people feel this way too?

No, I do not. However, I find it very hard to "feel" a pump in my hams. My quads and glutes respond to any training so I don't lift heavy nor use high voulme., but my calves in my opinion, need help. I am trying a calf routine given to me by fitness girl.

Is it possible that you have an elctrolyte inbalance? Is everything else consistent?

Comment

Not sure if I experience the same pain you do, but I do train my legs to exhaustion, so that it's hard to walk, have actually thrown up once, but that was after a realllly heavy workout. Is it just exhaustion you experience or is it more painful?

Comment

Re: Training Legs

Originally posted by VeggieLifterGal
        I just started lifting again after a long hiatus. Today I did legs (sqauts & deads) and it felt very weird. Like my quads felt like they were going to cramp up and maybe give out any moment during the squats. I always felt this, even when in better shape, to one degree or another. It is a very different sensation from lifting any other muscle group. Do other people feel this way too?
        If you feel as if your legs could give out at anytime, isn't it possible you are doing too much weight? It will take awhile for your muscles to remember after your "hiatus"...a long one at that. You need to remember the weight you did before is more than likely going to be too much to start off with. Even when you were in better shape and felt like this, it sounds to me as if you were doing too much weight. You have to give your body time to adjust and handle heavier weight. Also, when you do heavy weight and should not, your form suffers. Improper form will breed injury, and be detrimental to muscle growth.

Comment

Originally posted by nformd
          No, I do not. However, I find it very hard to "feel" a pump in my hams. My quads and glutes respond to any training so I don't lift heavy nor use high voulme., but my calves in my opinion, need help. I am trying a calf routine given to me by fitness girl.

Is it possible that you have an elctrolyte inbalance? Is everything else consistent?
          What would cause an electrolyte imbalance?

Comment

Re: Re: Training Legs

Originally posted by redsquirrel
            If you feel as if your legs could give out at anytime, isn't it possible you are doing too much weight? It will take awhile for your muscles to remember after your "hiatus"...a long one at that. You need to remember the weight you did before is more than likely going to be too much to start off with. Even when you were in better shape and felt like this, it sounds to me as if you were doing too much weight. You have to give your body time to adjust and handle heavier weight. Also, when you do heavy weight and should not, your form suffers. Improper form will breed injury, and be detrimental to muscle growth.
            You're probably right. This is kinda pathetic, but I was doing squats with just the bar. And then the bar plus 5 pounds on each side. So I was taking it about as easy as is possible. Unless I just start without any weight at all.

I have an easy time doing long runs, and I've heard that people who are good at that rather than good at sprinting will have a harder time with the weights. Some kind of difference in muscle fiber (slow v fast twitch?). Does that sound like it might have something to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood
              Not sure if I experience the same pain you do, but I do train my legs to exhaustion, so that it's hard to walk, have actually thrown up once, but that was after a realllly heavy workout. Is it just exhaustion you experience or is it more painful?
              It's probably best described as exhuastion. It isn't like a sharp pain or anything. Just feels like my quads are cramping up real tight. It's difficult to walk. I know I lookf unny trying to walk when my legs are so stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by fitness-girl
                I too feel as if im going to cramp when working out legs. I HAVE to stretch between sets so i don't cramp.
                Sounds like what I'm experiencing. I do stretch inbetween but even that doesn't stop it from cramping sometimes. Once, during a rest, I actually fell because my legs gave out. It wasn't painful, it was like my muscles had hit failure in a very real sense.

I guess maybe I just have super weak legs. My upper body is disproportionately stronger then.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Training Legs

Originally posted by VeggieLifterGal
                  You're probably right. This is kinda pathetic, but I was doing squats with just the bar. And then the bar plus 5 pounds on each side. So I was taking it about as easy as is possible. Unless I just start without any weight at all.

I have an easy time doing long runs, and I've heard that people who are good at that rather than good at sprinting will have a harder time with the weights. Some kind of difference in muscle fiber (slow v fast twitch?). Does that sound like it might have something to do with it?
                  You muscle fiber composition could have something to do with it. But, I guarantee you there are bb'ers who are good at long runs ( slow twitch ) that squat. The key is, you need to start off slow, and build up your muscle fibers. Many women get frustrated because they dont see their body developing at the pace they want, so they do more weight when they shouldn't causing injury, and in the end, more time off from the gym.

Maybe don't start with squating right away. Maybe you should try lunges or try the smith squat machine to get your form and your strength down pat, and then move on to squating.

Comment

Working...
                  X