stopping bc pills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stopping bc pills?

I've heard conflicting things about whether its good or bad to "take a break" from BC pills. I'd like to go off of them for a couple months to drop some fat. I have a very hard time losing when I'm on them, but I noticed that back when I wasn't taking them as consistently as I should have, my bf% dropped significantly. I don't have to worry about pregnancy because I'm not having any sex right now. My boyfriend is coming back from a long deployment in 3-4 months, so I guess I'd need to start taking them again soon enough so that I'll be protected when I need to be. Does anyone have any advice on whether this is a good/bad idea and how soon I would need to get back on them in time to be safe?

He's coming back in May. I haven't started the new pack yet. I should have done so over a week ago. I was on Loestrin 1.5/30

Comment

I've heard it wasn't a good idea to stop and start bc just as it isn't a good idea to switch brands especially for that short of time. I think it would be more worth while for you if you stayed on them. If you stopped taking the pill you'd have to start again a month before your hubby came back and that doesn't leave much time for your body to adjust.

Comment

The major weight loss associated with B/C pills is a ton of water weight. The main reason you haven't been able to drop much B/F is because of the hormonal effects the Pill has on the body. The additional estrogen in the pills makes it difficult to drop body fat. Missing 2 or 3 pills is not going to have that much effect on your body fat. It may have had some effect on your water weight, but unless you go completely off for an extended period of time, you wouldn't have that dramatic of a drop.

You need to stay on the Pill. If your BF is coming back soon, you would start to see a change in your body right when you had to get back on. There really is no reason to get off and get back on. But I understand your frustration. It is extremely difficult to lose BF. I was supposed to take them to help w/ endometriosis. But I stopped them almost 2 years ago because of the difficulty losing BF.

Comment

Hmm if I keep taking them, what should I do right now? I;ve missed like the first week of pills.

Comment

I guess I could look into taking a pill with lower estrogen, but once I tried Alesse and it was hell.

Comment

The lower estrogen really won't make a big difference. It is the hormonal make up in B/C in general that cause the water weight, etc. I tried Alesse also thinking the same you did.
              You need to follow the directions on your pill case that say:
              IF YOU MISS MORE THAN 3 PILLS IN A ROW, THROW OUT THE PACK AND START A NEW ONE.

Comment

i already missed 3 weeks worth so i guess ill just wait til i get my period? I wouldn't mind skipping the period and just taking them, as long as it won't fuck me up. good pt about the total makeup. I looked it up and actually the estrogenic activity in it is low and the androgenic activity is high.

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieLifterGal
                  i already missed 3 weeks worth so i guess ill just wait til i get my period? I wouldn't mind skipping the period and just taking them, as long as it won't fuck me up. good pt about the total makeup. I looked it up and actually the estrogenic activity in it is low and the androgenic activity is high.
                  Well, based on what you had said earlier in the thread that you had only missed about a week, I guess go ahead and start when you should after you get your next period. But, don't be surprised if 1) it comes late, or 2) it doesn't come at all. Right now, your hormones are going wacky.
                  As far as the estrogen in B/C pills...it matters very little about the estrogen levels in the pills. For some biological reason on B/C pills, you could be on really high estrogen pills, or low. Either way, you will still have the weight gain because you are supplementing a hormone your body already produces. You are going to have androgenic activity no matter what. You are adding hormones to your body.

Comment

Well, FG...as far as protection goes...it's NATTA!! If I get prego, I get prego. I know i'm never going to be pro, so I'm not as worried about it. If I'm getting ready for a show and a little bambino is on it's way...oh well! At least I'll be kinda lean when I get prego!! LOL..Because of the endo, it's somewhat harder for me to get prego. You add the AAS into the mix, and it's really hard.

Comment

I concur. My OB advised me to keep taking the Pill to help keep my periods regular. However, menstruation can aggravate Endo. I decided to get off because I just couldn't lose weight no matter what I did when I was on the Pill. The estrogen caused me, and so many others to hold on to so much water. I felt like a blimp. it jsut became too discouraging for me to diet and not lose any weight.

I know you are very driven and determined, but I don't know what your goals are. If you do want to take your fitness pursuit to the next level, I would not take B/C. You and bigrig may have to settle for a good old rubber. I would not want to take that risk. However, if you don't plan to do any shows after your upcoming one the rest of the year, the Pill could be an option.

I just weighed my options: Is family or doing a show more important? Obviously family is since I may have a tough time as it is. However, I know it is true with me and some others that taking AAS can make it harder to get prego. Don't use that as a form of B/C, but maybe with that in mind, and the use of a condom, you will probably be OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X