No announcement yet.

Roids for Grip Strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so a little bit more about my sit. I do have some grip strength. Before I started climbing a year ago I did a little power lifting. Not compitition or anything but recently I pulled an 8 plate on a deadlift for 6 reps. So about 400lbs. Last year I couldnt do more than 3 plates without straps--Im getin better eventhough I dont lift much anymore.

I bought a set of grip trainers 3 months ago. They have helped..well maybe. Its hard to tell--My climbing level has not really changed much in 3 months. I dont know how much of using the grips transfers to functional climbing and grip because in climbing one grips various shaped holds in many different orientations. The board rado was talking about sound slike a really good idea. They have one at the gym and I use it but I could definitly use it more often.

As far as the grip trainers what sort of workout would you recommend? I own 4 of them. An easy one from walmart, 150, 200, 250. So far I can rep the 150 fairly easily and the 250 I cant squeeze it once.

I also climb 3 days a week and do cardio (HIIT) 2/week.
    After I finish school finals soon I was thinking of a ketogenic diet. School=excess fat. It would not hurt to loose 15lbs for sure. ---Or more??? I hate the idea of loosing muscle but it may help me—my legs look like Schwarzeneggers—well maybe not that big but they are muscular.

---The golden question---
    Roids or no roids?
    Wait or not to wait?
    Or maybe just do a mild cutting cycle to start??
    One of you mentioned that roids will not improve grip but would they help for lats and cardio?
    Ive also see that many bodybuilders say wait until you are at the advanced level before doing gear. Why would someone wait? Wouldnt it improve the time it takes to get to that level?
    Or what about gear for recovery time? – I wish I could climb more often but Im held back by tired arms and sometimes sore lats.

Comment

oh yeah and plate training sounds like a good idea too. I could definitely add a little that

Comment

Grippers won't help much for climbing. Plate pinching, hubbing, and block pinches will. Some guys can do rafter pullups. Pinching ceiling rafters to pull up. Very impressive. I would recommend getting into those lifts and hang boarding and campus boarding. For your lats do pullups, chinups and rows all should help but your main focus to get better at climbing is more climbing. Try to clean up your diet and cut some weight. Work on endurance I just don't think gear will benefit your goals much here. What grade level are you climbing at BTW?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
          Grippers won't help much for climbing. Plate pinching, hubbing, and block pinches will. Some guys can do rafter pullups. Pinching ceiling rafters to pull up. Very impressive. I would recommend getting into those lifts and hang boarding and campus boarding. For your lats do pullups, chinups and rows all should help but your main focus to get better at climbing is more climbing. Try to clean up your diet and cut some weight. Work on endurance I just don't think gear will benefit your goals much here. What grade level are you climbing at BTW?
          Funny how all of us here, we all have some type of knowledge, and good useful stuff. Never I think you'd be the "grip expert" lol :D

The stuff we use is by far the best, for our sport that is. What ate your thoughts on the peg wall? I know most has to do forearm strength, but you gotta have that fucking grip as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
            Funny how all of us here, we all have some type of knowledge, and good useful stuff. Never I think you'd be the "grip expert" lol :D

The stuff we use is by far the best, for our sport that is. What ate your thoughts on the peg wall? I know most has to do forearm strength, but you gotta have that fucking grip as well.
            Man I miss the old peg wall! Fun and useful. This would be great for climbers imo. Wish I had one myself.

Comment

I am climbing solid 5.11a

Comment

Originally posted by moos321 View Post
                I am climbing solid 5.11a
                That's pretty good. If your lats are getting sore you may need to work on your footwork. Technique rules all and you will feel much stronger by dropping some weight. I think Sharma is probably the heaviest top sport climber out there and he's only around 170 pounds. Guys like Ondra I would be surprised if he was even 150. You won't climb 5.15 at 190 but I don't know what your goal is. If women can climb 5.14d than you can climb higher grades with consistent training. Be honest with yourself and find a good climbing partner that can give you pointers.

Ultimately you are an adult and the decision is yours so if you choose the Drug route, what the guys above mentioned would work just don't be surprised if it doesn't help as much as you would think or if you end up gaining weight.

I'd also like to add, even if you don't decide to go the Drug route feel free to stick around. We have good people here that know a lot about diet, recipes, training and just shooting the shit.

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
                  Yeah his avatar doesn't scream "grip strength" does it? :laugh:

Comment

I did a lot of climbing in my 20's. Where I lived at the time had a barn. I built a climbing wall in it that inverted as you climbed up the inside of the roof. I had a self belay device that allowed me to climb by myself. It was an awesome setup. Most like you don't have this option but maybe you have a basement or you could build an outside bouldering wall like below.

Last edited by Chadd77; 08-14-15, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
                      Man I miss the old peg wall! Fun and useful. This would be great for climbers imo. Wish I had one myself.
                      I'll take a pic:P later of the one we use.

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
                      Yeah his avatar doesn't scream "grip strength" does it? :laugh:
                      :fufool:

Comment

Thats dedication!! Why did you stop climbing?

Comment

In your opinion what would I expect to see as compared to not doing gear?

Comment

Originally posted by moos321 View Post
                            Thats dedication!! Why did you stop climbing?
                            Obviously, to climb on rock you need a partner and finding a reliable partner was tough. Then I started getting into bodybuilding and that became my focus. I took a group of high school kids to a local climbing gym last year. I do miss it just don't have the time for it anymore. Still have all my gear.

Comment

I went to a climbing wall for the first time a few months ago and absolutely loved it. I wouldn't mind doing it again, but between lifting, trail running and hiking, finding time to dedicate to it is next to impossible. I don't want to dabble in another hobby, if I get into it, I want to be serious about it.

Comment

Who knew shit site had a bunch of gripbillers... Ghey

Comment

Working...
                                X