Bowflex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowflex

Hi all. I,m new to the forum. I wanted to get your opinions about the bowflex machine. I have and older model with the overhead unit but not the leg extenion. I'm a bit out of shape right now after a couple of motorcycle accidents (worst injury was a broken collarbone).
    I'm into just health maintainance and some mild body strenghtening. I do some trackdays on my sportbike and need to stay stromg and flexible.
    I have a routine that pretty much works me head to foot with an emphisis on the body core chest/abs/upr-lwr back.

Dave

I've never used one so I can't comment much. Personally when I train I prefer to use as many free weights as I can as opposed to machines, mainly because I'm short and the machines are made for bigger people and I wind up hurting myself on them.

With your goals, bowflex may be fine for ya, but if you're going to invest any more money, I'd suggest a gym membership so you can have more options.

Comment

Re: Bowflex

Originally posted by day004
      Hi all. I,m new to the forum. I wanted to get your opinions about the bowflex machine.
      I can tell you this....just 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week...will not get you anywhere!

Comment

There are much better machine's you can purchase, I'm not a fan

Comment

Re: Re: Bowflex

Originally posted by bad14u
          I can tell you this....just 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week...will not get you anywhere!
          You've seen the commercial of the 41 y/o volleyball dude, who looks pretty good. He "packed on 12 lbs of solid muscle in just 6 weeks using the Bowflex, 20 minutes a day 3 times a week". You know, somebody should call them out on that commercial, and others, it's false and mis-leading advertising at best. Basically, a F---ing LIE.

Save your money and invest in some good old fashioned dumbells or barbells or join a gym. You'll be much happier. BB

Comment

When I was hitting it pretty good my workout took about 1 1/2 hrs. From warmup stretch workout cooldown. I did get decent results. My problem is that my life has no set schedule plus I've never been much of a habitual person. I'm trying to keep at it though. Want to get my 45 year old body ready to kid some 20 something ass at the track....
            Dave

Comment

I have a the Weider version of it. So far I have lost about 20 pounds on it. I have a newborn and a busy wife so the gym is out of question for me. I can change exercises quickly and my son can roam around in his walker while I lose weight. I still use some of my free weights for curls, but overall I am pleased. I really wasnt going to pay what Bowflex wanted for their machine.
              http://www.iconfitness.com/cgi-bin/n...rrfnbr=1018148

Comment

I think it's a good piece of equipment for someone that is mainly looking to stay in shape. As far as bodybuilding or something of that nature, that's a whole different story and it would never work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lmg2701
                  I think it's a good piece of equipment for someone that is mainly looking to stay in shape. As far as bodybuilding or something of that nature, that's a whole different story and it would never work.
                  LMG is correct... I used one for a couple of years while I was single.... It did not pack on the mass like free weights, but it kept me lean and strong... the set up for squats is not worth the money IMO... You can squat the whole deal and it is still not enough.... I did them but my legs did get much smaller while I used it.. It is a much better upper body workout than lower... I also used the leg extension and curl set up... Its ok

I gained 10 lbs just going from it back to a gym later on... I think you are better buying one out of the local paper or something like that...or a Athletic store where they sell free weights, machines and everything you need to work out..... those stores sometimes have bowflex's that someone has traded for something else... Look for a bargain when shopping for one of these...

Comment

Originally posted by day004
                    Hi all. I,m new to the forum. I wanted to get your opinions about the bowflex machine. I have and older model with the overhead unit but not the leg extenion. I'm a bit out of shape right now after a couple of motorcycle accidents (worst injury was a broken collarbone).
                    I'm into just health maintainance and some mild body strenghtening. I do some trackdays on my sportbike and need to stay stromg and flexible.
                    I have a routine that pretty much works me head to foot with an emphisis on the body core chest/abs/upr-lwr back.

Dave
                    Im not a fan of the bowflex but if you cant get to the gym and the free weights dont appeal to you much, I would rather get what qaloss uses, seems like the weider machine is better then the bowflex..........

http://www.platinumplus.com/platinum/plus/index.html

Comment

personally i cant imagine not getting my body moving and taking myself to the gym to workout. its almost a ritual for me and i would def feel rather lost without it.

Comment

For the price of a bowflew you could build a pretty kick-ass home gym, but if you've already got one then that's what you've got.

Comment

I tried a bowflex once and wasn't impressed. Waste too much energy trying to stabalize the motion.

Comment

Working...
                          X