Home Gym Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timber View Post
    I might be able to add a point of view as I have put together several home gyms over the years. Space is always the problem. Power rack goes without saying as the most important piece. Dumbbells are the next most useful pieces but also the most space consuming. Though they are pricey I strongly recommend Powerblocks or some kind of dial wt. These days there are several manufactures. In the end you will spend more on individual dumbbells than what powerblocks cost. Space is the real trade off though

Power racks are so large though> why not go with a press squat stand setup that has a much smaller footprint?

dumbells dont take up THAT much space. If space is an issue... stack them in a corner on the floor.

This was the very beginnings of my home gym. was around 3k (maybe less) for everything... including the flooring. I have much more equipment now though.

CrossFitAlpha - The Beginning
    Last edited by Nekrawulf; 02-18-08, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekrawulf View Post
      Power racks are so large though> why not go with a press squat stand setup that has a much smaller footprint?

dumbells dont take up THAT much space. If space is an issue... stack them in a corner on the floor.

This was the very beginnings of my home gym. was around 3k (maybe less) for everything... including the flooring. I have much more equipment now though.

CrossFitAlpha - The Beginning
      Well I guess safety relay, I know I workout alone as I think many do with a home gym.

By the way are those stall matt's or something else. I am going to redo my gym in another room for more space. I would love to see the rest of your gym

Comment

I like a larger rack for sumo-deads and wide squats. As far as dumbells go you can handles large enough to hold 6-10lb plates each side (120lbs).

A rack, pull-up bar, DB handle, weights, olympic bars, dip bars are all you need. A decent cable machine would be nice for some movements but its nothing that couldnt be duplicated with free weights.

Dont get a smith machine. If you dont have a spotter just place the spot pins high enough that you can just roll the bar off your back on to them. Thats what there for. The smith machine expensive and doesnt recruit the same amount of muscle mass as free squats.

Comment

Originally posted by Timber View Post
          Well I guess safety relay, I know I workout alone as I think many do with a home gym.

By the way are those stall matt's or something else. I am going to redo my gym in another room for more space. I would love to see the rest of your gym
          Yup,

3/4 inch stall mats from Tractor Supply Company.

Ill try to get some updated pics

Comment

Yea that is what I was going to use, I am putting in a full bath in there now so it will be right in the gym.

Comment

Relocate. Real profesional BB's use a couple gyms and there hone gym. Your gonna be more motivated when you see other people lifting specially if you ever compete.

Comment

i have a parabody rack, dumbells, bars, i got the pulley attachment on it, dip attachment it has a bar to do pull ups on, and my bench is adjustable with an attachment for leg curls and extensions that attach to the pulley system i love this stuff for home and it didnt cost to much about 3k brand new i already had a treadmill and life fitness x9 eliptical, i got parabody equipment and love it, i also purchased about 8 4x8 rubber matts 3/4 inch thick to save my floor sometimes i drop weight but do some research stay away from the crap machines from dicks sports authority etc find places like omni fitness key2fitness or lifefitness stores around you and you love them, theres also a new company im selling some of their equipment called raptor from promaxima and there stuff isnt that expensive its industrial strength but cheaper. check it out
                Raptor Muscle Machines: Homepage

maybe i can look into some discounts from the gym for you where i sell this stuff and let yo uknow about shipping all there orders come out of dallas so its not that far from you

Comment

Updated pics of my Garage Gym

Comment

Working...
                  X