Need help gaining chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help gaining chest

I noticed that I stopped growing at a certain point but my weights are moving up. I backed off of the bar for a bit, went to dumbells to work on my form and cut my weights back to about 50% until I was stable. I added cables for everyother chest day. I have heard conflicting stories about gaining chest size. Is it high weight low rep, or 80% full sets? No matter what I lift, I get rubbery the next day but I am not getting sore anymore. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What's your weight and body fat? Gain some weight. If you are staying at the same body weight you can only put on so much size and gains will stop at some point.

Comment

Don't do anything for chest for a few weeks. Then go in and do every set till failure. You will be sore and it may be what you need to get past your issue.

Comment

Change up your training style for chest. Try to attack your chest a different way, instead of using barbells, cables, bars, try to dip. Add in an extra set or take a set out and increase your weight. Or do a drop set as a your last set. There are a lot of variations, just play around and see what works.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. I have been at this for more than 7 months now. The last time I checked my BFP was 16. I am 5'11" and fluxuate between 195 and 200. I thought I was doing 80% 4 sets of 10 with 65lb dbs. I went up to 75lb 4 sets of 6 and I am still able to complete the sets. I will try the drop set and keep going up in weight. I see a lot of adds for suppliments, but when I read the reviews, all I see is people warning others not to waste their time and money. I understand that most people that immediatly go to suppliments before they build a base are expecting way too much out of them. But is there anything legitimate out there? SDI Labs? Something discrete and powerful? I have no experience with enhancing suppliments. I take about 150 grams of protein with food and shakes daily. I see people in the gym, usually they hang out in pairs and they are fucking huge. I don't want to look that big but I can't help but think that shit isn't natural. I am a higher rank in the military and don't need the heat.

Comment

I would forget about cables. Stick to flat bench for size.

Comment

Don't waste your time and money with supplements - the only one that will do you any good is protein powder. Just make sure you are getting enough protein and enough calories. And keep your reps in the 10-12 range.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                the only one that will do you any good is protein powder.
                creatine is a proven legit supp also.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  creatine is a proven legit supp also.
                  Fair enough.... protein powder and creatine then. I was a bit nervous suggesting creatine because I am not sure what the military regulations are for creatine. I know that guys get thrown out of Navy SEAL BUD/S training for having/consuming creatine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                    I know that guys get thrown out of Navy SEAL BUD/S training for having/consuming creatine.
                    really?

Comment

Yep. I was watching a video on BUD/S training and the instructors clearly tell the candidates that they'll get thrown out of the program if they are found to have creatine on them. Now I don't know if they were tested for it (don't even know if there is a test for stuff like creatine) or whether they just were talking about a sweep of their barracks.

Comment

any reason for it?

Comment

I am guessing they just didn't want having a situation like that ephedra situation with the baseball player keeling over, so they just did a blanket ban on all supplements.

After all BUD/S places uncommon stress on the body with long days, very little sleep and crazy demands on calorie and water intake and who knows what the hell the effects of ephedra/ginseng/etc. etc. has on a stressed out body.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrecht View Post
                            I noticed that I stopped growing at a certain point but my weights are moving up. I backed off of the bar for a bit, went to dumbells to work on my form and cut my weights back to about 50% until I was stable. I added cables for everyother chest day. I have heard conflicting stories about gaining chest size. Is it high weight low rep, or 80% full sets? No matter what I lift, I get rubbery the next day but I am not getting sore anymore. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                            I would have to see you do the movements to make an opinion on what you need to do.

Comment

The reason those guys get booted out from Spec Ops training is not because the legality of suppliments. Of course some of them are illegal. The main reason is that they need to retain water. From what I understand, due to the amount of water they recieve, they can't just find water any and everywhere. So they tend to dehydrate much faster than those who don't take it. People have been known to die in Ranger School, the Spec Ops Q course, and Navy Seals Qual courses.

I have been having a major problem lately with recovery. I noticed that about 12 hours after I work out, and am really tired, lethargic and dizzy. I did some research, and it said that excercise might be the cause, but that too much protein can cause your body to fight back. I looked up the recommended dose for my size and it says 72g which I get from food daily plus more. Then I take in about 104g through suppliments.

I went to flat bench (incline, bench, decline) by the way and I am using cables with low weights from 6 different angles. I also do shoulders and tri's on the same day. The next day I am doing Bi's and back. The third day, I am doing squats, extensions, contractions and calve raises. I end every work out with different ab burnout excercises and 45 minutes on the stair climber to burn off my waist.

I am not saying that I want to give up but Jesus H. Rodriguez, I am not seeing any improvement. I just see a pool of sweat surrounding me in the gym, I crash for hours, wake up fucked up, take a scoop of Jack3d and hit the gym again. My shit is starting to tar up badly.

Comment

Working...
                              X