Premier League Soccer Abandons BLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post

Nobody is accusing you or anyone else of being racist. I don't know any of you from a hole in the ground, so each of us could be a saint or a scoundrel in real life.

But I guess we are in this bizarro world where I am the racist for pointing out that blm is a movement protesting systemic discrimination, especially at the hands of LE, and the apathy of society in not caring.

Carry on.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

BLM has morphed into something a little different in the eyes of a great many people. I would strongly argue it is far more divisive and hurtful to the nation as a whole than it is helpful.

That was my point with the OP link. That soccer club recognizes this and I fully agree with them.

Perhaps the following is a bit dramatic but I think it drives the point nicely. Something that starts out innocently enough can be completely destroyed by those who shout the loudest...

https://www.britannica.com/story/how...ika-was-ruined

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I know about the swastik (as we call it in my culture).

This country, and in particular, its right wing, has always been deeply uncomfortable with the oppressed standing up and taking a stand. Native Americans were met with water cannons when they had the temerity to stand up against DAPL. Hispanics and people working in the fields in the Central Valley of California had dogs set on them and had the stuffing beaten out of them by police and vigilantes when they protested against poor working conditions in the farms. I don't even have to mention what happened during the Civil Rights struggle.

The privileged and the powerful have been reluctant to cede an ounce of power. They have been so used to the scales being so tipped in their favor, even the slightest move towards restoring a semblance of balance is viewed as an existential crisis for their way of life.

It is the story of America. We could be so much more than who we are. We could actually live up to the ideals we espouse, that hitherto have been mere empty words. The fact that we wilfully refuse to do so is the saddest reality of all.
      Last edited by Scrumhalf; 09-17-20, 11:13 PM.

Comment

My issue is only with BLM and it’s misalignment. A month ago 38 people were shot dead in a weekend in Chicago including a 6 year old. Nothing from blm who just focus on one narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          Yeah, I know about the swastik (as we call it in my culture).

This country, and in particular, its right wing, has always been deeply uncomfortable with the oppressed standing up and taking a stand. Native Americans were met with water cannons when they had the temerity to stand up against DAPL. Hispanics and people working in the fields in the Central Valley of California had dogs set on them and had the stuffing beaten out of them by police and vigilantes when they protested against poor working conditions in the farms. I don't even have to mention what happened during the Civil Rights struggle.

The privileged and the powerful have been reluctant to cede an ounce of power. They have been so used to the scales being so tipped in their favor, even the slightest move towards restoring a semblance of balance is viewed as an existential crisis for their way of life.

It is the story of America. We could be so much more than who we are. We could actually live up to the ideals we espouse, that hitherto have been mere empty words. The fact that we wilfully refuse to do so is the saddest reality of all.
          Agree on all points but again not really to do with the argument we are having here.

White people die at the hands of police all the time. Not a peep. And as Mr I pointed out, far more blacks die at the hands of other blacks than they do the police. Not a peep.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

The notion that black people and residents of neighborhoods with gang violence, etc. are not concerned about it, that there is "not a peep," is profoundly ignorant. There are significant grassroots level community efforts to address them and there is a huge concern among the community to reduce the violence.

But often, the solutions for those issues require long-term actions in terms of better equipped schools, more opportunities for the kids in those communities, and stepping away from the punitive pipeline that gives kids rap sheets for the most trvial issues and destroys their ability to build decent lives.

What BLM is focused on is the systemic brutal treatment that POC get at the hands of the criminal justice system. We need to stop with the whataboutism.

Comment

Originally posted by LIV

2Pac said it best "people say its the white man I should fear, but its my own kind doin all the killin here"

RIP Tupac Shakur
              That’s right, and while scrum talks about the solutions required to stop black people committing violent being “long term” I call bullshit. It’s yet another excuse and we’ve been hearing the same for decades and decades and it’s getting old.

On balance good people do good things.

Comment

I challenge anyone to show me a program BLM has started in any community to actually help youth education getting people housing work or stopping gang violence and or black on black crime..... They are here for one reason...create and keep division in our country period!

Comment

just remember everyone. anyone that has a different perspective from scrum is "profoundly ignorant" and/or a racist that wants to hold down the "icky people"...

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
                    They are here for one reason...create and keep division in our country period!
                    I would say it probably started out with a well meaning message. I don't think the original intention was to cause division.

but i would agree that's exactly what it has turned into. traditional media and social media have twisted and distorted it into something very ugly indeed.

Comment

Guess I'm a white privilege racist fuck then.all my black brown n yellow brothers I served with were wrong I guess...cause we were all green... Brothers in arms when it mattered most...but what the fuck would an uneducated white boy know

Comment

Black Lives Matter Removes Language about Disrupting the Nuclear Family from Website

The language had been featured on the site’s “What We Believe” page, in which the group had laid out its support for various extreme policies and ideals that went beyond police reform and brutality. Attempts to access the page now yield a message that reads, “Page Not Found. Sorry, but the page you were trying to view does not exist,” the Washington Examiner first discovered on Monday.

The page had described the group as a “global Black family” that engages “comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts,” according to an archive.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-liv...185621063.html

Comment

Working...
                        X