No announcement yet.

Venting about yesterday's gym experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to deal with parents all the time man and believe me they always know everything better than you do. Pudgy was right on, if they admit you are right than they must be wrong and that is not something that their precious ego can live with. Not even at the expense of somone elses well being.

Comment

It's actually a technique you have to learn to be able to approach people and give them advice without them becoming defensive. Each situation is different. But there are always going to be those people who just don't want to listen. Hell I've been training for years and will still listen to what somone older has to say before I choose to ignore if be. Just the other day some older guy was training this lanky kid. I was doing some dumbell presses. Got up and went to get a drink of water. As I walked past him he tells me to breathe more and that I'm holding my breath at times. My initial reaction was to look at him, look at me, then laugh. Unless they look better than me I will disregard them quickly. But I have learned to keep more of an open mind. So instead I just kind of gave him a nod (not to be rude, it's just after I do a set it's kind of hard for me to talk) thought about what he said on the way to the water fountain and then focused on it my next set and relized I was, so he actually helped me out. Even the best of us still need somone to help them with the basics sometimes. You tend to take them for granted after lifting for a long time. And the guy I work out with is just a beginner, so I can't rely on him to keep me in check.

Comment

I workout at the Y so I see alot of kids,Push parents, old people etc. who have no clue what they are doing or why. 300 lb women doing bicep curls. I saw one old fart get on a Cybex curl machine backwards and try to grab the handles and do tricep extension I assume. If there is one thing I have learned is most people hate to get advise. Ill let them kill themselves. I do feel sorry for kids like you talked about. Daddy think he know everything and dont know sh**.

Comment

I didn't read everyone's replies, but only the first few.

Perhaps I am the only one here who thinks this, but why are you so sure you wre in the right? I squat with my legs at shoulder width apart, get very close to parallel. I also do box squats in which my legs are a little further apart, but not much further.

As far as being on the toes, I dunno about that. Unless he was trying to do sissy squats, but I don't think a 14 year old has any business doing sissy squats.

As far as his back exerices go, I thought you were talking about stiff legged deads. If so, they can be done safely.

Comment

He wasn't squatting with legs shoulder width... they were right beside each other, maybe 4 inches apart. I don't know of anyone who would suggest squats be done like that. Also w/ the back thing, that's basically what he was doing, but he was doing it on a machine made for bent over rows... and the guy's probably 50. Unless his back is in excellent condition, I don't expect to see that joker in the gym for 6 weeks or so after that.

Comment

Got it... was just trying to visulaize everything.

Comment

Nobody likes to be told when they're wrong and everybody is always an "expert", so you made big papa mad :)

Comment

Stromba is right, when I was smaller I thought my dad was like a He-Man or something. Thats probably why the dad got mad, but fuck the dad. I would have done the same thing, given good advice. I rather see anyone doing it right and correctly then to mess themselves up. Deosnt matter the age.

I just love it on the rec center-gym when people of all ages come to me for advice and all. I ever have women asking me for advice. Asking me if I compete and stuff, that just makes me feel so so so so good.:) At times I dont even had to correct people, they just see how im working the particular muscle and then do it. If I see them doing it wrong I go over and correct them. Thats when they go "HEY THIS WORKS". Also makes me feel good becuase im only 22 of age and help people older than me, even people older than my parents. Just love putting smiles on peoples faces. If I could Im gonna open a gym here on my city, a gold or something. Nothing like that here, we got like 10 gyms but nothing too fancy except 2 of them. I would love to sell supplements too and stuff like that, open a chain of businesses. Yup yup thats me, trying to help people.

Comment

Originally posted by r_deese
                    He wasn't squatting with legs shoulder width... they were right beside each other, maybe 4 inches apart. I don't know of anyone who would suggest squats be done like that. Also w/ the back thing, that's basically what he was doing, but he was doing it on a machine made for bent over rows... and the guy's probably 50. Unless his back is in excellent condition, I don't expect to see that joker in the gym for 6 weeks or so after that.
                    Actually, there is an older guy (60's) in my gym who does compete and has won the master's a few years ago. His big thing is legs and he really does know his stuff. Anyway, he once told me that keeping your feet parrallel and 6' apart while doing squats targets the quads better. You DO need to be flat footed though and not up on the balls of your feet. I have tried it both ways and found no difference with my knees but I can't squat quite as much weight with my feet close together.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
                      Actually, there is an older guy (60's) in my gym who does compete and has won the master's a few years ago. His big thing is legs and he really does know his stuff. Anyway, he once told me that keeping your feet parrallel and 6' apart while doing squats targets the quads better. You DO need to be flat footed though and not up on the balls of your feet. I have tried it both ways and found no difference with my knees but I can't squat quite as much weight with my feet close together.
                      You are correct. This stance developes more "sweep" for the quads. A wide stance is best for power.

Comment

I manage a gym and the best thing to do is not "tell people" what is right but rather to suggest what they could be doing " a little differently" and explain in technical terms why. . .I totally undertand where you are coming from but it is ultra important how you put it across. . .especially as he had his kid there. . .no father wants to be made to look like a schmuck in front of his son. . .so unless you look like Ronnie Colman (in which case they will just do what you say regardless of what you know because you are a total freak) you have to be sure that they undertand that you do know more than they do PERIOD. As soon as he asked that question I would have been on him with " 2 years health science in university, 18 years training experience and managing a gym; not to mention I have a physique"
                        just be ready in the future to back up your advice with a good ol "I know way more than you and don't forget it answer. . .:) "

Comment

^ and if you word the advice the right way to start you won't even have to give the back up reply :D

Comment

Originally posted by canadagold
                            I manage a gym and the best thing to do is not "tell people" what is right but rather to suggest what they could be doing " a little differently" and explain in technical terms why. . .
                            i agree with that statement. just recently as i'm training my girlfriend in the gym, she's seen me workout verus other people. i'll usually point out to her what is being done wrong, but i won't go directly up to the person and embarrass them in front of everyone. on one instant just the other day, i did offer some leg advice to this girl that was watching my girl do leg presses. then the girls boyfriend came over and listened too. i never mind helping people when they ask, but i've learned to just do my own thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X