Steroidology gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by biggieswolls
    Im sorry to all who usually spend time at Steroidology and couldnt because it was down today.

I do confess, this mess could have been avoided had I been backing up the database everyday. Although it wasnt something that I even knew about (those who know me know that I am far from a computer buff), I should have asked more questions in the beginning about stuff like that. I shouldnt put the onus on my webmaster to handle everything and for that I am sorry. I guess the only good thing is that this is a good lesson that I have learned and when the site is up on the new server, we will have the site backed up everyday by our host. Although it costs more money to do this, its well worth it. So now if something similar happens, like another attack, it wont matter because we will have a backed up database and we can just import it. The problem was that we got hacked, our last backed up database was from Aug 6th so I just said fuck it and instead of having them try and re-build the database which would have taken some time, I just told them to move us to the new server where we will import the database that we have saved.

I do want to thank The Bouncer and his staff for allowing this thread, which is a little O/T, to remain in this forum so that other members can be notified of what is going on. As soon as Floris wakes up (He is in the Netherlands so the time zones are very different), he will begin to move everything to the new server and we should be up and running shortly after that. I will send out another mass email, although I really hate spamming people like that, letting them know that Steroidology is back and ready to go. It would have been up today but our host had to order in the new server and the shipment ended up getting delayed a day for some reason.

Again, sorry about this and we are working hard to make sure this never happens again.

I shouldnt put the onus on my webmaster to handle everything and for that I am sorry.
    I don't know what that means, but sounds like anus ?

Anyway :)
    Thanks to the webmaster (drums: me) I am making a backup EACH TIME I am editing the forum software or the database, just in case I screw things up, I can go back to the latest build.
    Just unfortn. for biggie I didn't work on his site for a few weeks, so the latest backup I made (and I was so nice to NOT delete it after I was done working hehe) was on the 6th of aug.

After the hosting company finally found out how to setup mysql, they were able to import the .sql backup I made successfully and I run a check/analyse and optimize/repair on the mysql database and we are awaiting MySQL to release 4.0.15 soon so the hosting provider can upgrade to avoid possible corruption. (who cares right?)

Anyway,
    The site was down a few days because of the timezone differences and because we had to make sure the backups we were making were 100% complete for all the sites hosted on the dedicated server (yes, dedicated) and secured properly. The final day we moved them over to the new server and set things up properly.

Then I took a long time to match the current database against the backup version I made the 6th of august and found about 1200 members that registered in just 3 weeks time on steroidology. (sweet) I converted the existing .sql queries to new ones and imported them into the newly database (which is the 6th of aug backup) and now the site has the old threads again and no corruption and 1200 new members are still registered (i think we lot about 15 max). The only thing that couldn't be saved were a few weeks of threads. But with such a userbase, I am sure those are returned within a weekend after the opening :)

(damn this is a big post now)

SO, two final things:
    www.steroidology.com is open again .. and those who claim it is down for good can send their money to my ass where i will whipe it :)

and, tnx bouncer for allowing biggy to defend himself on this forum against luser competitions. Way better to have a good relationship with competition and get a better mood around the internet boards like these, then some lame ranting and flaming as some have been doing.

greetings aliens,
    my name is cow, i am live on the internet, from grassfield 69

Comment

• Floris, it is still down for me :(

Comment

• Originally posted by DblDmnGd38
        Floris, it is still down for me :(
        Working for me, Chickadee. :)

Comment

• o·nus n.

1. A difficult or disagreeable responsibility or necessity; a burden or obligation.

a. A stigma.
          b. Blame.

3. The burden of proof: The onus was on the defense attorney.

Comment

• Originally posted by rubberduckyo
            Working for me, Chickadee. :)
            It keeps timing out for me :(

Comment

• Originally posted by DblDmnGd38
              It keeps timing out for me :(
              It was up last night, but I can't get in this morning. More fine-tuning I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by floris

and, tnx bouncer for allowing biggy to defend himself on this forum against luser competitions. Way better to have a good relationship with competition and get a better mood around the internet boards like these, then some lame ranting and flaming as some have been doing.
                oh i still hate most people and there sites but i kinda have a crush on biggie so thats why allow it. :D also floris, i cant seem to get into the site today.

Comment

• I can't get in if I try to link straight to the Forums page (http://www.steroidology.com/forum/index.php?s=), but if I go in through the front door (www.steroidology.com), it works just fine right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. dB
                    I can't get in if I try to link straight to the Forums page (http://www.steroidology.com/forum/index.php?s=), but if I go in through the front door (www.steroidology.com), it works just fine right now.
                    Well, off and on and off again. Guess they're having some hiccups.

Comment

• The reason that only some can get in and some cant is because right now the whole server is operating off of 128 mb of RAM. Consider that on the old server, we were operating on 512 mb of RAM. Of course, we did not want to operate on this low amount of 128 mb of RAM but our host is waiting for more RAM to come in and I have been told that it should be there today. We will then move up to 2048 mb RAM and you will all notice a much faster website as a whole and of course, the problems that we are encountering will be gone.

Our processor on this new server is twice as fast as the old one but without the proper RAM amount, the site will operate very slowly and will not allow very many users to access it at one time. Its a bitch, I know, but we should be fully operational by sometime today.

Comment

• Good luck, Biggie!!!

I popped in for a minute but got locked up so I'll wait till things are back up to speed. Patience people...it'll all be ok. :)

Comment

The reason that only some can get in and some cant is because right now the whole server is operating off of 128 mb of RAM. Consider that on the old server, we were operating on 512 mb of RAM. Of course, we did not want to operate on this low amount of 128 mb of RAM but our host is waiting for more RAM to come in and I have been told that it should be there today. We will then move up to 2048 mb RAM and you will all notice a much faster website as a whole and of course, the problems that we are encountering will be gone.

Our processor on this new server is twice as fast as the old one but without the proper RAM amount, the site will operate very slowly and will not allow very many users to access it at one time. Its a bitch, I know, but we should be fully operational by sometime today.
                          Thanks for the heads-up, guy, and for all the effort!

Comment

• this fucking sucks i'm getting depressed

dave youre fat

Comment

We will then move up to 2048 mb RAM and you will all notice a much faster website as a whole
                              It's gonna be Steroidology's first cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
                                oh i still hate most people and there sites but i kinda have a crush on biggie so thats why allow it. :D also floris, i cant seem to get into the site today.
                                Isn't he a little young for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X