Body fat %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timber
    I use a Tantra Scale to do my body fat and it can change as much as 2% over the day, I am typically around 9% most of the time but my best measurements are usually at the end of the day when my body weight is the highest. I am sure that is because of the calculation. I always seem to have my abs though But I have never had deep cut and separation. The best results I have had for dropping body fat was to not eat 3 hours before I go to sleep for the night. I never eat dinner anymore except on the weekend as my wife and I do enjoy going out but I still try not to sleep before my 3 hour limit.
    those are actually the least accurate of all. you level of hydration will GREATLY affect the reading. it is impossible to have a 2% fluctuation in bodyfat in a 24 hour period. take your measurement in the morning, then drink a ton of salty fluids throughout the day and you will probably throw that thing out the window when you measure yourself that night. they are worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by goliath
      those are actually the least accurate of all. you level of hydration will GREATLY affect the reading. it is impossible to have a 2% fluctuation in bodyfat in a 24 hour period. take your measurement in the morning, then drink a ton of salty fluids throughout the day and you will probably throw that thing out the window when you measure yourself that night. they are worthless...
      There is not a single way to measure body fat that is accurate. The all rely on a calculation and average of different measurements. What matters is you do it the same way all the time. My measurements are very consistent and my body definition appears to be inline with my measurements.. To say it is junk is simply not true, It is no more junk than a caliper that relies on separate measurements averaged together and then calculated with height and weight. Even hydro measurements are not accurate. they are the most accurate but it simply doesn't matter how you measure. The only reason your doing it is to give you a reference to work with.

Comment

There is not a single way to measure body fat that is accurate. The all rely on a calculation and average of different measurements. What matters is you do it the same way all the time. My measurements are very consistent and my body definition appears to be inline with my measurements.. To say it is junk is simply not true, It is no more junk than a caliper that relies on separate measurements averaged together and then calculated with height and weight. Even hydro measurements are not accurate. they are the most accurate but it simply doesn't matter how you measure. The only reason your doing it is to give you a reference to work with.
        they can be off by 10% or more! you said yourself that it's off by more than 2% every day! the caliper method is at least the same measurement 24 hours later. that is an acurate gage regardless if it is 3% off from the actual percentage. not 8% in the am and 14% in the pm. but hey...if that is an acceptable 'reference' point then knock yourself out. they are trash imo. my bf was measured at 8% with calipers yesterday, and guess what, if i measured it again right now - it would still be at 8%.

Comment

See, if everyone would read my retort on this matter, and agreed, this wouldn't escalate..

Remember, the mirror shows us how we've changed, and what we missed.. ;) :agree:

Comment

Originally posted by bigpetefox
            Remember, the mirror shows us how we've changed, and what we missed.. ;) :agree:
            So does the button on my jean shorts.

You guys have no idea how frustrating it is to gain monthly bloat of 5+ lbs in 2 days. One day your pants fit comfy, then 2 days later you can hardly button them. Grrrrrrrrrrr! Damn shit happens every month too...worse on cycle for me...10 lbs last month. I felt like a stuffed saussage. LOL

Comment

Sausigge?

try Water Shed by Absolute Nutrition... My girlfriend uses it when the Red Army stops by, bloat-free and happy.. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bigpetefox
                See, if everyone would read my retort on this matter, and agreed, this wouldn't escalate..

This is so true, all I care about is if you can see my abs and how I look on the beach. Body fat % is rather un important.

Comment

This is so true, all I care about is if you can see my abs and how I look on the beach. Body fat % is rather un important.
                  True btu I still like to keep up with my progress. Plus it is a little competitive which helps too. BTW would you mid explaining the tantra scale(forgive my ignorance).

Comment

It is actually Tanita, It is the brand name but it is the most popular so they get kind of lumped together under one name. Basically it is similar to a bathroom scale but much more advanced. What it does is analyze body composition based on a persons height, weight and the speed that a low level electrical signal passes through the muscle and fat in a persons body. You have to have one with an athlete mode because they a calibrated different. They can get pricey depending on how many people you want to use it or how much information you want it to save and store. The one I have gives me a calorie reading to consume to maintain the body fat% it read so you have an idea weather to increase or lower your calorie intake. But price is based on features. If you need one over 300 pound reading they go way up in price. This 1st link is the one I own and I am very pleased with it

http://www.nrindustries.com/BF-559.html

This is the website I bought it at and I do recommend them in the respect that I was pleased with the entire experience and the shipping was free, You have to buy them mail order because they are not usually in stores with the Athlete mode although every store will order you one if you want. The bottom line is this was the result of my research into finding one. It is a mater of convenience for me and the measurements are consistent with my composition. I can not be bothered with calipers and its a 2 man operation and I have my own gym so I’m a 1 man show, calipers are only as accurate as the person taking the measurements and I have nobody that I can work with that I would trust for that.

http://www.nrindustries.com/scls2.html

I hope this helps, body fat % can make you mental if you obsess about it. It is near imposable to stay at 3% to 7% for any length of time without starving to death or running your body into the ground so be realistic in the off season. you will never stay at 3% for more than 2 months if you can even get there and if you try you will either get sick or you will begin to consume muscle tissue and then get sick

Last edited by Timber; 09-19-03, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X