Mate debate: Is monogamy realistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay. here is how i see it.

humans are one of the select few species that can experience emotions. whether we want to believe it or not, our emotions drive us to do what we want. however, social stigmas also instill the emotion of guilt if we do what we feel. whoever made monogamy the way to go obviously did so because he/she couldn't get more than 1 set of eyes on him/her.

if we all had our ways, we would probably be sleeping around. here lays another issue.

if we were sleeping around with everyone, women would be popping out kids. those kids would carry on and do the same thing. i think the idea of monogamy is to make sure there isn't a sort of "in-breeding" going on, limiting genetic defects and hereditary diseases. so being monogamous limits the likelihood of spreading such defects/diseases by knowing which pair of humans are responsible for a life and what defects/diseases their offspring has. knowing this will probably make unaffected humans shy away from mating with them, thus perpetuating a healthier race. a sort of "survival of the fittest" deal.

Comment

I think that goes back to, are you the person you are because of the "rules" or are you the person you are because; that's the person you are? If you become irresponsible and wreckless because the "rules" change, then who are you really?

Comment

Look at it from the flip side, you and your wife can fuck anyone anytime, would that make you happy and if so would you still want to be married if you lived that way?

And if she don't want to play around do you think it would be fair to her if you did?

Comment

So the only reason to get married is to commit sexualy to one person? My marriage is a LOT more than that. Which applies to your second question too. Not having sex with other people wouldn't destroy my marriage since it is based on so much more than sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
            So the only reason to get married is to commit sexualy to one person? My marriage is a LOT more than that. Which applies to your second question too. Not having sex with other people wouldn't destroy my marriage since it is based on so much more than sex.
            Shibster for goodness sake man, you like teflon or a slippery eal, answer the darn question how it was put:thumup:. I'll demonstrate you asked me a question above, so I will answer it as follows;

No sex isn't the only reason to get married

Comment

slippery eal :rofl: - if sex isn't the only reason to get married (thank god) what is it that drives society to go for vows ? I know my old boss @ vitamin world was happily unmarried to the same lady for 20 sum years.

Comment

I did answer the question.

Mr. I - If you had an open marriage would you still want to be married?

Shibby - If I had an open marriage why wouldn't I want to be married?

Comment

Working...
                X