No announcement yet.

American veterans are half as likely to live in big cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to say that the bulk of the military is made up of poor people?

Seems to me that if you have money and or a higher IQ you are usually in the military as an officer.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
        Is it safe to say that the bulk of the military is made up of poor people?

Seems to me that if you have money and or a higher IQ you are usually in the military as an officer.
        Yes. Means to an end for most. Whether that be a career or college funding.

I wouldn't go as far as correlating officers with higher IQ. That's opportunity as well. Go to college, come in on officer program. Or the longer harder way, come in as enlisted and enter officer program.

Comment

It is unfortunate that more "educated" college grads as well as those with advanced degrees don't go into the military. It is in fact a great failing of the military that they have not been able (or not tried hard enough) to attract these kinds of individuals.

Capt. Nate Fick, USMC (author of One Bullet Away) maeks the case eloquently that the military should mirror society in its diversity. By doing this, we will go to ware less often and more committed to winning quickly and decisively when we do.

This guy needs to run for President. He will have my vote.

It's only a 7.5 minute clip, watch it. It's great!

Nathaniel Fick on Service, the Military, and the Common Good - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
            That's not a matter of individual IQ. That's a matter of opportunity.
            Take two groups

group one high iq

group two low iq

which is more likely to join military vs other carear and risk death for a pittance

Comment

That is precisely the problem that Nate Fick talks about.

We NEED to inject a wide spectrum of society to participate in the military. Once we do that, once we have blue collar and white collar America invested in the military, then everyone will be more engaged in how it is used. Right now, it is really easy to send our boys off to die in distant lands when its academics calling the shots and a bunch of poor kids from the south, often minorities, who are doing the dying. If all of society is represented in the military and military service is viewed as public service, then I bet we will be a LOT more deliberate about getting engaged in random fights around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                That is precisely the problem that Nate Fick talks about.

We NEED to inject a wide spectrum of society to participate in the military. Once we do that, once we have blue collar and white collar America invested in the military, then everyone will be more engaged in how it is used. Right now, it is really easy to send our boys off to die in distant lands when its academics calling the shots and a bunch of poor kids from the south, often minorities, who are doing the dying. If all of society is represented in the military and military service is viewed as public service, then I bet we will be a LOT more deliberate about getting engaged in random fights around the world.
                Haven't watched the video....

What gets us to that end goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post

What gets us to that end goal?
                  I think that's obvious. You offer the kinds of incentives that will pull a certain type of person in. I don't know about you but I believe smart people deserve a salary that is worth their value. The old days of giving someone a bunch of decorations on a jacket is not enough. Symbolism and Patriotism isn't worth a fuck if you have a hard time paying your bills.

Brilliant people aren't easily enticed by patriotism and commercials showing how "neat and fun" the military is.

With all that said, by no means do I mean to sound disrespectful of the men and women that serve. They are absolutely essential and they help provide the safety and freedom I have to sit here and type these very words.

Comment

Agree

Comment

Working...
                    X