Decided on my next dog and it's name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided on my next dog and it's name.

I'm enjoying my Boxer boy for as long as he is around but he's almost 12 and boxer lifespan is average 10 years so I gotta be realistic. If he sticks around for another 30 years that would be fine with me! Whenever he does go though I have my next pup picked out.

Gonna be a British Bulldog named Winston.

Awsome

Question, are their certain dogs that are too big for you like a bull mastiff, boerbell etc or too potentially powerful like pit bull?

Comment

I would say no with a BUT.

I was raised with Rottweilers and I've owned French Mastiff (130lbs). Big dogs have a certain personality that I just love. That said, they die young and they generally have hip/knee/cancer problems early on.

My mom's 6 year old Rottweiler died last week. I've had 2 French Mastiff's die one as a puppy and one at 7 years old. Meanwhile my Boxer (70lbs 12 years old in Jan) has been flawless and healthy.

I want a dog that has a life span well above 6-7 years. I want a dog that can jump in the car easily and go anywhere. I don't want to worry that every time my dog jumps out of the car he is going to blow out his knee.

In my experience dogs in the 75lb range have far less health issues then dogs in the 100lbs+ range.

Comment

Gotcha

So why never a pit bull?

Comment

While I respect the breed and think they are very impressive I find that usually the owner is trying to project his or her "power" through there dog. This is obviously not the case with all owners.

I guess I don't want to be "that guy with the pitbull" if that makes any sense.

Comment

Makes alot of sense!

Comment

Somehow, you don't seem like a bulldog guy. I don't know why but every bulldog I have seen have looked upset that they have been woken up from their nap. Not sure whether the owners over feed them or what, but they genuinely don't look very active.

Comment

No no no scrum, all wrong.

https://youtu.be/R8XAlSp838Y

Comment

I love pitbulls. If we ever get a dog, once we move out of this damn apartment, i want a pit. Has nothing to do with projecting power...they are just excellent family dogs. My one buddy has two female pits, and they are just absolute sweethearts. Perfect medium size, shorthair, decent lifespan...good breed imo

Comment

Plenty of great family dogs that are sweethearts. Not just pits.

Comment

For sure. I just really like them i guess...for me perfect size, not long hair or big shedders...like their face and proportions plus not slobbery ass droolers.lol

Comment

I've had two bulldogs. They hate the heat and have breathing problems. My one used to just stop and randomly faint.

Comment

Love those noisy, stinky, slobbering little fuckers. But not a dog for me. Too many health issues and can't deal with the loud snorting and breathing issues. Good loyal and playful breed though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                            I love pitbulls. If we ever get a dog, once we move out of this damn apartment, i want a pit. Has nothing to do with projecting power...they are just excellent family dogs. My one buddy has two female pits, and they are just absolute sweethearts. Perfect medium size, shorthair, decent lifespan...good breed imo

I've had a couple and they have been excellent dogs. We got a puppy when my son was a few months old, and he just recently passed away at age 11. My son literally grew up with him. It was awesome (a boy and his dog), and so sad to see it end. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                              I've had two bulldogs. They hate the heat and have breathing problems. My one used to just stop and randomly faint.
                              Hmmm, I'll have to look into that more then. This area I'm in now is HOT.

Comment

Working...
                              X