No announcement yet.

Interesting Facts, Thoughts, and Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“The amount of energy needed to refute bullsh*t is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.”

In law, the reason the burden of proof lies with the prosecution is that it’s often impossible to prove something didn’t happen. Outside of the courtroom the opposite rule prevails, and the commentator is allowed to give an opinion but the critic must debunk him with evidence.

Comment

What portion of Americans killed in vehicle crashes are not wearing seatbelts?

I was stunned by the answer when I saw it yesterday. It has hovered between 48 percent and 51 percent in each of the past five years.

For many people, a seatbelt has become second nature. They can’t imagine traveling without one — or even allowing someone riding in their car to do so. But lack of seatbelt use remains a major public-health problem in this country. About 15 percent of American drivers don’t wear one, compared with less than 5 percent in several European countries.

Comment

Uber has figured out a way to isolate the lords (4,000 employees) from the serfs (2 million drivers), who average $7.75/hour, so its 4,000 employees can carve up $70 billion vs $2 million on an hourly wage. Uber has said to the global workforce, in hushed but clear tones: ‘Thanks, and fuck you.

Comment

When Ed Thorp started college in 1950, tuition was $70 per year. That's $730 in today's dollars. But tuition at UC Berkeley isn't $730, or anywhere close to it. At $13,485 a year, the cost of education is up more than 19,000% since Thorp walked through those doors. If this 8% annual growth rate were to continue, by the time my son goes to college, tuition would be $54,000 a year, before room and board and books and supplies.

Professor Galloway spoke about the soaring costs of a college education: I teach 120 kids on Tuesday nights in my Brand Strategy course. That's $720,000, or $60,000 per class, in tuition payments, a lot of it financed with debt. I'm good at what I do, but walking in each night, I remind myself we (NYU) are charging kids $500/minute for me and a projector. This. Is. Fucking. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
            When Ed Thorp started college in 1950, tuition was $70 per year. That's $730 in today's dollars. But tuition at UC Berkeley isn't $730, or anywhere close to it. At $13,485 a year, the cost of education is up more than 19,000% since Thorp walked through those doors. If this 8% annual growth rate were to continue, by the time my son goes to college, tuition would be $54,000 a year, before room and board and books and supplies.

Professor Galloway spoke about the soaring costs of a college education: I teach 120 kids on Tuesday nights in my Brand Strategy course. That's $720,000, or $60,000 per class, in tuition payments, a lot of it financed with debt. I'm good at what I do, but walking in each night, I remind myself we (NYU) are charging kids $500/minute for me and a projector. This. Is. Fucking. Ridiculous.
            bump this. this is the sort of thing that has weighed heavy on american "greatness". to "make america great again" THIS is this sort of thing that needs to be fixed immediately. a great education used to be cheap. that enabled the masses to be great. now the masses are priced out of an education which leads to the opposite of greatness. end rant.

Comment

if you reach for a star, you might not get one. But you wont come up with a hand full of mud either.

Leo Burnett

Comment

Dining:

-----
                In 2020, more than half of restaurant spending is projected to be off premise aka not inside a restaurant. In other words, spending on deliveries, drive-throughs, and takeaway meals will soon overtake dining inside restaurants, for the first time on record. According to the investment group Cowen and Company, off-premise spending will account for as much as 80 percent of industry growth in the next five years.

Comment

bump this. this is the sort of thing that has weighed heavy on american "greatness". to "make america great again" THIS is this sort of thing that needs to be fixed immediately. a great education used to be cheap. that enabled the masses to be great. now the masses are priced out of an education which leads to the opposite of greatness. end rant.
                  Yeah and after you graduate, your college has the audacity to send you alumni letters asking for donations! Get bent!

Comment

WOW

Comment

In 2017, Toronto created more new technology jobs than Silicon Valley, Seattle, New York and Washington, DC, combined.

Comment

The study demonstrated that about half of individuals will come to believe a fictional event occurred if they are told about that event and then repeatedly imagine it happening.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/half-of...ever-happened/

Comment

Everybody’s got a story, everybody wants to tell it, but too few people have the patience to extract it from them. If you listen to someone’s story, they’ll be your best friend forever. You’ll bond. Everybody’s got something to say, something you find of interest, everybody got here on a different path with moments of intersection. But beware of the taker, the person who only talks and never listens. They’re to be avoided at all cost. I’m not sure why these people act the way they do, why they refuse to be reciprocal, why they’re incapable of being interested in you. It’s to their detriment.

Comment

Another Fun Fact about that: Her marriage to the king was never officially announced or admitted, and thus she was never considered Queen Consort of France.

Comment

"Ignorance is always correctable. But what shall we do if we take ignorance to be knowledge?”

Americans no longer talk to each other, they entertain each other. They do not exchange ideas, they exchange images. They do not argue with propositions; they argue with good looks, celebrities and commercials.

I do not mean to imply that television news deliberately aims to deprive Americans of a coherent, contextual understanding of their world. I mean to say that when news is packaged as entertainment, that is the inevitable result. And in saying that the television news show entertains but does not inform, I am saying something far more serious than that we are being deprived of authentic information. I am saying we are losing our sense of what it means to be well informed.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/201...es-in-the-air/

Comment

College Education By Gender.

Comment

Working...
                                X