Teeth Whitening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBAddict
    I know that's the general position of professional dentists, but dental research scientists (I have seen and read presentations at the AADR and IADR conferences) have proven through many studies that ALL of the whitening products damage the enamel through demineralization.

99% of dentists do not, unfortunately, really understand the materials science that is behind the mechanics of teeth. That is the reason they do not understand the danger in recommending this. I can provide references if you want to read about it.

I always like to learn more. This is something i do once in a while, and i would like to see any recent research on the subject.

Comment

Here's two results from research. The results are rather varied because of poor experimental techniques that are common among dentists. Incorrect measurement techniques are also employed for some measurements. They are using tools that measure the mechanical properties many microns into the teeth where the biggest damage is surface damage, which many techniques are insensitive to. Nanoindentation (the second study) is the most surface sensitive technique and provides the most reliable measurement of the changes imposed by the whitening process.
      Basically, the whitening process is an oxidation that creates pores or enlarges existing pores in the enamel surface. This creates "homes" for bacteria that further weaken the enamel. The greatest damage occurs in unknown cavities, which provide access to the dentin. Any stinging sensation during the treatment may be indicative that the cleaning agent is reaching the dentin. This damage is irreversible and is greatly weaking the interior of the teeth.

In vitro action of various carbamide peroxide gel bleaching agents on the microhardness of human enamel.
      Pinheiro Junior EC, Fidel RA, da Cruz Filho AM, Silva RG, Pecora JD.
      Disciplina de Endodontia, Faculdade de Odontologia, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.

The authors verified a decrease in human enamel microhardness after application of the following carbamide peroxide gel bleaching agents for 8 hours daily for 1 week: 10% Nite White, 16% Nite White, Opalescence, Karisma Alpha and Perfect Smile. Statistical analysis showed that these agents caused a decrease in enamel microhardness. Nite White (16%) was the most effective in reducing enamel microhardness and Opalescente the least effective. Nite White (10%), Karisma Alpha and Perfect Smile fell into a statistically intermediate position.

NANOINDENTATION STUDY OF BLEACHING EFFECTS ON TEETH
      B.R Hairul Nizam1, C.T.Lim2,3,4 *, H.K. Chng5, A.U.J. Yap5
      Effect of 30% hydogen peroxide (bleaching agent)
      1) Significant decrease in hardness (29%-50%) and Young’s modulus (20%-43%) for intertubular dentin.
      2) Significant decrease in hardness (14%-28%) and Young’s modulus (18%-32%) for ename.l
      References:
      1. B.R. Hairul Nizam, C. T. Lim, H. K. Chng and A. U. J. Yap. Nanoindentation study of human premolar subjected to bleaching agent. Journal of Biomechanics, 2004. (in press)
      2. Chng, H K, H N Ramli, A U J Yap and C T Lim, Effect of hydrogen peroxide on intertubular dentine. Journal of Dentistry, 2004. (in press)

I'll live with my natural colored teeth--I don't need Hollywood white!!

Comment

Has anyone used these kits? http://www.universalkits.com/Cosmetics.htm? It's 22% concentrate will that be strong enough? The price is unbeatable!

Comment

anyone ever try the laser whitening offered by dentists?

Comment

You may start by brushing your teeth, it's really the most conventional method and it works too.

Comment

Last edited by GearTripper; 08-19-09, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Who cares about fractures? White teeth are the ultimate way to make your muscles look even bigger than they are without deception, as Dorian Yates said, and I'm sure he knows!

Comment

Working...
                X