Heart health - best ways to actually see what’s going on inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart health - best ways to actually see what’s going on inside

So over the years we have posted about what we see the risks are associated with our lifestyle and what measures we take such as supplements and diet etc.

at age 43 I have never had any issues that I know of but I have had cholesterol profiled alongside blood pressure and resting hears rate checks.

lately I’ve seen a number of freinds in their mid to late 40s suffering an event of some sort and needing stents out in to mitigate blocker arteries.

what people are saying is that those headline measures as above and even more invasive checks normally performed don’t tell the full story.

even a dye based angiogram will only show a flow issue on the screen if the artery is blocked/occluded by circa 75%.

but it only takes a 50% blockage for a plaque break off to clot and fully block in that case, which, in the case of the left artery would usually be fatal.

There is something called a CR calcium score that provides a very accurate reading. Moreover, if it results in a score of 300 or over you could be heading for an event.

In that case you would be advised to see your doc who may suggest either a stent or at least statins.

in the next month or so I am planning to self refer and pay privately for this procedure on a risk aversion basis so that if I find I have an issue I would rather know now so that I can take preventative measures.

does anyone have any experience with this?

cant help with specific question but the hot new thing in the US in heart health is VASCEPA. at first glance you might think its just expensive fish oil. false. it's the only pure EPA in the world. all other fish oil is mixed with dha which basically renders the EPA all but worthless for heart health. VASCEPA has been shown to cut your risk of an event by 25%.. look into it bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
      So over the years we have posted about what we see the risks are associated with our lifestyle and what measures we take such as supplements and diet etc.

at age 43 I have never had any issues that I know of but I have had cholesterol profiled alongside blood pressure and resting hears rate checks.

lately I’ve seen a number of freinds in their mid to late 40s suffering an event of some sort and needing stents out in to mitigate blocker arteries.

what people are saying is that those headline measures as above and even more invasive checks normally performed don’t tell the full story.

even a dye based angiogram will only show a flow issue on the screen if the artery is blocked/occluded by circa 75%.

but it only takes a 50% blockage for a plaque break off to clot and fully block in that case, which, in the case of the left artery would usually be fatal.

There is something called a CR calcium score that provides a very accurate reading. Moreover, if it results in a score of 300 or over you could be heading for an event.

In that case you would be advised to see your doc who may suggest either a stent or at least statins.

in the next month or so I am planning to self refer and pay privately for this procedure on a risk aversion basis so that if I find I have an issue I would rather know now so that I can take preventative measures.

does anyone have any experience with this?
      I had a calcium score done about 2 years ago. It came back as a zero score. I'm 42 in september. Strong family history of heart disease. Dad had his first heart attack at 48.
      Was relieved by the results but the nurse there made a comment about it not being 100% accurate. She said it only picks up soft plague?? can't remember exactly what she said. Since then I have had a stress test for the heart and that also came back with good results. I plan on having another Calcium score done at 45.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post

I had a calcium score done about 2 years ago. It came back as a zero score. I'm 42 in september. Strong family history of heart disease. Dad had his first heart attack at 48.
        Was relieved by the results but the nurse there made a comment about it not being 100% accurate. She said it only picks up soft plague?? can't remember exactly what she said. Since then I have had a stress test for the heart and that also came back with good results. I plan on having another Calcium score done at 45.
        ask doc about off label use of Vacepa. i'm not an expert but I know a doctor that won't shut the hell up about this stuff. dude is one of those mild mannered types that never get excited about anything but with this stuff he's over the moon. he told me he'd put everyone over 50 on it. the pure EPA doesn't raise bad cholesterol like normal fish oil tends to. he's on it and he's got his father on it and they don't even have a history of heart issues. he says it's approved for very specific cases for people with very high triglycerides but the off label use is what gets him so excited. the reports of general heart health improvement for everyone put on this stuff is very promising.

you know me, i used to be that guy that said "just use fish oil". well if you actually read the studies on Vascepa vs Fish Oil the 2 have almost nothing in common in terms of proven results. i sound like I work for the company or some shit. lolz

Comment

Good for you, a lot of people don’t have the balls to find out. But it’s a win win, if the score shows you need meds to help you’ll then go get them. The alternative is you don’t find out you have a problem till it’s too late.

the scan takes seconds abd it shows any build up in the four arteries to the heart, the most important of which is the left main.

Comment

Good for you, a lot of people don’t have the balls to find out. But it’s a win win, if the score shows you need meds to help you’ll then go get them. The alternative is you don’t find out you have a problem till it’s too late.

the scan takes seconds abd it shows any build up in the four arteries to the heart, the most important of which is the left main.
            I think most of us will get blockages at some stage and as you say, better to find out sooner than later so you can fix it.

Comment

as i was saying...

Date: March 25, 2020

Source: University of California - Irvine

"Researchers from the University of California, Irvine have conducted a statistical analysis that predicts more than 70,000 heart attacks, strokes and other adverse cardiovascular events could be prevented each year in the U.S. through the use of a highly purified fish oil therapy.

The only drug of its kind to show such an effect, icosapent ethyl, is currently marketed under the name Vascepa® by Amarin Pharma."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0325131536.htm

----------------------------------

just to be clear. normal fish oil WILL not work. Vascepa is pure EPA. when you mix DHA and EPA like all other forms of fish oil the health effects are removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Wilson
                Thanks for this great share!
                Heart disease can cause disability and death if left uncontrolled or risk factors are ignored. Some risk factors can be controlled by people but for others. You need to watch the cholesterol and triglycerides in your arteries. Keep a tab over your weight would keep you free from heart ailments. Keep it up bro!
                There are plenty of skinny people who have heart attacks!

Comment

There are plenty of skinny people who have heart attacks!
                  i'd bet that the majority of heart attacks under 50 years old are in the obese. any stats we can look at?

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

i'd bet that the majority of heart attacks under 50 years old are in the obese. any stats we can look at?
                    I wouldn't argue that point, but to say "Keep a tab over your weight would keep you free from heart ailments" is not entirely true. There are also genetic factors. Just because you are not overweight does not mean you can't suffer heart disease.

Comment

Hey everyone, so just by way of update I got my heart scan results on Friday.

well, I’m short, much to my surprise, the total Agatston CT calcium score was 0, yes ZERO.

To be clear, this means that no calcium/plaque was present in any of my main arteries that were scanned.

So at 43 years old and having used steroids for 30 years that’s the apparent effect on my heart. To be clear my cholesterol, heart rate, and blood pressure are all normal range.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think most of us will get blockages at some stage and as you say, better to find out sooner than later so you can fix it.
                        And that was my thought process, face the mirror now while I have time to address any issues.

Comment

So we both got a Zero.

Comment

Hey everyone, so just by way of update I got my heart scan results on Friday.

well, I’m short, much to my surprise, the total Agatston CT calcium score was 0, yes ZERO.

To be clear, this means that no calcium/plaque was present in any of my main arteries that were scanned.

So at 43 years old and having used steroids for 30 years that’s the apparent effect on my heart. To be clear my cholesterol, heart rate, and blood pressure are all normal range.
                            sounds great bro. i don't think steroids have very many negative health effects as long as they are used in dosages that are reasonable.

obviously pro level doses are not reasonable at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

sounds great bro. i don't think steroids have very many negative health effects as long as they are used in dosages that are reasonable.

obviously pro level doses are not reasonable at all.
                              I put this thread up because I didn’t know what the result was going to be. But whatever the result was it’s a win win proactive action. If it indicated a need to take medicine then I would have, or even an intervention. You see saving the heart from trauma is the main goal. Hopefully it encourages others to do the same so that we can continue to live this lifestyle

Comment

Working...
                              X