No announcement yet.

Brown Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy those packages of powdered gravy. You mix in water and microwave the gravy just before the rice is done cooking. Drain the rice and then pour the gravy over the rice. There are various flavors of gravy.

Comment

I've tried a few different things and just vary them so it doesn't get old eating the same thing. One of my favorites it to add a little cellery seed. You can add other spices like granulated garlic, dried onion flakes, oregano, whatever seasonings you like. I like to cook mine for a long time too. You can also use some chicken or beef stock in place of some of the water (not bullion because of the sodium). Rice is a great thing to experiment with using seasonings because if you don't like it and have to toss it, it's cheap.

I also like to use brown rice to make Chinese fried rice. Using a non stick pan I'll sautee some chopped onions and whatever other veggies I feel like adding and a little chopped garlic, then scoop it to the side and scramble some egg whites, push that to the side and get the pan as hot as possible, hit it with pam and drop cold brown rice in and just let it sit there to brown a bit, then mix everything together, including some pre-cooked chopped up chicken and sprinkle just a little soy sauce and let it heat again without touching it so it browns up a little more. It's a good meal and it can just use up leftovers.

Comment

Stop boiling your brown rice in water for one. Replace the water with vegatable or chicken stock. Not broth, but stock. Cook it accordingly. Now when it is done, throw on some green onions, sesame seeds and soy sauce. They should help your taste buds come to life when eating so a disgusting grain.

Sometimes to mix things up, leave out the hot sauce and add in Sambal or srarchi, look them up on the internet and buy a bottle of or two. It helps rice go along way.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddles
          I've tried a few different things and just vary them so it doesn't get old eating the same thing. One of my favorites it to add a little cellery seed. You can add other spices like granulated garlic, dried onion flakes, oregano, whatever seasonings you like. I like to cook mine for a long time too. You can also use some chicken or beef stock in place of some of the water (not bullion because of the sodium). Rice is a great thing to experiment with using seasonings because if you don't like it and have to toss it, it's cheap.
          Sounds good Puddles, only thing is if I do that then I'm going to have to make it the night before instead of throwing it in the microwave at work...thanks!

Comment

screwup hit submit twice

Comment

Here is something else I like to do.

Offseason:

1 tbsp butter
              2 cups of rice
              4 garlic cloves minced
              1/2 cup of onion

I saute' that over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the rice smells nutty. So then when you consider the serving that is not much fat even though your using butter. This should make 4 cups of cooked rice kids.

IN the meanwhile I heat up 4 cups of chicken or vegatable stock. over medium heat. Only to get it warm, it shouldn't be boiling.

I preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

So when the sauteing is done I pour the hot stock mixture in. It will sizzle. Then cover it with the lid and place it in the oven for 20 minutes. Dont not touch it after 1 minute when its done. Then fluff with a fork. This should give you 4 cups of cooked rice.

The reason I recommend this type of cooking for your rice is because the oven set a the degrees its sat is gives the pot all around cooking, so therefore no need for a rice cooker. The heat is penetrating from all angles. Not from the eye of the stove. Makes sense huh? Plus most ranges are different (gas or electric) can vary completely. So when you "simmer" your rice over a low or whatever, it may or may not be cooking your rice your best. So therefore baking it in the oven makes the most sense. Therefore I cook my rice like that everytime and mine tastes better than anything you could ever imagine.

If you wanted to do this for dieting purposes, simply do the same thing but use nonstick spray to saute' your rice, garlic, and onions. Then pour in your hot liquid to finish it off. If you want to cook more rice at one time which reduces your time in the kitchen (rice keeps up to a week or so in the fridge) then dbl your recipe.

Also using the method I mentioned above keeps you from buyiing a rice cooker.

That recipe is just a base. Please feel free to add any spices to it. But do it during its early stages of cooking. Things like garlic powder, onion powder or things like that work best.

I prefer to order all of my spices from www.spicehouse.com, everything is 10 times better and fresher there then any spice you'll find in the grocery store.
              Fresher spices really make a difference.
              Last edited by cockdiesel; 09-18-04, 12:41 AM.

Comment

you should just grow up chinese.

give me a bowl of rice of any sort straight from the rice cooker unflavored and i'm happy.

the smell of rice steaming from the rice cooker - yum yum.

Comment

Actually Sana if I am in need for rice and want some in a hurry and dont feel like cooking it, i stop in at a chinese place and buy up a qt or two.

Comment

Originally posted by cockdiesel
                    Here is something else I like to do.

I prefer to order all of my spices from www.spicehouse.com, everything is 10 times better and fresher there then any spice you'll find in the grocery store.
                    Fresher spices really make a difference.
                    SO has anyone ordered anything from this "Spice House"

I think he meant http://www.thespicehouse.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X