My Diet/Routine..need some help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Diet/Routine..need some help guys

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem and I'm trying to figure out if it's my diet or routine. I've been trying to clean bulk since December. After the first month and a half I put on a good 4-5 lbs..but ever since then I've dropped that weight and stayed the same with no gain at all but my strength has gone up quite a bit though. My goals are like most here...just be as big as I can get. Stats are 5"8 182lbs 25yr old.

Here's my current diet, It's roughly 4500 calories.

7:00 1 cup oatmeal
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 scoops whey
    1 cup skim milk

9:00 6 egg whites
    1 banana

11:00 7 oz chicken breast
    2 cups brocoli

1:00 2 natty pb and j sandwhichs
    on 100% whole wheat

3:00 7 oz chicken breast
    2 cups brocoli

5:00 opt. nutrition mrp 2scoops

6;30 10 oz chicaken breats
    2 cups brown rice

8:30 pwo shake malto/dext mix

10:00 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup oats

As for my routine

Mon.
    3 sets/10/8/6

Chest/Tri's
    Incline Bench/Skull Crushers/Decline DB/Pulldowns/Machine Flies

Wed.

Back and Bi's
    Deads/21's/BB shrugs/DB Rows/H.Curls/Rev.Curls/Pullups

Sat.
    Shoulders/Legs
    Shoulder press/Squats/Side Raises/Arnolds/Calf Raises/Ham Ext./Leg Ext.

I mix abs in a coupletimes a week also.

As for cardio 3 days, 10-20 minutes. I haven't really changed my routine at all since December so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. I'm open for suggestions, let me know what you guys think.

Originally posted by rado
    DO you want to train for strength or size...Sorry, but I'm getting lazy now:)

training for size

Comment

I did a test only cycle about 6-7 months ago.I'm planning on a test e/ deca cycle but not for a while I wanna bulk for most of the year.

Comment

I'm trying to get up to 200lbs beore i start my cycle i got up there during my last one, but kinda fell off afterwards cause of some family bs. So this time I'm not messing around.

Comment

Bulk clean and slow bro, if you do it too fast, you're going to gain more fat/water.

Control has a good scheme for weights. I've read his posts and find them quite informative. I train for strength bro, So I really can't help you out or where to steer you. I've always trained this way since I was a kid. I do add bulk to my frame, but I keep my sets to 3 each at 8-6-4 reps with 3mins of rest in between a set.

I also stick with the old school workout; weighted dips, box squats, weighted pull ups, military press, and so on. I keep body groups by themselves; Arms, legs, back, chest and shoulders all by themselves. I alternate every week my routine.

One week I do free weights and the other I do cables. I train 3 days on with 1 day off one week and 2 days on 2 days off the following and so on....
          Yeah I'll have to reread controls' threads, i'm just still wondering though why I'm not gaining.

Comment

It's harder to gain all natural and takes time...Since I've been off these past 2yrs, I've gained about 8-9lbs of lean mass...Not that I was trying to gain(mostly maintain), but it came slowly...I weighed myself on Sunday and I'm at 197lbs(I'm very pleased right now).
            True, I got to stop using the scale so much. Normally i just go by the mirror, but since I up'd my cal intake I developed a habit of hoping on the scale everytime I'm near it.

Comment

4500 cals seems a lot to bulk with at 182. I thought I'd need 5000, but I'm growing at 4200...and 500 mgs of test e

your diet looks ok, what Rado said, basically, but I'd add carbs to every meal. I'd cut the cardio to 2 20-min sessions a week, no more. Try 12-to-15 reps for your exercises

and talk to Control, bulking is his thing

Comment

Originally posted by meat12
                7:00 1 cup oatmeal
                1 teaspoon honey
                2 scoops whey
                1 cup skim milk

This is where your eggs should be...

9 eggs whites, 1-2 whole eggs, 1 cup of oatmeal or rice, drop milk altogether (I didn't think I could survive without milk but nowadays I am doing just fine w/o)

9:00 6 egg whites
                1 banana

Whole foods here...

Either more eggs (a good time for hard boiled mixed with rice - think stir-fry style) or chicken, lean meats etc with rice/oats/sweet potatoe

11:00 7 oz chicken breast
                2 cups brocoli

Bump your meat to 10-12 ounces and add rice/oats/potatoes

(p.s. I love just throwing everything in one bowl and adding some Iron Chef and nuking it for 1-2 minutes - quick and easy)

1:00 2 natty pb and j sandwhichs
                on 100% whole wheat

Another whole meal would be better but nuts would be a much better alternative if you're just looking for a snack

3:00 7 oz chicken breast
                2 cups brocoli

Bump the meats and add carbs

5:00 opt. nutrition mrp 2scoops

Have real food...

6;30 10 oz chicaken breats
                2 cups brown rice

Bump the meat

8:30 pwo shake malto/dext mix

Give oats a try for a few weeks...

10:00 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup oats

Cut your carbs and add fats, 6 whole eggs will be fine
                You know the ropes bro, it's just a matter of doing it - bump the meats and the carbs drastically. Cut out the crap and add in real foods to replace the shakes and measly snacks.

As for variety, I use only the same meats for an entire week (easier prep etc). Same thing, same time - EVERYDAY. If you want variety try different seasonings etc but stick with the "bland" basics...

Comment

I'd say bump the carbs significantly. I have a similar problem in that it takes me a lot of carbs to put on any weight. In fact, I just got off the scale for the first time in a couple weeks of trying to bulk with a 40/40/20 diet and I haven't gained an ounce. I should've known better. I usually have to go to almost 500gms of carbs a day to gain weight. Looks like you don't have much carbs at all, or at least not consistently through the day. I'd add more brown rice, sweet potatoes--you know the list. Good luck!

Comment

Ok sounds good guys I'll make some changes and let you know. Thanks

Comment

I'm trying to get everything going on a routine cause the one I have going right now is pretty time consuming...I spend a good hour and a half each night preparing my meals for the following day. On training days during the week (which are Monday and Wednesday) it gets kinda tight trying to fit in time to make all my food between eating and going to the gym. So I'm thinking of starting to make my meals for two days rather than one. So on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I would be preparing food for the next 2 days. Then Saturday which all I really do is workout that day and do whatever running around I need to do. I will make that food on that day. As far as my actual diet I'm going to mix in some more carbs as stated above mainly brown rice (I'm not big on sweet potatoes). And I'll replace my MRP with a solid meal and change my pwo shake to some oats. Those changes will get me over 500 cals and probably make for a better daily routine. As far as at the gym I'll try to ad a few more reps and see how that effects my gains.

Comment

im pretty sure i can speak 4 control ( i hope!) here n hed tell u to go with whole eggs and 2 forget about egg whites if bulking...i was eatin like 8 whits and 2 yolks and he suggested go with 6 whole eggs

Comment

Originally posted by zed
                          im pretty sure i can speak 4 control ( i hope!) here n hed tell u to go with whole eggs and 2 forget about egg whites if bulking...i was eatin like 8 whits and 2 yolks and he suggested go with 6 whole eggs
                          Yeah I read that, but I eat a little over 80 eggs a week. And in my opinion eating all those yolks can't be good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by zed
                            Control has made some really good points and while I don't neccesarily disagree with him that a healthy bodybuilder can eat all of these whole eggs, I can assure you that he is not going to tell you it is unhealthy to eat egg whites with a few whole eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by meat12
                              Yeah I read that, but I eat a little over 80 eggs a week. And in my opinion eating all those yolks can't be good for you.
                              yah thats a lotta yolks lol...i love the constantly changing avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X