Paleo/Primal Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo/Primal Diet

What do you guys think of this thought process for a diet? Think I may give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how I feel, but supplementation will still be included.

The Paleo Diet Defined

Paleo is a simple dietary lifestyle that is based on foods being either in or out. In are the Paleolithic Era foods that we ate prior to agriculture and animal husbandry (meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, tree nuts, vegetables, roots, fruit, berries, mushrooms, etc.). Out are Neolithic Era foods that result from agriculture or animal husbandry (grains, dairy, beans/legumes, potatoes, sugar and fake foods).
    Optimal Foraging Theory says our ancestors mostly ate foods that were easiest to hunt or gather at that specific locale. As nomads we would have adapted to various mixes of foods. Under the paleo concept the quantities consumed of each “in” food is up to the individual. You can make it meat heavy if you want, or more fruit and veggies if you prefer, as long as the foods you eat are paleo. Fruits in the Paleolithic would have been tart and smaller, and you may want to limit modern fruit because of this.

Acceptable oils should be restricted to those from fruits (olive, oil palm, avocado) or tree nuts (coconut, walnut, almond, hazelnut, pecan, macadamia). No high-tech industrial seed oils could have existed back then. Wild game meat would be the ideal, but grass-fed meat is used as a practical substitute. The grass-fed is needed to get the proper balance of Omega 3 (from green plants) and Omega 6 (from seeds) fatty acids. Organ meats and bone marrow are very paleo. No processed meats. Consumption of fat from grass-fed animals need not be restricted. See Gary Taubes's Good Calories, Bad Calories. Fish should be wild-caught. For everything else organic is preferred, as this is the best we can do to get food free of modern pollutants and with the original micronutrients.

The effort to collect most seeds would not be as optimal as collecting other foods, unless collected as a condiment for the seed’s taste. Some meaty seeds, like sunflower, may have been a food. To protect their reproductive cycle, plants put anti-nutrients in seed coverings to discourage animal consumption (phytic acid, lectins, and enzyme inhibitors). Fruit seeds are not supposed to be digested, but to pass through and still be viable. They would never have been a food.

Eat the greatest variety of foods possible. Bush hunters kill whatever they find moving. Foragers note that there are more than 300 edible plants that our ancestors would have known about. Many are leafy greens. A wide range of herbs and spices is encouraged.

Salt should not be added to food. They did not have salt shakers. After removing added salt from your diet your taste buds will lose the tolerance they developed for salt. The same thing happens after sweetness is removed.

The only beverage that is truly paleo is water. You need to drink only when you are thirsty. The best is spring water that has been certified to be free of pharmaceuticals, with no chlorine or fluoride added. Buy in large PET bottles. See report on: Pharmaceuticals lurking in U.S. drinking water. If you want caffeine, organic green tea is the most paleo. It is the least processed. Coffee is a seed inside a fruit and is not edible raw. Fruit juice is concentrated fructose that would not have existed and would not be paleo.

Agave “nectar” is just the marketing name for High Fructose Agave Syrup and it should be avoided. The only paleo sweetener is raw honey, and only in limited quantities. You could argue that very dilute maple syrup is paleo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is an interesting concept. I think some of the rationalization is a bit suspect but the basic premise, to keep food as "natural" and unprocessed as possible, is hard to argue with.

Let us know what you think. I am vegetarian and can't do too well on such a diet bit I would be curious to hear of your experience.

Comment

how would you lay your diet out using those principles?

wild deer

wild bore

antelope

weeds

? lol come on bro. its none sense.

if you want to eat clean and healthy and natural that is fine. but what you posted above is rubbish.
      Last edited by Bouncer; 03-18-10, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Well, the premise is actually interesting. The fact that things like gluten intolerance came after organized grain farming made significant changes to our diet, something that perhaps our bodies have not adapted to. I am skeptical of the scientific basis of some of the claims but I wouldn't dismiss it outright as nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post

wild deer

wild bore

antelope

weeds

if you want to eat clean and healthy and natural that is fine. but what you posted above is rubbish.
          B, I wouldn't follow it exactly as laid out. It would still be chicken and fish based. I would drop all grains, and use fruits as carbs. I'd stay away from beans and peanut butter, and rely on almonds and olive oil.

I see nothing wrong with the way I eat now. But if something has the possiblity of working, why not give it a shot?

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysgrowing View Post
            B, I wouldn't follow it exactly as laid out. It would still be chicken and fish based. I would drop all grains, and use fruits as carbs. I'd stay away from beans and peanut butter, and rely on almonds and olive oil.

I see nothing wrong with the way I eat now. But if something has the possiblity of working, why not give it a shot?
            so your just going to eat fish, chicken, fruits and nuts? all your carbs are going to come from simple carb sources?

i guess its a better diet then the average american but is not a better diet then a clean bodybuilding diet.

dont expect to be putting on any kind of size with a diet like that.

Comment

Not to be an ass but weren't people really small and short and died at a young age when they ate this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz View Post
                Not to be an ass but weren't people really small and short and died at a young age when they ate this way?
                While the science behind the paleo diet is dubious at best, there is no causality established for this.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post

wild deer

wild bore

antelope

weeds

I tend to agree but unfortunately no doubt some will buy into this crap. Foragers would eat all they could when food was available, they would stuff themselves until they puked then ate their puke back up. Then they may go for days w/o another meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                    While the science behind the paleo diet is dubious at best, there is no causality established for this.
                    But it had to be part of the cause; healthier and diverse eating has significantly increased the life span, their is no denying that.

Comment

I do beleive that infection and disease would have been the cause for shorter life. We take things like neosporin, hydrogen perozide, and penicilin for granted. A cut or strep throat could have been deadly back then. I have been doing some more research on the topic, but can't find anything definitive

Comment

the "caveman" diet was not this brilliant healthy diet that people want to make it out to be.

its was eat what you can when you can to survive. jam a bunch of meat in your mouth and then eat again 2 days later type deal.

evolution happens for a reason. we are not meant to eat like they did.

sure the way people eat today is disgusting, but we are not talking about normal people here.

we are talking about a healthy bodybuilding diet VS the diet proposed in this thread. and in that regard, the healthy bodybuilding diet is superior in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by Konitz View Post
                          But it had to be part of the cause; healthier and diverse eating has significantly increased the life span, their is no denying that.
                          We live longer than ever in America while our diet is worse than it ever has been in history with the most obese people in our population ever. Medical techniques and drugs have extended our life span, diet has had nothing to do with it. The majority of Americans eat fast food and donuts.

Comment

The primary premise of the paleo diet is to eschew foods that appeared in the human diet after the advent of organized agriculture, i.e. sometime in the last 10,000 years. So, no farmed grains and fruits, primarily. This results in a diet that is high on protein, relatively low on carbs and with a fair amount of good fats (nuts, etc.). Sound familiar? It's a lot like the diet most people on this board aspire for.

There are a variety of factors leading to the increased life span of today. Better quality food is one, more food and a dependable supply is another. Probably the most signficant is the advances in curing diseases, as well as a general reduction in danger and risk. One can argue that modern agriculture allowed for food to be readily available - there is a lot of truth to that. I don't think a paleo diet is capable of sustaining the world's population, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysgrowing View Post
                              I do beleive that infection and disease would have been the cause for shorter life. We take things like neosporin, hydrogen perozide, and penicilin for granted. A cut or strep throat could have been deadly back then. I have been doing some more research on the topic, but can't find anything definitive
                              The article certainly rings true however when it voices against processed shit passed off as food in today's diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X