Chicken liver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken liver

Today I was required to purchase 200g of chicken liver for a recipe. Not something I have ever used before in my gourmet cooking but apparently 200g of liver has around 60g of protein.

Now 200g of liver cost me $1.50!! That's a pretty damn cheap source of protein right??

I have done a bit of reading and it looks like there is decent amount of fats in there but nothing excessive.

Not something you would use while cutting but I can't think of any other cheaper protein source??

High in cholesterol too.

"One chicken liver contains 2.86 grams of total fat, with 0.9 grams being saturated. The same chicken liver has 248 milligrams of cholesterol. Healthy adults with normal LDL cholesterol readings should consume less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol each day, the American Heart Association reports."

Comment

Chicken liver pate ftw

Comment

And you do realize what the livers primary function is, right? Hence the reason it's $1.50 :x

Comment

I love beef, chicken, duck, goose liver - you name it. But it is a rare treat as BLM points out it is a cholesterol bomb and as FB says - you are basically eating all the bad shit the animal didn't want in it's blood as liver is the filter. Liver, ice cream, bacon, and ribeye steaks - things I eat 1 or 2x a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
            Chicken liver pate ftw
            Short Rib-Foie GRAS stuffed burger, gold leaf aioli, house pickles and truffle parm fries. :thumb:
            Attached Files

Comment

What's liver taste like/close to? I've always been repulsed by the idea of eating it so never tried it.lol

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                What's liver taste like/close to? I've always been repulsed by the idea of eating it so never tried it.lol

I don't even think the taste can be compared to anything else ?

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                  And you do realize what the livers primary function is, right? Hence the reason it's $1.50 :x
                  Lol, there is no risk in eating it. People have been eating it for years. Plenty of research out there. I'm sure you have eaten worse. The only concern I have is the high cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
                    Lol, there is no risk in eating it. People have been eating it for years. Plenty of research out there. I'm sure you have eaten worse. The only concern I have is the high cholesterol.

I didn't say there was a risk, and you don't know what I've eaten! :thankyou:

Comment

I didn't say there was a risk, and you don't know what I've eaten! :thankyou:
                      Well put it this way. I'm sure you have had dirtier things in your mouth than liver. :grin:

Comment

I totally twisted that around didn't I

Comment

Well put it this way. I'm sure you have had dirtier things in your mouth than liver. :grin:

False! :spank:

Comment

I totally twisted that around didn't I

There's no high end meat costing $1.50 lol

Comment

There's no high end meat costing $1.50 lol
                              Some high end meat is free!!

Comment

Working...
                              X