Ketogenic Lifestyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back, FB!

Do you do refeeds? The cyclic ketogenic diet (CKD) is very effective for fat loss. Lyle McDonald has a book on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      Welcome back, FB!

Do you do refeeds? The cyclic ketogenic diet (CKD) is very effective for fat loss. Lyle McDonald has a book on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nope, most of the gurus I'm reading don't really recommend that for the average Joe. More for athletes already at a fairly low body fat doing high intensity/volume training. Someone like Bouncer would likely go that route. For me it would likely be more detrimental since fat loss and recomposition is my main goal.

Comment

You are doing a bro-keto diet. True keto you need to get your protein much lower and fat higher.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
          You are doing a bro-keto diet. True keto you need to get your protein much lower and fat higher.

That's false. If I were seeking ketosis it for medical reasons, such as epilepsy, then I would certainly agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
            oh wow, never heard you talk about it before. Do you do strict keto, or more "if it fits your macros" style?
            I don't keep track of my macros. Besides making sure my carbs stay under 50 a day.

Comment

I am just saying it is not a textbook keto diet.

Comment

What's an example of the foods you eat fb? I thought keto diet was pretty much fat and protein and no carbs? But I don't claim to be any sort of expert on it so I'm not 100% on that.

Have you found that all your food allergies have disappeared? You had issues with gluten and you are actually one of the few that isn't just following the anti gluten trend because you in fact have celiacs disease correct? Has this diet removed all the issues from that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                  What's an example of the foods you eat fb? I thought keto diet was pretty much fat and protein and no carbs? But I don't claim to be any sort of expert on it so I'm not 100% on that.

Have you found that all your food allergies have disappeared? You had issues with gluten and you are actually one of the few that isn't just following the anti gluten trend because you in fact have celiacs disease correct? Has this diet removed all the issues from that?

It is - no grains or sugar, carbs from limited sources (greens, primarily) and under 20g net carbs. There are different ideas/ways that people follow. I choose to follow the stricter version because I want to burn the fat on my body, not the 200g of butter and heavy cream others are consuming. And obviously it's going to take me being stricter for me to lose because I have less. The diet can be a pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like condiments (sugar is in everything!)etc, but I'm so used to be limited anyway that it doesn't bother me.

Yes, I have celiac. I've known for a long time that I probably *should* give up grains, better never really experimented and just dealt with the bloat. The difference in how I feel NOW is amazing. The bloat is gone, I sleep better than I have in 15 years, and I'm rarely hungry. It's also a really good way to find out what other foods are inflammatory. Like dairy, for instance, or nuts. I didn't notice the realllly major changes until I also cut those out.

Comment

FB, there was a question about hemp protein on another thead. I thought you were looking into protein alternatives when you were getting rid of dairy, and therefore, whey protein. Did you end up trying hemp protein?

Comment

Can you post up links to some simple meals that you are enjoying?

Keto vs Paleo in a nutshell?

I need to make some changes. I can't shake off this belly/side fat. I lose all my muscle mass when I try to diet down, and calling my muscles a "mass" is a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post

I need to make some changes. I can't shake off this belly/side fat. I lose all my muscle mass when I try to diet down, and calling my muscles a "mass" is a stretch.
                        Haha, while I support any positive diet changes you want to make, it would be a whole lot easier on some test, masteron, and Winny. :D

Comment

Paleo is more about natural foods. Anything that has a face, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds. No diary, no beans, no peanuts because they aren't actually nuts, no artificial sweeteners.

When I do Paleo I make alot of soups and stews, loaded with veggies and meat.

I guess the biggest difference is, Paleo allows natural sugars, keto does not.

Paleo you can eat carrots - Keto you shouldn't

Comment

Paleo is also not necessarily low carb. They do a lot of almond/coconut flour, coconut/palm sugar, honey/maple, etc. As Frank said, they're all about eating natural. Keto sort of takes it to the next level. Just because something is natural (corn, carrots) does not mean it is good for you.

If I could recommend one thing, it would be to follow the strict group. I read SO many things, different variations, and joined tons of groups. Sure, you'll start losing with the crew that eats 50g of protein and 200g of fat, but soon you'll be wondering what's going on. Save yourself! This site has a wealth of information. These guys are serious.
                            https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index There's also a KetoGains Facebook group that's great. They make it real clear they don't put up with BS, and they are not a support group. They don't want to hold you hand and talk about it. Sort of like this place. :D Science based or GTFO. This is the macro calculator they use. https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ The bottom portion is a little tricky if you aren't reading through. Just make sure to choose sedentary, KetoGains recommended, and lower the fat until it matches the calories set - if fat loss is your goal.

Comment

I'll post a couple of recipes I've made. Right now I'm not eating dairy, so it becomes more limited. After about 6 weeks, I'll allow it for a week or so. I have some recipes planned for that week already, haha.

Oh, one other HUGE difference when eating this way -- electrolytes. They MUST be supplemented or you will absolutely feel like crap and quit.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                                Paleo is also not necessarily low carb. They do a lot of almond/coconut flour, coconut/palm sugar, honey/maple, etc. As Frank said, they're all about eating natural. Keto sort of takes it to the next level. Just because something is natural (corn, carrots) does not mean it is good for you.

If I could recommend one thing, it would be to follow the strict group. I read SO many things, different variations, and joined tons of groups. Sure, you'll start losing with the crew that eats 50g of protein and 200g of fat, but soon you'll be wondering what's going on. Save yourself! This site has a wealth of information. These guys are serious.
                                https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index There's also a KetoGains Facebook group that's great. They make it real clear they don't put up with BS, and they are not a support group. They don't want to hold you hand and talk about it. Sort of like this place. :D Science based or GTFO. This is the macro calculator they use. https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ The bottom portion is a little tricky if you aren't reading through. Just make sure to choose sedentary, KetoGains recommended, and lower the fat until it matches the calories set - if fat loss is your goal.
                                good post

I know all about celiac, my GF has it. So I totally see your side and feel your pain.

I'll take a pic of her food list of what she can and can't have

Comment

Working...
                                X