Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.ruled.me/mythbusting-training-on-keto-diet/

Mythbusting: You Need Carbs to Build Muscle

People that tell you this don’t understand how muscle building really works – it’s entirely possible to be gaining muscle mass while on keto.

In a simple way, the 3 easy steps to build muscle are:

1. Eating enough protein – For mass building between 1.0 – 1.2g / pound of LEAN body mass.
    2. Eating a calorie surplus – You can’t build muscle without eating more calories than you need, and these come from fats in a ketogenic diet.
    3. Training correctly – You need to promote hypertrophy in your muscles.

Are carbs good for building muscle? Of course they are – they promote insulin release and help restore glycogen in the muscles. With carbs you gain mass quicker, but that’s because you’re also gaining fat.

What exactly is glycogen? It’s a molecule that our bodies use as energy.

What exactly does glycogen do? Wikipedia explains it nicely:

In humans, glycogen is made and stored primarily in the cells of the liver and the muscles, and functions as the secondary long-term energy storage (with the primary energy stores being fats held in adipose tissue).

Muscle cell glycogen appears to function as an immediate reserve source of available glucose for muscle cells. Other cells that contain small amounts use it locally as well.

As you can see, glycogen is being used as a secondary source of energy, where fats are being used over it. Once your body has become adapted to using fats (you’re in ketosis), then little glycogen is actually needed.

That little amount of glycogen you need? Well it can be created from the protein you eat in a process known as gluconeogenesis.

Are carbs necessary for building muscle? Of course not – You can still refill glycogen stores in muscles through a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic diet can be great for building muscle, as the protein intake is high and you’re unlikely to lose muscle mass. If you are unsure of what your nutrient intake should be, head over to our Keto Calculator to help out.

Putting mass on may be slower on a ketogenic diet, but that’s because you’re putting lean mass on. If you need to put total mass on quicker, you can achieve your goals through other methods. Seek advice in my alternative ketogenic diet post.

If it’s not about building muscle, people will argue that performance is decreased while on a ketogenic diet. That just isn’t true at all. This study was done on well trained cyclists who were on a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks.

The results show that aerobic endurance was not compromised at all. Their bodies adapted through ketosis, limiting both glucose and glycogen stores, and using fats as the predominant energy source.

Before your body enters ketosis and can use fats as the primary source of energy, you will see some strength and endurance loss. BUT, once your body becomes adapted to the fat intake, you will begin to convert fats into ketones to be used as a source of energy for both strength and endurance.

Even if you are doing very long cardio training, marathons and biking included, a ketogenic diet has been proven time and time again.

Summed up, the paper explains that a very low carbohydrate ketogenic diet can be useful for weight-class based athletes in their respective sport. Over the 30 day period of the study, on 8 different athletes, the results came out to be the same.

The athletes were fed a strict diet of green vegetables, olive oil, and high quality proteins (fish and meat). In all of their physical tests, they performed the same as when the initial tests were done.

Each athlete decreased their body weight, their body fat, and kept their muscle mass near enough the same. None of them had negative effects on their strength performance over the course of the study.

Comment

moochie maybe i'll change my mind as more and more science comes (i'm not close minded on the issue) but right now i'm still not sold. the Olympics were only a year ago and many of those records were smashed by people who put thier diets up on social media. it was literally the exact opposite of a keto diet. do you really think the top elite Olympians in the world with some of the best science and coaching teams behind them are just out of touch with the newest cutting edge diets? i find that hard to believe.

as for that guy that's pretty jacked building his mass on keto. do you really think when he started training the first few years (when most people put on most of their mass) he was on a keto diet? i just don't see a teenager or young guy getting into weight training saying "let me start out by cutting out all my carbs. it seems more realistic that he made the switch at some point and now simply says "keto works for me" which gives the wrong impression. yes keto works for him but only after he got jacked by traditional means. those are assumptions I admit because i wasn't there to see what he actually did but my experience tells me most guys dont get into lifting by starting out of the gate with keto.

keto has it's place and as more science comes out i'm willing to give it an open minded look. but right now there are way too many elite athletes and cutting edge olympic teams who have their athletes on carbs carbs carbs. records keep falling so it's hard for me to believe that keto offfers optimal performance over carbohydrates.

Comment

Working...
      X