Summer garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer garden

Anybody else got a garden going so they can get some good fresh fruits and veggies?

I live in a condo, so I only do container gardening. Just flowers and shrubs.

In my house that I have rented out, we used to grow a lot of veggies. Tomatoes, squash, zucchini, beans, cabbage. One year, we got about 150 lbs of tomatoes. Froze hundreds of them and used them all winter.

What have you got planted there? Looks like corn, and is it beans in front? What's in the planter?
    Last edited by Scrumhalf; 06-07-20, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      I live in a condo, so I only do container gardening. Just flowers and shrubs.

In my house that I have rented out, we used to grow a lot of veggies. Tomatoes, squash, zucchini, beans, cabbage. One year, we got about 150 lbs of tomatoes. Froze hundreds of them and used them all winter.

What have you got planted there? Looks like corn, and is it beans in front? What's in the planter?
      In the ground from left to right is corn, green beans, okra, and on the far end I have a few watermelon plants and some squash. In the planters I have tomatoes, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. I'm really hoping to get a good harvest this year. I have planted the garden next to my house because we get some pretty serious thunderstorms in the summer that have wrecked the garden on years past. Hopefully it will make it thru this time. Fingers crossed. 150lbs of tomatoes!! That seems great out of containers.

Comment

I don't have much room in my apartment, only a small balcony that isn't positioned well for sun. Lots of trees surround the balcony but we do get a few hours a day.

This will be the saddest "garden" that anyone has ever seen but can anyone tell me what this is? Basically I bought a plant a few years ago that died. I pulled it out and kept the pot and soil. Over the months and years I've taken an avacado seed, grape seeds, orange seeds, strawberries, blueberries etc.. basically anytime I have left over or rotten fruit I just put it into the soil instead of throwing it out. LMAO.

Anyway I'm sure it's some kind of fruit or veggie I just don't know which it is..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Attached Files

Comment

Problem I have with growing anything is we are surrounded by trees including a redwood that's about 2 miles high...

Attached Files

Comment

The 150lbs of tomatoes were from when I was living in my house and we had a huge backyard to place stuff in. No way to do that from containers in my condo patio!

Okra is good! I grew that too one year and it came out pretty good. I have found cabbage to be the hardest to grow. All my plantings are organic and I found cabbage to be an insect magnet. No idea how the hell the pros do it.

Comment

I've never tried cabbage or lettuce before. I'm in the south east, so I would have to plant those pretty early here. I'm not sure what you've got growing in that pot bouncer. It'll be a surprise lol.

Comment

Great job! I'm working on my spinach and eggplant.

Comment

Eggplant is good. Haven't grown it in a few years.

Another one worth growing is mint. Just prepare a bed, buy some fresh mint from the store and plant the stalks in the ground.. It's a perennial and will grow like crazy. Never died down over winter in Portland, which is wet but not too cold. Not sure what would happen in real winters. Mint is really expensive, so it is nice to have at home so you don't have to buy it.

Comment

Eggplant is good. Haven't grown it in a few years.

Another one worth growing is mint. Just prepare a bed, buy some fresh mint from the store and plant the stalks in the ground.. It's a perennial and will grow like crazy. Never died down over winter in Portland, which is wet but not too cold. Not sure what would happen in real winters. Mint is really expensive, so it is nice to have at home so you don't have to buy it.
                    Interesting. I like the idea of having fresh mint growing. I'm in SC so the winters are typically pretty.mild here as well. I'm familiar with Portland, been there once in the winter.

Comment

Still don't know wtf this is.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like some kind of squash. Zucchini, maybe?

Comment

Looks like some kind of squash. Zucchini, maybe?
                          could be scrum, my mom thinks maybe cantelope. i would throw rotten veggies or fruit we didn't eat into the pot last winter and push it down into the soil. figured if anything it would create some rich soil lol.

i'll update as she grows. :D

Comment

Yeah, most of the melons, cantaloupe, etc. look similar. Just let it grow. They like sunshine, so see if you set it out where it gets as much sun as possible.

Comment

Yeah, most of the melons, cantaloupe, etc. look similar. Just let it grow. They like sunshine, so see if you set it out where it gets as much sun as possible.
                              Slowly starting to flower. Look like anything you know?

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X