No announcement yet.

To Add Or Not To Add Protein Powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheyman, the articles I've read don't really get into that much detail and I don't really want to look up the scholarly articles the authors use as sources to see if they mention anything about timing, that would take way too much time. But, from what I remember one article is talking about taking in protein immediately before eating the carbs. In another article I remember them talking about drinking a protein shake a few minutes before a meal.

So, if you want the carbs to absorb fast take them in before the protein and fat, if you want them to absorb slow take them in after.
    Last edited by AvidFisherman; 01-27-16, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Decided I'm gonna do 50 grams protein and 25 grams carbs in PWO shake. Will be interesting to see if I notice any real change. Like beast said, if anything its an additional 50 grams protein to put on size.

Comment

I haven't read anything about how it affects people on AAS but my bro science logic thinks the effects are compounded by the increased protein synthesis.

Comment

For sure, the body is obviously more efficient at using protein on hormona.

Comment

Save your money imo

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              This is where I think people get off track. You guys are now talking about carb timing and when to eat it vs when to eat the protein etc... Guys on paper this might make a small difference but in reality there isn't one. Quick easily digestible protein and a bit of carbs immediately after a hard workout is all you need. Stressing over the tiny details just isn't nessisary or worth your time. Give your body what it needs to grow and grow it shall!
              I hear you buddy, I feel the same way which is why I don't really mess with a lot of supplements. You can drive yourself mad with all the articles. Fasted cardio is recommended. No wait, it's not or you'll lose muscle. Take Vitamin C. Too much vitamin c is bad. WTF LOL.

Certain things just intrigue me and this stuff about carb timing intrigued me for my dad since he's a diabetic.

At my current stage, my main concern is overall health. Not bulking, cutting, or getting stronger, but just being a little more healthy each week.

Comment

I never actually searched before but this is a cheaper source of fast acting carbs than gummy bears.

NOW Dextrose at Bodybuilding.com: Best Prices for Dextrose

Comment

Bringing back memories with that. I used to use all that shit. Dextro, malto, etc.. Still go back to my point. The difference between using dextrose over a year compared to basic table sugar for PWO is so negligible that its not worth the time of ordering the dextrose. The difference in results would not be noticeable to the eye. I like to concentrate my efforts on things that have big effects. Drive yourself crazy getting nowhere only to realize that all along you've been dicking around with each individual tree instead of focusing on the forest.

Comment

I forgot to mention insulin sensitivity. This quote further corroborates the idea that it is a good idea to have fast acting protein and carbs right after working out.

"It's also important to note that IS gets stronger the more you work out. The catabolic effect of exercise increases IS during a work out and for about 30-45 minutes post workout"

Comment

Heads up for anyone who goes to Costco. ON Whey is $12 off starting today.

Comment

I just make a shake with slow digesting carbs (oats and 2 tbps of PB) or a meal with chicken and rice (you taught me that). I don't see how it can hurt for the protein intake. Have a meal an hour or so after the shake.

I stopped buying into the insulin spike bs years ago. I think it helps put on BF with little benefit if any. The gym sells shakes with crushed up oreos lol. Lot of fatties bought them...

Comment

The only thing I'd change jack is drop the PB and add in a banana. The one thing that is pretty much universally agreed on is that fat isn't much benefit in a PWO meal. It's great other times of the day but all that fat is doing in PWO meal is slowing the shit out of your ability to utilize that protein.

Comment

in my opinion I would add the protein. I don't see any downside to taking protein powder post workout. You can't go wrong.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Yes, you can add protein poweder

Comment

Working...
                                X