Lagging Delts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lagging Delts

i think i need to switch up my shoulder workout a little.

i've notice that my anterior delts have grown to have some nice size and shape to it - enough to see a cut whenever i lift my arm up to the side. but i feel as if my lateral and rear delt just aren't changing much. i don't see a lot more depth developing - and i was trying to watch myself work my rear delts yesterday, and i don't think i see any development there.

right now - my shoulder routine is:

smith military press
    db shoulder press
    upright rows
    lateral raises
    front raises
    seated bent over rear raises

any recommendations on how i should change it up? "interesting" exercises that i can try to throw a little spice into my workout?

Sana- How many sets and reps? That sounds like a few too many motions for one workout, you may be overdoing it just a bit. You may want to try doing your upright rows on the days you train your back. PM me if you want a few suggestions on bringing up your exterior and posterior delts (shoulders are one of my fav. body parts to train ;) )

Comment

i'm doing 4 sets per and 15,12,10,10 (8) reps - moving up in weight.

expect a PM ;)

i was thinking of adding rear delt on back day.... i do my upright rows somewhat with a wider grip b/c i don't want to involve too much trap. i have traps that like to grow and they get engaged enough in all my movements on back day (at least i think they do).

Comment

PM coming back at ya soon :D

Comment

I have to add a rear delt day in with another day as well. I still don't see any outstanding changes in that area until I am dieted down and then my rears POP.

I do a total shoulder day and work every angle and then add rear delt on with back or biceps.

Comment

i had been thinking about adding a rear delt exercise on back day. i just don't want to over-do it either i guess :confused:

Comment

I am just sure to skip 2-3 days between total shoulder and that added rear delt day.

It's hard at first but once you I got used to it I really like it and the results were worth the extra effort. I just do 9 sets on the rear delt day and go as heavy as I can. On the total shoulder day I just do 6 rear delt sets and stay fairly light since they are already fatigued from the rest of my work out.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Comment

thanks - i will ;)

Comment

It looks like a solid routine, only thing I would suggest, keep everything normal except for both ur presses, go light to real heavy, about 3-4 reps and ur done, and take a good couple min breaj in between and do a good 5 sets with this or untill u cant hit 2 anymore. Heavy+Low reps=Mass

Comment

Ive really never had a problem with the delts.

Comment

Hey Sana! Wow, you're doing a lot of exercises for delts.
                      Why don't you try cutting it back to say 3 or 4 exercises and use your rep range of 6-12 for 3 or 4 sets.
                      Here's a sample of what I do for shoulders
                      Seated Dumbbell Press: 3-4 sets---12,10,8,6
                      (I'll alternate these with barbell military presses)
                      Side Dumbbell Laterals:3- 4 sets---12,10,8,6
                      Bent-over Laterals: 3 -4 sets----12,10.8.6
                      Shrugs:3-4 sets---12,10,8,6

This seems to work for me. I also increase the weight with each successive set. Good luck sweets!:)

Comment

One more thing, if you usually use dumbbells for your delt work, try switching it up once in a while. Usually once a month, I'll do cable work for my delts instead of using dumbbells.
                        I'll do single cable side laterals, cable front laterals and bent over cable laterals. I like the negative that I get with the cables and it's good to throw in once in a while for change. I also tend to work in a little bit of a higher rep range with the cables than with the dumbbells. I'll work between 8 and 15 reps.
                        Just an idea for ya' ;)

Comment

too much too much too much

you have to remember that EVERY upper body movement to some extent affects the shoulders (hence why so many people have problems). so make to add it those sets to your total. just as most back exercises have bicep contraction in them same for shoulders. and remember just because it is not a direct exercise does not mean that it doesn't contribute to your total body fatigue.

Comment

sana, all your exercises are focused on the front head of the delt, your over training it and then some

use smith machine presses, tilt the seat back to an 80 degree angle, followed by front raises.
                            Then hit the medial heads, instead of keeping the arm straight, keep your slbows tucked in, and when you extend, twist your wrists in an out ward motion, sort of like pouring a pitcher, then to fully exhaust, go staright to the cables, and do lateral raises, but keep the arm behind your back and extend
                            for the rear delts, either brace yourself againts the bench, or do them sitting and bent over, exhaust that with using the pec dec in a reverse manner

each week, switch up from smith machine to dumbells, and rotate the order of which delt head you hit first, this way you wont keeping trying to increase muscle density in a speific head, when your pretty much burned out by the end of the session

Comment

thanks for the additional advice. i've cut my shoulder day down to 4 exercies similar to what fyre posted up top. i will take the cable work into consideration and switch up my routine every so often with that.

i'll keep u guys updated ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X