X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deads, Squats, and Wieght Belts.....

got 2 questions guys....

1) if im spliting up my work outs into a 3 day push, pull, legs split

Monday - Push (standing barbell shoulder press, incline bench, flat DB flies, and dips)

Wednesday - Pull (Pretty much any back and bicep excercise)

Friday - Legs

Where would I throw in dead lifts? On the pull or legs day???

2) How do you guys feel about wearing wieght belts for squats and deads and standing shoulder press???

Ive got mixed answers on this in the past.....Ive been around power lifters all my life and some wear them all the time while others will say that if you wear them all the time then you are making your core stabalizer muscles weak and therefore more prone to injury.
    Ive heard guys say that you should only wear a wieght belt if you are lifting super heavy like in a competition, or if you have a prior injury.........and others will say that if you dont wear one when lifting then you are just asking for an injury. What do you guys think?

Re: Deads, Squats, and Wieght Belts.....

Originally posted by largely
    Ive heard guys say that you should only wear a wieght belt if you are lifting super heavy like in a competition, or if you have a prior injury.........and others will say that if you dont wear one when lifting then you are just asking for an injury. What do you guys think?
    :agree:

Yeah I would reccomend not using a weight belt it doesn't let you build your core muscles at all. You need a strong core for stability purposes

Comment

Deads are much more of a back exercise rather than legs, unless you're doing stiff legged deads. And it is a pull exercise too. I believe you should only wear a back belt if you're prone to back injury or are lifting extremely heavy. I believe back belts do take off some of the stress from your core muscles, therefore your abs and lower back wont be strenghthened. Once you get up to the weight that G-S is using, then yea go ahead and get a belt. Til then, do your abs and back a favor.

Comment

for sure, thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

what about in my case...
          I work my upper body and lower body every other day
          so a day-upper body, b day-lower body....

on the upper body day i work my back and my abs.....should i do the dead lifts on the upper body day or wait for the lower body day?

Comment

Depending on how your doing deads, if it's bent knee do it with upper...straight leg go with lower.

Comment

Re: Re: Deads, Squats, and Wieght Belts.....

Originally posted by meat12
              :agree:

Yeah I would reccomend not using a weight belt it doesn't let you build your core muscles at all. You need a strong core for stability purposes
              I disagree completely. A weight belt plays a vital role in any power movement, prevents injury, keeps your body tight and form stict, and is needed if you intend on adding poundages to your power lifts.

Comment

Well ... I agree with both of you. The idea that it restricts development of your core muscles...is still an issue of great debate...I am sure G-S can educate us on the roids that come from the butt and not go into it:D in arguement of trunk stabilizer involvement!

helping keep the form is a valid arguement...but injury prevention is still out with the jury (NOT that I don't have an opinion)

Not quite Elite athletes can go both ways on this one. Some use a weight belt thinking that they can be sloppy and they are protected...even worse ... they will miss a weight...then strap up and try something heavier. Kind of like the guys that think that eye black in cool tribal patterns on their cheeks make them hit harder! Others will use it as a crutch and wear it the WHOLE time they work out...every exercise, every set, and while resting. In this case they 'might' hinder some core activity but it probably isn't tight enough to make a bit of difference.

G-S it is nice to see someone that advocates the use of a Weight Belt but pulls w/o straps. I am sure you know too many people that whore the lifting accessories to a laughable degree.

I am timid to give my recomendation ... I have DL 565 x2 with straps:confused: , Squat 565 x 4 with OUT a weight belt (but I could also tumble @ 255lbs).

Comfort, individual goals and your school of thought need to be your guide. DEFF--If your trying to find the handles on the top of the gym so you can lift the whole thing (G-S) please belt/wrap/and pray! My honest advice is that if you NEED to ask...Please use one (at least for a trial)

Good luck and happy pulling!

Comment

Working...
                X