Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

I'm a college basketball player and we're staring up pre-season conditioning in 2 weeks and man I've worked so hard this spring/summer in the weight room to pack on 14lbs of solid muscle and I don't won't to run it all off, you know. My routine has been the following:
    MON:chest
    TUES: off
    WED:arms
    THURS:legs
    FRI: off
    SAT:back/shoulders
    SUN: off

The thing is once we begin I'm only gonna be able to hit the weights hard at a max of three days a week. So how can i adjust my routine to help me maintain what i've worked so hard to get. Also, should I up my protein and carb inatke during this period of intense running to also help. I really appreciate any help I can get from you guys.

1st day--Chest/triceps. 2nd. day---back/biceps. 3rd. day--legs/shoulders. In that order. You didn't mention any shoulder work in your current routine, guess you just missed it. BB

Comment

Appreciate the reply BB. But, yeah, on SAT i do back/shoulders. you probably just overlooked it. what should i do as far as nutrition?

Comment

Originally posted by rippedsucka
        Appreciate the reply BB. But, yeah, on SAT i do back/shoulders. you probably just overlooked it. what should i do as far as nutrition?
        Still get as much protein as you can, but you're going to have to increase, GREATLY, your intake of carbs, complex carbs. If you don't, you body is going to have to depend on whatever it can get as fuel, and that's usually muscle. I know you're going to burn probably twice the calories or more than you do now, so eating enough is totally essential. BB

Comment

turn your body into a food processing plant bro! thats the only way your gonna hold onto your muscle.
          but do it slowly.............don't try to increase your calories a whole lot all in one day. has to be done gradually.

Comment

intake as much protein ass you possibly can... drink at least 2 or 3 protein shakes a day... I know it's hard, espically when on a college student budget but it can be done. Good luck to you bro and keep hitting the weights hard. :)

Comment

Appreciate the help so much fellas. This is why i love this board:D

Comment

what if on your 3 days of lifting u do, day1:chest/bi's, day2:back/tri's, day3: shoulders/legs. that way your bi's and tri's get worked twice a week once when you do your back and chest and once on their isolation day. since they are smaller muscle groups they benefit from extra stimulation since they recover faster, at least thats what ronnie coleman sez!

Comment

Originally posted by MDAM21
                  what if on your 3 days of lifting u do, day1:chest/bi's, day2:back/tri's, day3: shoulders/legs. that way your bi's and tri's get worked twice a week once when you do your back and chest and once on their isolation day. since they are smaller muscle groups they benefit from extra stimulation since they recover faster, at least thats what ronnie coleman sez!
                  Personally I don't think working Tri's the day after chest is a good idea. You use a lot of Tri's working chest. IMO, you shouldn't train ANY bodypart quicker than EOD, if that, (except calves, abs). BB

Comment

Originally posted by bonebreaker
                    Personally I don't think working Tri's the day after chest is a good idea. You use a lot of Tri's working chest. IMO, you shouldn't train ANY bodypart quicker than EOD, if that, (except calves, abs). BB
                    Not to mention trying to do close grip bench presses with sore ass pecs, not a beautiful thing.

Comment

no,,none of the days are consecutive, you have a full day of rest between each lifting day. and if u want u can lift chest and bis on day 1, rest a day, lift shoulders and legs on day2, rest a day, and then lift back and tris. does that make more sense?

Comment

no,,none of the days are consecutive, you have a full day of rest between each lifting day. and if u want u can lift chest and bis on day 1, rest a day, lift shoulders and legs on day2, rest a day, and then lift back and tris. does that make more sense?
                        You could, or you could pair up antagonist muscles like chest/back and bi's/tri's. Either or would work if you add in the rest days.

Comment

true, but there's something about workin back and chest together i just dont like. they are too big ass muscle groupings and i feel like i cant give them both 100 percent if i try to do both on the same day

Comment

true, but there's something about workin back and chest together i just dont like. they are too big ass muscle groupings and i feel like i cant give them both 100 percent if i try to do both on the same day
                            I feel the same way, technically I pair no body parts together other than bi's and tri's because I just don't feel I could hit a body part as hard after I just toasted one prior.

Comment

True, I concur, if indeed he has the day in between. I guess I assumed, probably in error, that he would only have three days in a row to lift. Like Friday, Saturday and Sunday. My bad. BB

Comment

Working...
                              X