No announcement yet.

Tall man squats deep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

perhaps leg press/hip sled for alternate?

Comment

it seems t\o work better because its easier. i agree with everyone elses advice...You have to drop the weight first and build your way up. As i trained to go deeper i also trained to have a closer stance. Just a little closer than should width, same way you always see the pros squating.

I think it hits the quauds a lot better but is harder on your lower back with a more narrow stance but after a while you get used to it. Im only 6'0" though, your much taller than that.

Comment

Using smithe machine to go deeper. Alos leg press machine to go heavy and deep. Keeping free wieght squats at 90. When I go lower my heels like to come up and I'm very flexible. Figure i have enough full range. BS: My gym got rid of Deadlift platform. They might freak when I do straight leg deadlifts off Bench press. Thanks for input.

Comment

i've heard both schools of thought on placing plates underneath ones feet, i've tried it and felt it transferred more of the stress to my quads, but it's also an unnatural angle. core strength (since you're flexible) will probably be key, the proper angle of your back and hips should allow you, with practice, to lower completely and still keep your heels on the ground. you might also experiment using different width stances.

Comment

I would try using a wide stance and practice squating on a box, adjust the box height so that when you squat you break a parallel plain. Your knees should never go forward and your heels should stay planted. I am willing to bet that you need to work on flexability as well as hamstring and core strength. To prove my point try using a box to squat, go parallel and fight the urge to lean forward. Hard, aint it? Your probably sitting on the box right now because you lack the hamstring/core strength needed to perform this movement. Work on your hammys and core strength and stretch every other day. If you wanna see someone do squats properly check out the bros at badattitudegym.com. I speak from first hand experience and it takes time to develope technique. Smith machine is also second class when it come to squating, it forces the body to stay in an unnatural path. It will only facilitate your problem, leave it be. Goodluck and happy stretching

Comment

Originally posted by strongefx
              If you wanna see someone do squats properly check out the bros at badattitudegym.com.
              There is no one way to "squat properly." These guys are going for powerlifting technique. They are using mainly their lower backs and asses.

A bodybuilding squat usually consists of feet shoulder width or less and ass to grass...

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981
                There is no one way to "squat properly." These guys are going for powerlifting technique. They are using mainly their lower backs and asses.

A bodybuilding squat usually consists of feet shoulder width or less and ass to grass...
                I beg to differ, there's no way you will ever convince me otherwise. I'm sorry friend but that powerlifting technique builds strong thick legs. I will give you that they do use their lowerbacks and asses. However, its all secondary to core and leg strength though. "Powerlifting technique" also keeps the upper leg, knee and lower leg all in one nice plane, hence is much safer. Simple geometry fh1981 and its much safer on knee ligaments.

Comment

I beg to differ, there's no way you will ever convince me otherwise. I'm sorry friend but that powerlifting technique builds strong thick legs. I will give you that they do use their lowerbacks and asses. However, its all secondary to core and leg strength though. "Powerlifting technique" also keeps the upper leg, knee and lower leg all in one nice plane, hence is much safer. Simple geometry fh1981 and its much safer on knee ligaments.
                  I don't want to change the topic of this thread but I will defend my stance on this until it becomes too rediculous to do so.

Kinesioligists will tell you that the safest way to perform a squat is to ensure exact ankle, knee and hip allignment. They will also tell you that the bar must remain above the center of the foot no matter what stance you take.

As far as powerlifting goes, it's not wrong. It's just a different way to squat. However, if "bodybuilding" (the goal of building the most amount of mass possible in a particular muscle, in this case the quadriceps), is what the individual is focusing on, then they need to do squats that don't incorporate a powerlifting stance.

When you state...

However, its all secondary to core and leg strength though.
                  I must point out that it's core strength and leg strength that are your main focus. This is fine if you wish to increase those aspects but when it comes to building a physique it is not "always" the amount of strength or power you have. It comes down more to a point of muscle atrophy and your ability to grow, not to always increase strength etc.

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread...but I've been squatting deep for a couple of workouts now and damn, my legs are killing me. I have to say it felt pretty good. My knees don't hurt and my lower back doesn't hurt. I was skeptical at first, but I have to admit that I like it. I mean, I feel it EVERYWHERE....quads, hams, glutes...all of em. My fiance's 3 yr old niece was climbing on my lap this weekend and I had to grit my teeth. She weighs all of 25 lbs but damn...pain.

I still like box squats but I'm going to mix it up and switch between box squats and deep squats. I want build strength in my legs so I don't want to abandon the powerlifting techniques. Anyone think this is a bad idea? I read the entire thread so I know there are differing opinions but is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Comment

I know what you mean about the pain, I've been bumping up the weight and trying to go a little bit lower each workout and I feel it for the rest of the week. I think switching it up would be good, it will let you work the muscles more completely. I cant see where it would hurt you. On the other hand, I dont believe that you can get big and not be stronger. For anyone onther than a pro powerlifter, "bodybuilding" squats are going to make you plenty strong as you get big.

Comment

Working...
                      X